John McCain IV
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on May 21 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:John_McCain_IV. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/John_McCain_IV, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/John_McCain_IV.
|John McCain IV|
|Alma mater||United States Naval Academy|
|Home town||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
John Sidney "Jack" McCain IV (born 1987) is an American military officer.
Early life and education
Following graduation from prep school, McCain enrolled in the Naval Academy Preparatory School for what he described as "mathematical reinforcement". According to McCain, while he had scored a perfect 800 on the verbal portion of his SAT, he had only received a score of 510 on the mathematics section of the test. After a stint at the Naval Academy Preparatory School, McCain was accepted into the United States Naval Academy, from which his father, grandfather, and great-grandfather had graduated. As of 2008, the year before his 2009 graduation, he had an academic ranking a 1,002 out of a class of 1,100.
McCain was commissioned an ensign in the United States Navy in 2009 and trained as a helicopter pilot. McCain completed three deployments to the Territory of Guam as a pilot with HSC-25, a search and rescue and cargo transport unit, and was re-posted to Annapolis, Maryland. As of 2018, he held the rank of lieutenant.
Writing and commentary
Concurrent with his service in the U.S. Navy, McCain has publicly written and commented on a number of political and social issues. In a 2017 guest column for Foreign Policy he opined that the United States Air Force had a "leadership crisis". The same year, he "slammed" critics of an Old Navy ad featuring an interracial couple, declaring on Twitter that they should "eat it". During the United States presidential election of 2016 he "blasted", in an interview with CNN, then candidate Donald Trump. And, in February 2017 he tweeted - and then deleted - a comment which The Hill reported "appeared to criticize President Donald Trump".
In 2017 McCain self-published Angola, Clausewitz, and the American Way of War through CreateSpace which was reviewed by RealClearDefense as a "slim volume" showing potential but which "falls short of its goal".
In 2010 McCain was reported by Gawker as romantically involved with Julia Allison. In a subsequent interview with Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen, Allison reported that she had originally been introduced to Jack McCain by Meghan McCain, his sister. Allison and McCain's relationship ended in 2011; Allison has said McCain's military career ultimately led to her decision not to pursue their romantic interest further, commenting that "I looked at the life I would have as a military wife and I didn’t think that I could fulfill my dreams and also have him fulfill his".
- Ward, Jon (23 May 2009). "Obama hugs Navy grad John McCain IV". Washington Times. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/23/obama-salutes-navy-graduates/. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Silverstein, Ken (29 February 2008). "John McCain’s Charitable Contributions". Harper's. https://harpers.org/blog/2008/02/john-mccains-charitable-contributions/. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Ausiello, David (12 February 2008). "EXCLUSIVE: An Interview with Jack McCain". 247Sports.com. https://247Sports.com/college/navy/Article/EXCLUSIVE-An-Interview-with-Jack-McCain-104495595. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- McCain, John (7 May 2018). "John S. McCain III – Lessons from a ‘Biased’ Son on Legacy, Service, Sacrifice". The Sextant (United States Navy). http://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.mil/2017/10/25/john-s-mccain-iii-lessons-from-a-biased-son-on-legacy-service-sacrifice/. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- Caplan, David (2 February 2018). "McCain's son says of his dad, 'I tongue-and-cheek describe him as a cockroach. He is very tough to kill'". ABC News. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mccains-son-dad-tongue-cheek-describe-cockroach-tough/story?id=52779365. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Facta Non Verba". Jack McCain. http://www.fnonv.com/. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- McCain, John (15 August 2017). "A Navy pilot’s take: The Air Force doesn’t have a pilot crisis, it has a leadership crisis". Foreign Policy. http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/08/15/a-navy-pilots-take-the-air-force-doesnt-have-a-pilot-crisis-it-has-a-leadership-crisis-2/. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Zaru, Deena (16 August 2017). "GOP senator's son slams critics of ad featuring interracial family". CNN. https://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/politics/old-navy-interracial-ad-jack-mccain/index.html. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Collins, Eliza (21 July 2015). "McCain, Trump kids get in on their dads' fight". Politico. https://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/john-mccain-donald-trump-kids-vietnam-comments-120429. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Shelbourne, Mallory (5 February 2017). "John McCain's son deletes tweet slamming Trump's Putin defense". The Hill. http://thehill.com/homenews/317988-john-mccains-son-deletes-tweet-slamming-trumps-putin-defense. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Burgess, Stephen (31 July 2017). "Angola, Clausewitz, and the American Way of War". RealClearDefense. https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2017/07/31/angola_clausewitz_and_the_american_way_of_war_111932.html. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Tate, Ryan (23 December 2010). "How Julia Allison Lured Jack McCain Into Her Web". Gawker. http://gawker.com/5716576/how-julia-allison-lured-jack-mccain-into-her-web. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Presidential Pardon". Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen (Bravo). 23 July 2012. http://www.bravotv.com/watch-what-happens-live/season-7/videos/presidential-pardon. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Miss Advised: You Can't Have Your Dreams and His, Too?". military.com. 25 July 2012. https://www.military.com/spousebuzz/blog/2012/07/missadvised.html. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Donovan, Laura (26 May 2011). "Sen. John McCain’s son Jack and girlfriend split". Yahoo News. https://www.yahoo.com/news/sen-john-mccain-son-jack-girlfriend-split-041806914.html. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Billups, Andrea (3 June 2013). "John McCain Celebrates the Wedding of Son Jack". People. http://people.com/celebrity/jack-mccain-son-of-john-mccain-marries-renee-swift/. Retrieved 7 May 2018.