- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on November 6 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Juli_Briskman. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Juli_Briskman, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Juli_Briskman.
Juli Ellyn Klyce|
March 16, 1967
Ohio State University|
Johns Hopkins University (MBA)
|Known for||Gesture towards American President Donald Trump|
Juli Ellyn Briskman (née Klyce; born March 16, 1967) is an American politician, marketing analyst, and journalist. She is supervisor-elect for the Algonkian District of Loudoun County, Virginia. Briskman garnered international attention for flipping off President Donald Trump in Sterling, Virginia, as he returned from a golfing trip in 2017.
Briskman is originally from the Columbus, Ohio metropolitan area and graduated from Worthington High School in 1985. She graduated from The Ohio State University in 1990, with a degree in journalism. She worked for the school newspaper, The Lantern. She received an MBA in Marketing from Johns Hopkins University in 1998.
Briskman interned for the Kuwait Times, where she made news for escaping to Saudi Arabia as the Iraqis invaded Kuwait. She worked at the U.S. Department of State, including embassies in countries like Latvia and Kazakhstan.
Middle finger controversy
Briskman was riding her bike when the Trump motorcade passed by. She decided to flip her middle finger as she rode her bicycle, which was caught on camera by the press photographer. Briskman had worked as a marketing analyst for Akima, LLC, a government contractor, for eight months until she was fired for using the viral photo as her header. She sued for wrongful termination as another employee also had "obscene content," which it was her job to flag, on his social media accounts, but was allowed to remove it. Her claim was not upheld in court because Virginia's at-will employment laws do not cover free speech. The judge granted the full severance pay she was owed.
In 2018, Briskman announced her intention to run for public office in Loudoun County, rather than appeal the court decision. In 2019, she ran for the Algonkian District seat of the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors and was elected on November 5.
- "Woman who flipped off Trump says she learned values growing up in central Ohio". The Columbus Dispatch. https://www.dispatch.com/news/20171107/woman-who-flipped-off-trump-says-she-learned-values-growing-up-in-central-ohio.
- "FLIPPING THE BIRD: HOW AN OHIO STATE ALUMNA HIT VIRALITY". The Lantern. https://www.thelantern.com/2017/11/flipping-the-bird-how-an-ohio-state-alumna-hit-virality/.
- "The cyclist who flipped off Trump’s motorcade is running for public office". Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/the-cyclist-who-flipped-off-trumps-motorcade-is-running-for-public-office/2018/09/11/c12cc2d2-b5dc-11e8-a7b5-adaaa5b2a57f_story.html.
- Holpuch, Amanda (November 6, 2019). "Woman who gave Trump the finger elected in Virginia". The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/06/juli-briskman-trump-middle-finger-wins-office-virginia.
- "She flipped off President Trump — and got fired from her government contracting job". Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/she-flipped-off-president-trump--and-got-fired-from-her-government-contracting-job/2017/11/06/4cf1af9a-c2da-11e7-84bc-5e285c7f4512_story.html.
- Michelle Ruiz: "Juli Briskman, Who Was Fired for Flipping Off Trump, Has Won an Election in Virginia". Vogue, 6 November 2019
- Official website