- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on September 16 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Lindsay_Mills. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Lindsay_Mills, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Lindsay_Mills.
|Known for||acrobatics, blogging, dating Edward Snowden|
Lindsay Mills is an American acrobat living in Russia. She came to international attention as the girlfriend of Edward Snowden at the time of the Global surveillance disclosures. Mills and Snowden share a home in Moscow.
Before the global surveillance disclosures
On Thursday 6 June agents from the National Security Agency searched Mills home seeking Snowden. On Sunday 9 June 2013 The Guardian published a story revealing that Snowden had done the global surveillance disclosures. On Monday 10 June 2013 Mills wrote on her website, "I'll be refraining from blog posts for awhile" then deleted all posts within a day. Mills was shocked to learn what Snowden had done. She was very sad that he was gone.
After the global surveillance disclosures
Mills became the focus of a media sensation after the global surveillance disclosures her identification as Snowden's girlfriend. One media outlet called Mills, "the girlfriend Edward Snowden left behind". In 2013 Buzzfeed reviewed Mills' personal blog. It noted that she had a boyfriend whom she called "E" and her "man of mystery".
After Snowden left Hawaii reporters sought question members of the Waikiki Acrobatic Troupe for insight into Mills and Snowden's relationship. Newsworthy comments reported from that interview included, "I never got to know her", "I wasn't even aware she was in a relationship", and "I have no idea how much pole and other stuff she'd done".
Between June 2013-14 here was no public awareness in the media of any interaction between Mills and Snowden. The public did not know where Mills lived after June 2013. Later, the Citizenfour documentary included a scene which showed Snowden and Mills reunited in Moscow. This reveal in October 2014 was the first indication in the media that they were still dating. The information that Mills and Snowden were together and happy was surprising because until the documentary, popular media supporting the U.S. government had reported that Snowden's life in Russia was a miserable punishment.
Mills and Glenn Greenwald joined director Laura Poitras on stage at the 87th Academy Awards to accept the Academy Award for Citizenfour. In September 2016 one reporter described the Oscar showing as "Mills' most notable public appearance". In Citizenfour, Mills appears for a few seconds cooking with Snowden in the Moscow apartment which they share. Mills took one of the three statues awarded in ceremony. Reflecting on the experience of being on stage to receive the statue for Snowden, Mills later commented, "We won a motherfucking Oscar!"
In February 2015, Anatoly Kucherena stated, "Edward Snowden is happy that his girlfriend Lindsay Mills came to Russia and that she is supporting him". In March 2015 Mills revived her blog and made two posts which a writer for Jezebel described as "mysterious". In October 2015 news reported that Mills and Snowden went to see a show at a theatre.
For Halloween 2015, Mills posted pictures of herself with her boyfriend in Halloween costume as Carmen Sandiego and Wally of Where's Wally?. Both popular fictional characters are known for hiding. In the photo Mills and Snowden are posing in front of the J. Edgar Hoover Building but presumably this is photo manipulation because they are supposed to stay in Russia.
Mills has a history of being highly active in new media publishing, including social media, blogging, and video sharing. A reviewer for The New Yorker described Mills' blog as "a mixture of chatty accounts of Mills’s days in Hawaii, stories of her athletic and pole-dancing feats, descriptions of fun evenings with friends, and declarations of girl power". Mills regularly posts pictures of herself posing in her underwear.
The character of Lindsay Mills has a prominent place in Snowden, a 2016 dramatization of Snowden's global surveillance disclosure. Director Oliver Stone said that the relationship between Mills and Snowden was an important part of his movie. Actor Shailene Woodley plays Mills in the film. Woodley reported that she had been unable to meet Mills in person before filming, so she had been unable to imitate Mills' own mannerisms. Woodley based the character on information from Mills blog and social media posts.
Wonkette reported that Mills "possesses several physical qualities that are commonly associated with being hot". The media has noted Snowden's complaints about Mills being portrayed with sexy pictures.
- Siddique, Haroon (12 June 2013), "Edward Snowden's girlfriend is 'as well as can be expected', says father", The Guardian, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/12/edward-snowden-lindsay-mills-father, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Van Dyke, Michelle Broder; Hall, Ellie (10 June 2013), "This Is Edward Snowden’s Girlfriend", BuzzFeed, https://www.buzzfeed.com/mbvd/this-might-be-the-girlfriend-edward-snowden-left-behind, retrieved 15 September 2016
- Lewis, Paul (11 June 2013), "Edward Snowden's girlfriend Lindsay Mills: At the moment I feel alone", The Guardian, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/11/edward-snowden-lindsay-mills-guardian, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Allen, Nick; Sanchez, Raf (11 June 2013), "Edward Snowden's girlfriend Lindsay Mills 'lost and alone' after whistleblower flees to Hong Kong", The Daily Telegraph, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10112012/Edward-Snowdens-girlfriend-Lindsay-Mills-lost-and-alone-after-whistleblower-flees-to-Hong-Kong.html, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Greenwald, Glenn; MacAskill, Laura; Poitras (11 June 2013), "Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations", The Guardian, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Greenwald, Glenn (11 May 2014), "Glenn Greenwald: Here's What Happened On The Day We Revealed Snowden's Identity", Business Insider, http://www.businessinsider.com/the-day-we-revealed-snowdens-identity-2014-5, retrieved 16 September 2016
- LaGanga, Maria L. (11 June 2013), "NSA leaker's girlfriend posts about her shock, goes silent", The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation-world/bs-te-lindsay-mills-edward-snowden-20130611-story.html, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Leonnig, Carol D.; Tate, Julie (11 June 2013), "Snowden’s girlfriend — dancer, nature lover — said to be shocked by his actions", The Washington Post, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/snowdens-girlfriend-a-dancer-and-nature-lover-said-to-be-shocked-by-his-actions/2013/06/11/01e2f31c-d29b-11e2-9f1a-1a7cdee20287_story.html, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Gray, Emma (12 June 2013), "Lindsay Mills, Edward Snowden’s Girlfriend, Becomes An Internet Sensation: 6 Ridiculous Things That Have Been Said About Her", The Huffington Post, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/12/lindsay-mills-edward-snowden-girlfriend_n_3428557.html, retrieved 16 September 2016
- La Ganga, Maria L. (13 June 2013), "Lindsay Mills and other pole dancers missing in action", Los Angeles Times, http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/13/news/la-pn-lindsay-mills-missing-in-action-20130613, retrieved 15 September 2016
- Ryan, Erin Gloria (12 March 2015), "Edward Snowden's Girlfriend Posts Two Mysterious New Blog Entries", Jezebel, http://jezebel.com/edward-snowdens-girlfriend-posts-two-mysterious-new-blo-1691034461, retrieved 15 September 2016
- Birquelet, Kate (11 October 2014), "Girlfriend Snowden ‘left’ lives with him in Moscow", New York Post, http://nypost.com/2014/10/11/snowdens-girlfriend-lives-with-him-in-moscow-documentary-reveals/, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Greenwald, Glenn (10 October 2014), "Edward Snowden’s Girlfriend, Lindsay Mills, Moved to Moscow to Live with Him", The Intercept, https://theintercept.com/2014/10/10/narrative-destroyed-edward-snowdens-girlfriend-lindsay-mills-moved-moscow-live/, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Makarechi, Kia (February 22, 2015), "Yes, That Was Edward Snowden’s Girlfriend at the Oscars", Vanity Fair (Condé Nast), http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/02/snowden-girlfriend-lindsay-mills-oscars, retrieved 15 September 2016
- Brayson, Johnny (14 September 2016), "Where Is Lindsey Mills Now? Edward Snowden's Girlfriend Has A Busy Life", Bustle, http://www.bustle.com/articles/182550-where-is-lindsey-mills-now-edward-snowdens-girlfriend-has-a-busy-life, retrieved 15 September 2016
- Dowd, Kathy Ehrich (6 September 2016), "5 Things to Know About Edward Snowden's Girlfriend Lindsay Mills and Their Life Together Now", People, http://www.people.com/article/edward-snowden-girlfriend-lindsay-mills-what-to-know, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Stewart, Will (14 October 2014), "Date-night for a traitor: NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden enjoys trip to the theatre with pole dancer girlfriend - as lawyer hints the pair may soon marry in Moscow", Daily Mail, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2792940/ed-snowden-enjoys-date-theatre-pole-dancer-girlfriend-lawyer-hints-pair-soon-marry-moscow.html, retrieved 16 September 2016
- ABC NEWS (30 October 2015), "See Edward Snowden's Halloween Costume", abcnews.go.com, http://abcnews.go.com/International/edward-snowdens-halloween-costume/story?id=34867415, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Nguyen, Tina (November 4, 2015), "Edward Snowden’s Halloween Costume Is Too Real", Vanity Fair (Condé Nast), http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/11/edward-snowden-halloween-costume, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Coscarelli, Joe (11 June 2013), "Edward Snowden’s Girlfriend Is a Pole-Dancing Acrobat With a Dramatic Blog", New York, http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/06/edward-snowden-girlfriend-lindsay-mills-blog.html, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Weiss, Sasha (13 June 2013), "We Are All Pole Dancing on the Internet", The New Yorker, http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/we-are-all-pole-dancing-on-the-internet, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Phillips, Michael (15 September 2016), "'Snowden' review: A conventional, even tame take on former NSA employee", Chicago Tribune, http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/sc-snowden-mov-rev-0914-20160915-column.html
- Stone, Oliver; Open Road Films (15 September 2016), "Oliver Stone Talks Snowden's Relationship with Lindsay Mills - SNOWDEN LIVE", Open Road Films YouTube channel (Open Road Films), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhCFjjOILlI, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Topel, Fred (14 September 2016), Snowden Roundtable: Shailene Woodley On The Real Lindsay Mills, http://www.nerdreport.com/2016/09/14/snowden-roundtable-shailene-woodley-real-lindsay-mills/, retrieved 16 September 2016
- online editors (30 August 2016), "Shailene Woodley: 'I stalked Edward Snowden's girlfriend online'", Belfast Telegraph, http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/shailene-woodley-i-stalked-edward-snowdens-girlfriend-online-35009905.html, retrieved 16 September 2016 /
- Ruthrauff, Alex (11 June 2013), "Meet The Pole Dancing, Prose Styling Lindsay Mills, Girlfriend Of NSA Leaker Hero / Traitor Edward Snowden", Wonkette, http://wonkette.com/519302/meet-the-pole-dancing-prose-styling-lindsay-mills-girlfriend-of-nsa-leaker-hero-traitor-edward-snowden, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Russian, Ale (15 September 2016), "Edward Snowden Slams Reporters – Running Sexy Photos of My Girlfriend Wasn’t Fair", People, http://www.people.com/article/edward-snowden-shailene-woodley-lindsay-mills, retrieved 16 September 2016