- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on January 4 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:MiniLyrics. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/MiniLyrics, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/MiniLyrics.
MiniLyrics, is a lyrics viewer and editor software written by Crintsoft LLC. The software comes in the form of a plugin for media players, with support for the most popular ones (e.g. Winamp, Windows Media Player, iTunes and MediaMonkey) as well as many less known players. As of version 7.7.49 the license is free as compared to the previous Trialware approach.
- 1 History
- 2 Features
- 3 Lyrics
- 4 Reception
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Version 6 added new Floating lyrics display option.
As of 2016, the client is unable to connect to the servers or download lyrics from Crintsoft database. the problem is apparently server-side as users found out it was a DNS problem, and a simple solution would be to add MiniLyrics servers to the hosts file in Windows:
126.96.36.199 minilyrics.com 188.8.131.52 www.minilyrics.com
The main function of MiniLyrics is taking use of user-generated LRC files to display synchronized lyrics in audio players.
MiniLyrics Installer (NSIS) installs plug-ins to players, by detecting registry entries or letting users to choose players' installed path.
Since the version 6, it can have a portable installation.
Until version 6, MiniLyrics uses Windows's native skin.
Starting from version 7, the author decided to use its own skin, targeted for Mac OS X and Linux ports.
The LRC format, which is similar to subtitle file format, is main use of MiniLyrics. While
.srt (read only) and
.snc (save only) are also supported.
LRC is a synchronized (also time-synchronized or time-stamped) file format.
Operating system compatibility
The mobile version was developed until version 5. It is now stalled.
Porting to Linux is considering.
Supported media players
- AlbumPlayer *
- Helium Music Manager *
- JRiver Media Center
- J. River Media Jukebox
- jetAudio *
- Media Player Classic Home Cinema *
- Musicmatch Jukebox
- Quintessential Player
- Spotify *
- VLC media player
- Windows Media Player
- Yahoo! Music Engine
- Zune *
- Must run the plugin manually.
As of version 7.7.49 the license is free, the below limitations apply to older versions only.
MiniLyrics is not a trialware, the program is advertised that itself never expires, can be used without time restriction. But a nag screen often pops up on startup and sometimes when downloading lyrics. This nag screen can be removed by registering the program for $5.00 (1 Year License for 1 Computer), $9.99 (1 Year License for 3 Computers) or $19.99 (Lifetime License for 1 Computer) . Some download websites consider it as a nagware.
Creating and editing
MiniLyrics has a built-in lyrics editor, which is a text editor, similar to Notepad, but with additional, advanced tools for editing lyrics like taggings, synchronizing, set offset,...
Lyrics are all created by users, their files are uploaded to dual-server at
viewlyrics.com. Registration is now required to upload and edit lyrics files.
Lyrics updating and deletion are executed at
search.crintsoft.com. To update the uploaded lyrics files, users must provide file with same Artist and Title tag; or otherwise they have to delete lyrics and re-upload again if they want to change the tag. The lyrics database is claimed to be expanding every day.
Tags from audio files retrieved through installed plug-in into MiniLyrics. It sends a request to server and automatically downloads to lyrics folder (typically e.g.: C:\Lyrics).
Lyrics can only be downloaded if:
- They exist on server's database
- The Artist and Title field tag are matched with uploaded
Since this is a user-based database, the uploaded files' tags are not always correct; if the file tags are wrong, they will be likely less or not downloaded at all. The download is counted only when MiniLyrics automatically downloads it. Lyrics are rated using a score of 5. Submit rating via website. The lyrics file with higher rating will be preferred.
Viewing and displaying
- MiniLyrics itself contains many skins. But only "Fantasy", "MiniLyrics" and "Windows 7" have their own GUI (as version 7).
- MiniLyrics has 3 display modes: Normal, Floating and Lyrics Bar. Floating Lyrics Mode is added since version 6, which feature a transparent display.
- LRC files are viewed with many styles: Vertical Scrolling, Single Line, Movie Subtitle,...
- Users can select their own font format, size and color to display lyrics.
- Other options
- The program has anti-aliasing display, which clear jagged edge in fonts, but it is turned off by default. Karaoke displaying mode. Lyrics can be displayed in Fade in, fade out background or Normal.
Luminita Apostu at Softpedia, in editor review, gave MiniLyrics "Excellent" rating. Apostu, Windows Editor, said the good thing about MiniLyrics "is the fact that even if it comes as an unregistered version, it doesn't have an expiring trial and it allows you to use it for as much as you want, of course, as long as you don't feel too uncomfortable with dealing with the nag reminder screen that prompts each time you run and stop the application." She also note that "the only uncomfortable thing" that she found about the program "is the fact you must first run the player application and just after that Minilyrics opens." And praised it with "I think Minilyrics gets its job done and, quite frankly, there's nothing I couldn't be satisfied about."
Editor review in Softonic gave MiniLyrics "Outstanding" rating. Elena Santos claimed "Singing your favorite songs aloud, especially when nobody sees you, is one of those little pleasures in life. But you obviously need to know the lyrics to the song you're trying to follow, something you can easily find with MiniLyrics." She said the downside of the program is "MiniLyrics displays a nag window every time you launch it and another registration reminder on top of each lyrics file", but noted "that's a price I'm willing to play to be able to sing almost any of the 4,300 files in my Winamp playlist."
The author website itself claims that the software is being used by millions of users.
Comparison with other lyrics plugins software
When compared, MiniLyrics stands out among other audio plug-ins since it has a large and synchronized lyrics database. Additionally, the database is uploaded by users and has many options to display lyrics. The main competitors of MiniLyrics are EvilLyrics and TuneWiki.
- "MiniLyrics by crintsoft - great for scrolling lyrics but is it down forever? • /r/ExplainThisSong". https://www.reddit.com/r/ExplainThisSong/comments/43xbrf/minilyrics_by_crintsoft_great_for_scrolling/.
- "MiniLyrics". Download.com. http://download.cnet.com/MiniLyrics/3000-2169_4-10915034.html. Retrieved March 3, 2011.
- "MiniLyrics 7.0.676 - 100% Clean". Softpedia. http://www.softpedia.com/progClean/Minilyrics-Clean-10177.html. Retrieved March 3, 2011.
- Apostu, Luminita (June 30, 2007). "MiniLyrics Review". MiniLyrics - Spells Your Favorite Songs. Softpedia. http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/Minilyrics-Review-58758.shtml. Retrieved March 3, 2011.
- Santos, Elena. "MiniLyrics Download". Read the lyrics of your favorite song as it plays. Softonic. http://minilyrics.en.softonic.com/. Retrieved March 3, 2011.
- "MiniLyrics 6.5.281 Review". BSTdownload.com. http://bstdownload.com/reviews/minilyrics-6/. Retrieved March 3, 2011.
- "MiniLyrics". View and get your song lyrics. Winamp.com. http://www.winamp.com/plugin/minilyrics/143654. Retrieved March 3, 2011.