- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on July 1 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Nooka. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Nooka, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Nooka.
Nooka is an American company that designs, licenses, and produces lifestyle products primarily focused on the intersection of design and technology. The company was founded by designer Matthew Waldman in December 2005.
Nooka was initially known for its line of timepieces, inspired by Waldman’s desire to create an intuitive watch that did not require instruction basic skills such as telling time. In contrast with a traditional analog clock whose data can be acquired through reading the position of clock hands on a dial to express time data, the Nooka presented a display of readouts of bars, lines and dots representing a visual progression of time.
The first Nooka time pieces were the Zoo and Zot series in 2005. These were inducted into the JIDA (Japan Industrial Designers' Association) Design Museum as part of the Vol. 12 Selection. For their environmentally conscious "Origami Paper Pack" package design the company received 1st place garnering recognition for the 2012 Dieline Package Design Awards in the 'Books, Office & Art' category.
- Strauss, Karsten. "Trying To Rebuild A Company With Crowdfunding: Nooka". https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2014/08/13/trying-to-rebuild-a-company-with-crowdfunding-nooka/.
- "3D printed timepieces by NOOKA + 3D systems". 2014-01-03. https://www.designboom.com/technology/3d-printed-timepieces-by-nooka-3d-systems-01-0-2014/.
- Mills, Simon (17 June 2009). "Clunky, trashy, nerdy - and cool: the return of the digital watch". www.guardian.co.uk (London: The Guardian). https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/jun/17/digital-watches-return-fashion. Retrieved 16 June 2009.
- Heller, Steven; Talarico, Lita (2008). Design Entrepreneur: Turning Graphic Design into Goods That Sell. ISBN 9781616736491. https://books.google.com/?id=F-aDxP7N_nMC&pg=PA230&dq=nooka+seiko#v=onepage&q=nooka%20seiko&f=false.
- "Nooka watch founder Waldman ties futurism into design of neon-colored gizmos, hopes to expand brand". https://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/nooka-watch-founder-waldman-ties-futurism-design-neon-colored-gizmos-hopes-expand-brand-article-1.960279.
- Cardinal. "Nooka Zoo & Zot Watches". https://gizmodo.com/nooka-zoo-zot-watches-103199.
- Kurakata, Masayuki. "Series NOOKA ZOO/ NOOKA ZOT series". Jida Design Museum. http://jida-dm.syncline.jp/DMHP/2010/item16.html.
- "The Dieline Awards Winners 2012". June 25, 2012. http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2012/6/25/the-dieline-awards-2012-winners.html.
- Mr. E, By. "The story of Nooka watches, a warning for other startups?". https://www.europastar.com/news/1004089379-the-story-of-nooka-watches-a-warning-for-other.html.