- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 6 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Platfora. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Platfora, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Platfora.
Platfora, Inc. is a big data analytics company based in San Mateo, California. The firm’s software works in tandem with the open-source software framework Apache Hadoop to assist companies and government organizations with rapid data analysis, data visualization, and sharing.
Platfora was founded in 2011 by Ben Werther. Werther studied computer science at Stanford University. Prior to founding Platfora, he worked at There Inc., Siebel Systems, Microsoft, and Greenplum. In 2011, Werther met regularly with former coworkers John Eshleman and SriSatish Ambati in a café in downtown San Mateo, California. At one of these meetings, while discussing the technical process of big data analysis, Werther realized that he could develop software that paired with Hadoop to greatly speed up data analysis and visualization. Werther sought financing to start Platfora; Eshleman was initially an adviser, and later joined Platfora as founding vice president of technology. Ambati formed his own company, Oxdata.
Platfora received funding from Andreessen Horowitz, Battery Ventures, Sutter Hill Ventures, and In-Q-Tel, the venture fund of the Central Intelligence Agency. Series A funding was $7.2 million. As of January, 2014, total funding stood at $27.2 million.
Platfora is one of several new big data analytics companies that industry analysts expect to compete with established firms including SAP, IBM, SAS, and Oracle, whose older methods of data analysis and visualization are currently more time consuming.
Platfora’s software works with the open-source software framework Apache Hadoop; when a user queries a database, the product delivers answers in real time via a graphical user interface. Bloomberg Businessweek called it “Big Data for Dummies.” A corporate or government data analyst can use the interface to filter results, or drag and drop fields to create graphs, overlays, and other visualizations of the data. The analyst can then share those data visualizations and answers with others.
Awards and recognition
CRN Magazine named Platfora’s software one of “The 10 Coolest Big Data Products of 2013.” Platfora’s software was also voted a winner at the Big Data Festival in Kansas City, where it was used to analyze the city’s crime data.
- Bort, Julie. "Larry Page's College Friend Has Launched a Cool New Startup". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/platfora-ben-werther-2012-10. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Gage, Deborah. "Platfora Founder Goes in Search of Big-Data Answers". Wall Street Journal. http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2013/04/15/platfora-founder-goes-in-search-of-big-data-answers/. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Vance, Ashlee. "Big Data for Dummies or at Least Product Managers". Bloomberg Businessweek. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-12/big-data-for-dummies-or-at-least-product-managers. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Henschen, Doug. "Big Data's Big Picture: An Insider's View". Information Week. http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/big-data-analytics/big-datas-big-picture-an-insiders-view/d/d-id/899326. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Bort, Julie. "How Big Data Startups Could Kill a $30 Billion Industry". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/how-new-big-data-startups-will-kill-this-30-billion-industry-2012-8. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Harris, Derrick. "Visualization is the future: 6 startups re-imagining how we consume data". Gigaom. http://gigaom.com/2013/05/13/visualization-is-the-future-6-startups-re-imagining-how-we-consume-data/. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- Whiting, Rick. "The 10 Coolest Big Data Products Of 2013". CRN Magazine. http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/applications-os/240164423/the-10-coolest-big-data-products-of-2013.htm. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- "Platfora and DST Win Big at Big Data Kansas City Festival". Yahoo Finance. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/platfora-dst-win-big-big-140000848.html. Retrieved 22 January 2014.
- This page could use some categorization… if it was still on Wikipedia. On Deletionpedia.org, we don't really care so much.