- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on July 19 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:PlayOnMac. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/PlayOnMac, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/PlayOnMac.
PlayOnMac is a free Microsoft Windows compatibility layer allowing to easily install and use numerous games and software designed to run with Microsoft's Windows. PlayOnMac is based on the opensource program Wine
It uses an online database of installers (called scripts) to apply to different applications that need special configuration If the game is not in the database, a manual installation can be performed but the result cannot be guaranteed. Aside from games, any other program can be installed and each one is put in a different container to prevent interference of one program with another. PlayOnMac allows users to install some of the most popular Windows applications and many games.
You don't have to own a Windows license to use PlayOnMac.
Notable supported software
PlayOnMac supports various piece of software including:
- MetaTrader 4 
- Guild Wars 2 
- Track Manion Nation Forever 
- Internet Explorer (from version 1 to version 8) https://www.asitest.ca/oliw/Installing%20PlayOnMac%20and%20Internet%20Explorer%208.pdf
The full supported software list is available on PlayOnMac website
Software that is not officially supported may also work. You just have to double click on the setup program to make it run with PlayOnMac
- "Template:Citation error". http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-run-windows-programs-on-mac.html.
- "Metatrader's website". http://articles.mql4.com/1046.
- "Guild Wars 2 Wiki". http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2_on_Wine#Running_Guild_Wars_2_on_OS_X_using_WineSkin.
- "Template:Citation error". https://www.asitest.ca/oliw/Installing%20PlayOnMac%20and%20Internet%20Explorer%208.pdf.
- Avosmacs 37. March 2013. http://www.playonmac.com/presse/AVMHS37.pdf.