Sam Thompson (artist)
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on June 15 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Sam Thompson (artist). All of its AfDs can be found with PrefixIndex, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Sam Thompson (artist). If the page name here has changed, please see these three pages instead.
Sam Thompson (1930-2015) was an American watercolorist and oil painter from Pennsylvania and then Massachusetts. He served as a faculty member at the Philadelphia Museum School and also taught in the Boston area and on television through Cambridge Community Television.
Samuel G. Thompson Jr. was born in Philadelphia, in 1930 to Samuel and Helen (Ketcham) Thompson and later moved to Newtown, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Dobbins High School in 1949, and then graduated from the Philadelphia Museum College of Art in 1953 and later graduated from Philadelphia College of the Bible (now Cairn University). After being ordained to the ministry in 1961, Thompson pastored a Baptist church in Rumford, Maine and then after leaving the ministry, he moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts to work in business and art. Thompson was known for his watercolor and oil paintings and spent winters painting in Oaxaca, Mexico. He spent summers painting in Cambridge and Monhegan Island in Maine. Thompson also taught art on television as well as in the Cambridge and Boston area at various locations. Thompson was an active member of the New England Watercolor Society exhibited paintings there and elsewhere. He died in 2015 and left the majority of his paintings in his estate to Park Street Church in Boston, and he was buried in Newtown Cemetery in Pennsylvania.
- "SAMUEL G. THOMPSON Jr.," Boston Globe, Dec. 18. 2015 https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx?pid=176927657
- Reginald Zimmerman, "Learning the fine art of watercolor painting at the Roslindale Library," Oct 14, 2009 https://www.wickedlocal.com/article/20091014/NEWS/310149138
- Cambridge Community Television, Shows and events at Gallery 263, https://www.cctvcambridge.org/node/20319
- "Samuel G. Thompson Jr." Bucks County Courier Times, Nov 17, 2015 https://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/article/20151117/OBITUARIES/311179899
- Kate Estrop, "Watercolor Painting Class with Sam Thompson," The Patch, Mar 25, 2011
- "Coats of many colors," Jun 4, 2009, Boston Globe/Boston.com, http://www.newenglandwatercolorsociety.org/documents/newsletters/newslettersummer2009.pdf
- "New England Watercolor Society [11th Biennial North American Open Show"]. https://www.newenglandwatercolorsociety.org/galleries/11thBiennial.html.
- "Sam Thompson Fine Art". https://samthompson.faso.com/.
- "Samuel G. Thompson Jr.". https://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/article/20151117/OBITUARIES/311179726.