Sea Ghost (band)
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on October 29 2015. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Sea_Ghost_(band). All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Sea_Ghost_(band), the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Sea_Ghost_(band).
Sea Ghost is an American Indie Rock/Pop band based in Atlanta, Georgia. Formed in July 2014 by Carter Sutherland (vocals/keyboards/guitar), Alex Melton (drums), Jay Harris (bass) and Brandon Chester (lead guitar), the band gained attention after releasing a string of singles and music videos followed by a collaboration with hip hop recording artist ILoveMakonnen entitled "Running Away".
Early Days and Formation (2014)
Sea Ghost began as a recording project of singer/songwriter Carter Sutherland in February 2014, following the dissolution of his previous band, Yolk. After recruiting drummer Alex Melton, also from Yolk, and bassist Jay Harris, Sutherland produced three demos that would later be performed at local shows. Guitarist Brandon Chester joined in April 2014; it was then that the band decided their name would be 'Sea Ghost'. In July 2014, the band released their first single "Spokes", coupled with a music video filmed by Ian Shoemaker.
Collaboration with ILoveMakonnen and "Cave Song"
In August of 2014, Sutherland began emailing "Spokes" and other demos to various artists. Hip Hop artist ILoveMakonnen responded and showed interest in recording a collaboration track with the band. After a single recording session at Sutherland's house, Sea Ghost released "Running Away", based upon an already produced instrumental track, featuring vocals from both ILoveMakonnen and Sutherland.
Sea Ghost recorded their next single "Cave Song" in October 2014, produced by SenseiATL (Ariel Silva). Ian Shoemaker returned as director of the music video, which was released online in conjunction with the song. At this point, the group had still only played a handful of shows.
"BBQ" and SG
During a broadcasted radio performance at the Georgia Institute of Technology on January 13th, 2015 , Sea Ghost performed their song "BBQ" for the first time. In May 2015, the band released a reworked version of the song, along with a music video. Simultaneously, Sea Ghost continued working on their debut album. Alex Melton left the band during recording and was replaced by Jonathan Morningstar, formerly of the band Playground Hero.
Sea Ghost's debut studio album, SG, was released October 24th, 2015 on the Athens-based label Marching Banana Records. The album was recorded and mixed by Carter Sutherland and Ariel Silva, was mastered by Jesse Mangum, and features cover art by Reginald Levy. The album received coverage and reviews from independent blogs, as well as from Immersive Atlanta and Creative Loafing.
- Carter Sutherland - vocals, keyboards, rhythm guitar (2014 - present)
- Brandon Chester - lead guitar (2014 - present)
- Jonathan Morningstar - drums, percussion (2015 - present)
- Jay Harris - bass (2014 - present)
- Alex Melton - drums (2014 - 2015)
- Spokes/Gold Teeth (2014)
- Running Away ft. ILoveMakonnen (2014)
- Cave Song (2014)
- BBQ (2015)
- Cowboy Hat (2015)
- Studio Albums
- SG (2015)
- Cooper, Duncan. "iLoveMakonnen Returns to His DIY Roots on "Running Away," with High School Rock Band Sea Ghost". Andy Cohn. http://www.thefader.com/2014/09/04/hear-ilovemakonnen-flex-his-diy-roots-on-running-away-with-high-school-rock-band-sea-ghost. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- DeVille, Chris. "Sea Ghost – “Running Away” (Feat. ILoveMakonnen)". http://www.stereogum.com/1703281/sea-ghost-running-away-feat-ilovemakonnen/mp3s/. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Cooper, Duncan. "The Fall and Rise of ILoveMakonnen". Andy Cohn. http://www.thefader.com/2014/10/03/ilovemakonnen-feature-profile-and-interview. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Montes, Patrick. "iLoveMakonnen Records Indie Music with High School Band Sea Ghost". http://hypetrak.com/2014/09/ilovemakonnen-records-indie-music-with-high-school-band-sea-ghost/. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Jacobs, Ethan. "Sea Ghost – “Cave Song” Video". http://www.stereogum.com/1712265/sea-ghost-cave-song-video/video/. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- Castro, Guillermo. "Sea Ghost -SG". http://immersiveatlanta.com/sea-ghost-sg/.
- Radford, Chad. "Sea Ghost rolls out giddy, melancholy debut, 'SG'". http://m.clatl.com/cribnotes/archives/2015/10/22/sea-ghost-rolls-out-giddy-melancholy-debut-sg. Retrieved 28 October 2015.