- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 13 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Sportlobster. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Sportlobster, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Sportlobster.
Template:Infobox dot-com company Sportlobster was a social networking website that launched in 2013 available online and on the two major mobile operating systems, iOS and Android. The company was founded by Andy Meikle, Arron Shepherd and Nicholas Cary and was based in London. In 2016, Sportlobster was acquired by Constellation Sports (Pty) Ltd and was re-branded under the name 10.
Upon registration users received a personal profile page where they could post blogs, photographs, predictions and videos. Profiles could be personalized by changing the cover photo and the profile image displayed across the website and app. As of November 2013, 32 sports could be followed using the website and in April 2014, the website attained 700,000 users. Sportlobster obtained its one millionth user on 8 June 2014. In doing so, the website reached the milestone faster than social networking rivals Twitter and Tumblr.
In 2016, in the buildup to the 2016 UEFA European Championship, Sportlobster launched its first ever ₤1 million prediction competition, complimented by a team of former professional footballers including Michael Owen, Sol Campbell and Danny Mills who provided tips and verdicts on how matches at the tournament would play out.
Corporate affairs and affiliations
In September 2013, Sportlobster received £1 million in funding from Luxembourg-based private equity firm, Wychwood Capital Partners in preparation for the launch of the company's iPhone app. In November, minority stakes in the company were purchased by former England international footballer Michael Owen and former Formula 1 driver Mark Webber. In April the following year, Sportlobster gained £2.2 million in investments for the implementation of video games on the website.
In May 2014, a host of sport personalities had signed on to front Sportlobster's campaign, included in which were boxer George Groves and three-time Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo. Three months later Crystal Palace Football Club announced that they had reached an agreement with Sportlobster which would see the company serve as the official social media partner of the club.
In 2016, Sportlobster was acquired by Constellation Sports (Pty) Ltd and restructured under the name 10.
- Gutcher, Lianne (28 May 2013). "Sportlobster, the website that spans arenas". http://www.thenational.ae/business/industry-insights/the-life/sportlobster-the-website-that-spans-arenas. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- Okwango, Musa (23 April 2013). "Bringing Together Sport and Social Media: A Chat With the Founders of Sportlobster". http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/musa-okwonga/bringing-together-sport-a_b_3110238.html. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- Burn-Callander, Rebecca (8 November 2013). "Footballer Michael Owen invests in Sportlobster". The Telegraph.
- Loizou, Kiki (08 April 2014). "Back of the net: sports website wins funds". http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/Tech_and_Media/article1401685.ece. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- "Sportlobster Reaches One Million Useres". 12 June 2014. http://www.sportindustry.co.za/news/sportlobster-reaches-one-million-users. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- Masters, Dave (22 May 2016). "Win €1million by correctly guessing the Euro 2016 results - enter competition free here". http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/win-1million-correctly-guessing-euro-8007847. Retrieved 6 October 2016.
- "Financial fillip for Sportlobster". 11 September 2013. http://www.heraldscotland.com/business/13122332.Financial_fillip_for_Sportlobster/. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- "Footballer Michael Owen invests in Sportlobster". 18 November 2013. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/business-news-markets-live/10455425/Footballer-Michael-Owen-invests-in-Sportlobster.html. Retrieved 16 November 2015.
- Chapman, Stephen (09 May 2014). "Ronaldo fronts Media Agency Group’s Sportlobster campaign". http://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/2014/05/ronaldo-fronts-media-agency-groups-sportlobster-campaign/. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- "Social Media Partner: Sportlobster". 26 August 2014. http://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/article/social-media-partner-sportlobster-1876033.aspx. Retrieved 12 May 2016.
- Usman, Riaz (4 September 2017). "Scoring a perfect '10' with a sports app". https://www.khaleejtimes.com/business/local/scoring-a-perfect-10-with-a-sports-app. Retrieved 15 November 2017.
- Sportlobster raises new cash to expand its social media pitch - Inside World Football
- Website of the day: Sport Lobster - Pocket-lint
- Chelsea flop ‘disappointed’ – why? - HITC Sport
- Sportlobster | CrunchBase
- Nico Cary, featured in Computer Weekly