Sultan Mahmood (social scientist)
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 30 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Sultan_Mahmood_(social_scientist). All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Sultan_Mahmood_(social_scientist), the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Sultan_Mahmood_(social_scientist).
|Dr. Sulatan Mahmood|
|Native name||ڈاکٹرسلطان محمود|
|Born||Khalabat District Haripur , Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan|
|Residence||Abbottabad, KPK, Pakistan|
|Education||Doctor of Philosophy(PhD)|
|Alma mater||National Institute of Pakistan Studies, Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad|
Dr. Sultan Mahmood is a Pakistani social scientist, scholar and academic expert in political and constitutional history of Pakistan. He is noted for his doctoral research on the democracy in Pakistan. He was founding head of the Department of Pakistan Studies at Abbottabad University of Science and Technology Pakistan  (former Havelian Campus of the Hazara University). He is working as Associate Professor at the Department of Pakistan Studies of Abbottabad University of Science and Technology, Pakistan.
Education and Fields of Interest
Mahmood completed his PhD from National Institute of Pakistan Studies, Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad in 2010 on the topic of "Nature and Functioning of Democracy in Pakistan (1985-1999)". His PhD thesis was supervised by Dr. Riaz Ahmad, former director of National Institute of Historical and Cultural Research in Islamabad, and evaluated by Dr. Louis D.Hayes of the University of Montana, Dr. B. R. Burg of the Arizona State University and Dr. Pippa Virdee of De Monfort University. Previously he had completed his MSc Pakistan Studies from the same institution in 1994. He was sole selected candidate for M.Phil Pakistan Studies at Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad in Fall Semester 1998. His M.Phil was converted into PhD in 1999. His areas of specialization are "Political and Constitutional Development of Pakistan", "Political Parties and Elections in Pakistan" and "Islamization in Pakistan".
He established the Department of Pakistan Studies at Hazara University Havelian Campus (now Abbottabad University of Science and Technology) in difficult circumstances with scarce resources in October 2013. The department flourished and strengthened consistently under his dynamic and enthusiastic leadership and now this department offers the programs of PhD, M.Phil, MSc and BS in Pakistan Studies. Before joining Abbottabad University of Science and Technology, he has been serving at the Department of Political Science of Hazara University Mansehra (2011–2013), Department of Commerce & Management Sciences of the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (1996–2011) and MRF Degree Science College, Pakistan Aeronautical Complex Kamra (1995–1996) as Lecturer/ Assistant Professor. He has been supervising all of the academic activities of Pakistan Studies at Hazara University from 2011 to 2013 and played pivotal role in starting the programs of MSc, MPhil and PhD Pakistan Studies at Hazara University Mansehra.
His published work has addressed the areas of democracy, political and constitutional development in colonial India and voting beaviour in Pakistan. Following are his major researched papers published in national and international research journals:
- 'Constitutional and Political Heritage of Pakistan: An Analysis in Democratic Perspective', Asian Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vol.3 (3), August 2014, pp. 164–171.
- 'Voting Behaviour of Students in Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad: A Case Study of Elections 2013', The International Journal of Humanities and Social Studies, Vol.2, No.8, August 2014, pp. 145–153.
- 'Struggle for Islamic State and Society: An Analysis of Syed Ahmad Shaheed’s Jihad Movement', Pakistan Annual Research Journal, Vol.50, 2014, pp. 175–188.
- 'Role of Muhammad Ali Jinnah in the Indian Round Table Conference (1930–32)', Asian Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vol.5 (1), February 2016, pp. 105–112.
- 'Management of Local Affairs in Colonial India: Analysis of Local Self Government'; Asian Journal of Management Sciences and Education, Vol.5 (2), April 2016.pp. 85–92
- 'Role of Social Media in Political Education and Mobilization: Analysis of Arab Spring in the Paradigm of Youth Bulge Theory', Asian Journal of Management Sciences and Education, Vol.5 (2), April 2016.
- 'Democracy, Islam and Pakistan: A Study in Theoretical and Constitutional Perspective', Asian Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vol.5 (2), May 2016, pp. 207–214.
- 'Indian Influence in Afghanistan and its Impacts on Pakistan', Asian Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vol.5 (2), May 2016, pp. 215–221.
- 'Educational System Of Pakistan: Critical Analysis in Islamic Perspective', Asian Journal of Management Sciences and Education, Vol.5 (3),July 2016, pp. 96–103.
- 'Management Of Local Government In Pakistan: An Analysis of Musharraf Era', Asian Journal of Management Sciences and Education, Vol.5 (3), July 2016, pp. 104–111.
- 'Ummat-i-Muslima Ka Urooj-o-Zawal: Iqbal Ki Nazar Main [Urdu: Rise and Fall of Muslim Ummah: In the Light of Iqbal’s Views]', Arts and Letters, Vol. 16, 2016, pp. 748–762.
- 'Allama Iqbal and Muhammad Ali Jinnah’s Voyage from Indian Nationalism to Muslim Separatism', Pakistan: Annual Research Journal, Vol.52, 2016, pp. 107–127.
- 'Islam and Democracy: In the Light of Thoughts of Maulana Abu Ala Mawdudi', Al-Hamd Islamica, Vol.3, Issue 1, Jan-June 2016, pp. 17–31.
- 'Islam and the Judicial System of Pakistan', Al-Hamd Islamica, Vol.3, Issue 2, July–December 2016, pp. 01–11.
- ‘Aazadi-i-Niswan Ka Tasawwar: Allama Mohammad Iqbal Kay Afkar-o-Khiyalaat Ka Tajzia [Urdu: Concept of Women’s Freedom: Analysis of the Views and Thoughts of Allama Mohammad Iqbal], Majallah Tareekh-o-Saqafat, October 2016-March 2017, pp. 121–139.
Supervision of Research Scholars
Civil-Military Relations in Pakistan (1998-2015)
- Arab Uprising in Middle East and North Africa: The Role of Social Media
- Indo-Afghan Relations Post 9/11: Impacts on Pakistan
- Pakistan’s Foreign Policy Response to Security Threats after 9/11
- An Appraisal of Pakistan’s Policy Towards Afghanistan after 9/11
- Pakistan Foreign Policy Towards India During Nawaz Sharif Government (1997-1999)
- The Impact of Siachen Issue on Pakistan
- Iran’s Nuclear Program and its Implication the Arab World
- Regional Organization in World Politics: a Case Study of Arab League
- The Role of SAARC in Regional Integration
- Role of Political Parties In National Integration In Pakistan (1947-1971)
- Democracy and Political Parties: A Case Study of Jamat-e-Islami in Pakistan
- Politics of Alliances In Pakistan: Case Study of Mutahidda Majlis-i-Amal
- Democracy in Political Parties In Pakistan: A Comparative Study Of Jamaat-e-Islami And Pakistan Peoples Party
- General Elections in Pakistan: a Case Study of 1990 Elections
- Electoral Malpractices in Pakistan (2002-2013)
- An Analytical Study of Local Self Government System in Pakistan with Special Focus on Musharraf’s Local Government Ordinance
- Religious and Secular Politics In Pakistan
- Institutional Mechanism to Resolve Conflicts in Federal States: A Comparative Study of Contemporary Pakistan and India
- A Study Of Charter of Democracy and Its Impact On The Political System Of Pakistan
- The Impact of Political Instability on Tourism & Hotel Industry In District Swat
- Women’s Political Participation in KPK: From 2001 To 2013
- Knowledge-Attitude-Practice (KAP) Analysis of Religious Stakeholders in Polio Vaccination in Mansehra (KPK)
- The Socioeconomic and Political Impacts Of FCR On FATA
- Religious Politics in Pakistan: Case Study of Qazi Hussain Ahmed
- Pakistan's Foreign Policy towards India During Nawaz Sharif Government (1997-1999)
- An Analysis of Religious Influence on US Policy Towards Israel-Palestine.
- Role Of Jamaat-I-Islami in the Islamization Of State And Society In Pakistan
- Muslim Political Thought on Indian Independence from Colonial Rule: Case Study of Moulana Madoodi
- Political Trends in Pakistani Poetry: Case Study of Faiz Ahmad Faiz
- Impacts of 9/11 on Religious Politics Of Pakistan
- Role of Military in The Foreign Policy of Pakistan: 1988-1993
- Democracy and Civil-Military Relations in Pakistan:1999-2013
- Taliban Regime in Afghanistan and its Socio-Political Impact on Pakistan (1996-2001)
- Challenges for the Jihad Movement of Syed Ahmad Shaheed
Evaluation of Research Work
He has evaluated following M.Phil Theses as external examiner:
- The Hazara Province Movement: Prospects and Problems
- Civil-Military Relations in Pakistan and Turkey: A Comparative Analysis
- State of Narrative in the National Curricula of Pakistan Studies at Secondary and Higher Secondary Levels of Education in Pakistan
- Indo-Afghan Relations: Implications on Pakistan’s National Security Post 9/11, 2011
- Indo-Pak Relations During Musharraf Era and Its Repercussions
- Mufti Sayyah Uddin Kaka Khel: Life and Services
- Empowering Women for Political Participation: Case Study District Tank
- Political Development in District Malakand 2002-2016
- Pak-Iran Relations: Opportunities, Challenges and Prospects (2001-2014)
- Pakistan-United States Cooperation in War Against Terror (2001-2008)
- Trends in Electoral Campaign in General Elections 2013: A Case Study of Hazara Division
- Pakistan's Foreign Policy Towards India During Pervez Musharaf Regime: A Critical Analysis
- Politics of Foreign Aid and its Implications for the Donee: An Analysis of US-Aid to Pakistan (2000-2010)
Major Conferences Attended
- National Conference on "Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah: His Thought and Contribution", Islamabad, 30–31 December 2004.
- International Conference on "All India Muslim League (1906-1947), 18–21 December 2006, by NIHCR, Quaid-i-Azam University, in connection with National Centenary Committee on Muslim League, Islamabad.
- International Conference on "Khyber Pakhtunkhawa: History and Culture", November 28–30, 2012, at University of Peshawar, organized by National Institute of Historical and Cultural Research, Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad and Pakistan Study Centre, University of Peshawar. Presented Research Paper on “Syed Ahmad Shaheed in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa: 1826-1831”.
- National Conference on FATA, 29–31 August 2013, Baragali Summer Camp, University of Peshawar, Organised by Pakistan Study Centre, University of Peshawar. Presented Research Paper on “Political Parties and Elections 2013 in FATA: An Analytical Study”.
- National Dialogue on Pakistan Studies Curriculum, 3–4 August 2014, Baragali Summer Camp, University of Peshawar, Organised by Pakistan Study Centre, University of Peshawar. Presented Research Paper on “An Analysis of Pakistan Studies Curriculum at National Institute of Pakistan Studies, Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad”.
- International Conference on Balochistan: History and Culture, 28–30 April 2014, Islamabad, Organized by National Institute of Historical and Cultural Research, Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad and Higher Education Commission of Pakistan. Presented Research Paper on “Origin and Evolution of Balochi Language: Critical Analysis of Different Theories”.
- International Conference on Ethno-Federalism in Punjab and Beyond, 13–14 April 2015, Lahore, Organized by Department of Political Science, Forman Christian College University Lahore, Co-Sponsored by the Hanns Seidel Stiftung and the American Institute of Pakistan Studies. Presented Research paper on “Ethnic Mobilization and Efforts to Establish New Provinces in Pakistan: Case Study of Movement for Hazara Province”.
- International Conference on The Role of Syed Ahmed Shaheed as Preacher, Freedom Fighter and Reformer, 29–31 July 2015, Hazara University Mansehra, Presented Research Paper on “Jihad Movement of Syed Ahmed Shaheed: An Analysis of its Achievements and Failures”.
- International Hindko Conference, 27–28 March 2016, Haripur, organized by Gandhara Hinko Board Peshawar.
- National Conference on ‘Pakistan’s Relations with China’, 11–12 May 2016, Pakistan Study Centre, University of Peshawar.
- International Conference on ‘1973 Constitution of Pakistan: The Role of Executive, Legislature and Judiciary’, 30–31 May 2016, Presented Research Paper on “Opinion of Legal Community about Islamization: Case Study of 15th Amendment Bill”.
- National Workshop on Research Techniques and Creative Writing Skills, 29–31 July 2016, University of Peshawar Summer Camp Baragali, Organized by Pakistan Study Centre, University of Peshawar, Presided the Session.
- National Conference on Hazara: A Symbol of Unity in Diversity, December 5, 2017, Organized by Department of Pakistan Studies, Abbottabad University of Science & Technology.Presented Research Paper on the History of Hazara.
- National Dialogue on Education Islamabad, 27–28 December 2017, Organized by Institute of Policy Studies, Islamabad, Presented Research Paper on “New Educational Experiments in Pakistan: Case Study of BS Program in KPK”.
- National Conference on Emerging Trends in Pakistan Economy: Socio-Economic Challenges and Opportunities, April 26–27, 2018, Organized by Department of Economics, Abbottabad University of Science & Technology. Presented Research Paper on “Impacts of Trickle-Down Theory on the Political Economy of Pakistan: An Assessment of Ayub Khan Era”.
- National Conference on Higher Education & Sustainable Development, 3–5 August 2018: Khanaspur Summer Campus Punjab University. Presented Research Paper on 'Higher Education in Pakistan: A Critical Analysis in Islamic Perspective'.
He has taught following courses at Hazara University Mansehra and Abbottabad University and Science and Technology:
PhD Political Science:
1. Advanced Studies of Imam Ghazaali and Ibn-i-Khaldun ;
2. International Economic Relations
PhD Pakistan Studies:
1. Research Methodology;
2. Allama Iqbal and the Quaid-i-Azam: Lives and Thought;
3. Democracy in Pakistan: Problems and Prospects
M.Phil Pakistan Studies:
1. Strategic Issues and Defence Policy of Pakistan;
2. Islam and Pakistan;
3. Allama Iqbal and the Quaid-i-Azam: Lives and Thought;
4. Democracy in Pakistan: Problems and Prospects
M.Phil Political Science:
1. Muslim World;
2. Research Methodology;
3. Political Parties and Elections in Pakistan
MSc Pakistan Studies:
1. Freedom Movement (1857-1947);
2. Ideology of Pakistan;
3. Research Methodology;
4. Pakistan Through the Ages (Medieval);
5. Islamization in Pakistan: Principles and Problems;
6. Pakistani Languages and Literature;
7. Economic Development in Pakistan;
8. Role of Civil and Military Bureaucracy in Politics of Pakistan;
9. Public Administration in Pakistan;
10. Political & Constitutional Development in Pakistan
BS Pakistan Studies:
1. Ideology of Pakistan
2. Introduction to Politics and Governance in Islam
M.A. Political Science:
1. Pakistan Movement (1857-1947)
2. Research Methodology
- "Department of Pak Studies". http://aust.edu.pk/staff-pakstudies.html.
- "MPhil and PhD scholars". https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/139367-Scholars-trained-into-research-techniquescreative-writing-skills.
- Abbottabad University of Science and Technology (AUST), Department of Pak Studies/staff, archived from the original on 2016-05-21, https://web.archive.org/web/20160521165847/http://www.aust.edu.pk/staff-pakstudies.html
- "Constitutional and Political Heritage of Pakistan: An Analysis in Democratic Perspective". http://www.ajssh.leena-luna.co.jp/ajsshvol3n3.php.
- "Voting Behaviour of Students in QAU". http://theijhss.com/2014-2/august-14.
- "Struggle for Islamic State and Society". http://pscpesh.org/index.php/archive/301-volume-50.
- "Role of Quaid in round table conference". http://www.ajssh.leena-luna.co.jp/ajsshvol5n1.php.