- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on July 28 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Traffline. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Traffline, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Traffline.
Template:Use Indian English oooh, orphan
Traffline is a website and mobile app that provides real time traffic information in 5 cities in India, Mumbai, Delhi NCR, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai and Pune. Developed by Mumbai-based start-up Birds Eye Systems Pvt Ltd it was launched in 2012 by co-founders Brijraj Vaghani and Ravi Khemani. Apart from web and mobile, Traffline also provides Traffic updates via SMS, email, social media and call center.
Brijraj and Ravi, while living in the US, noticed that people were used to checking traffic status online before heading out. They planned to introduce Indian masses to the same concept and started Birds eye Systems in 2009. In 2010, they were chosen as finalists in that year's edition of Power of Ideas, and were selected for incubation at IIM, Ahmedabad. Their first application, Taxi Go, an online taxi booking service was launched in 2011 and launched Traffline in early 2012. Until now, the Traffline mobile application has received over a 1,000,000 downloads.
Traffic information is collected via following sources :
- Traffic flow data collected from moving probes - GPS fitted taxis, public transport vehicles and others.
- Accident and event related information collected from field personnel and crowdsourced from followers on Social networking sites like Twitter who volunteer such information.
Traffline runs the collected data through a patented algorithm and displays data to users in the form of colored coded lines along each road on a map. Each line represents traffic speed on the particular road.
Initial capital was the founders' personal savings of about Rs. 35-40 lakh. Since then various other institutions and investors have associated with Traffline.
Traffline (Birds Eye Systems Private Limited) has received funding from :
- Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) - seed investment of Rs. 20 lakhs
- Indian Angel Network- Rs. 2 crores in 2012.
- Undisclosed Series A investment from Matrix Partners in 2013.
- Undisclosed Series B investment from Qualcomm Ventures in 2014.
Growth and Expansion Plans
By 2014, Traffline is planned to be rolled out for National Highways and in ten other Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities. The organisation also plans to roll out other varied types of information for everyday commuters in the same cities.
- Live Traffic - Real Time Updates, Alerts, Alternate Routes | Traffline
- "Mumbai startup Traffline takes on Google Maps, provides real-time info about traffic jams in India". DNA, India. 21 November 2013. http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/report-mumbai-startup-traffline-takes-on-google-maps-provides-real-time-info-about-traffic-jams-in-india-1922394. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Soon, check traffic updates online". The Times of India. 2 August 2012. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/personal-tech/computing/Soon-check-traffic-updates-online/articleshow/15324895.cms?referral=PM. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Birds Eye System - 14 startups to look forward to in 2014". The Economic Times. 23 December 2013. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/slideshows/biz-entrepreneurship/14-startups-to-look-forward-to-in-2014/birds-eye-system/slideshow/27778085.cms. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- Traffline : Dedicated to save you from traffic | TechAloo | College Start up | Entrepreneurship | Asian Startup news
- Power of Ideas 2012: Start-up Birds Eye Systems provides real-time traffic updates on web and mobile for consumers - Economic Times
- Beat Mumbai's traffic jams with this helpful phone app
- Traffline - Your one stop for traffic updates, route info
- "Traffline - Your one stop for traffic updates, route info". Money Control. 13 January 2014. http://www.moneycontrol.com/smementor/mentorade/gyan-guru/trafflineyour-one-stop-for-traffic-updates-route-info-1023525.html. Retrieved 2014-03-12.