Wayne Gerard Trotman
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on February 25 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Wayne_Gerard_Trotman. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Wayne_Gerard_Trotman, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Wayne_Gerard_Trotman.
Primary sources Template:Like resume
Template:EngvarB Wayne Gerard Lionel Trotman (born 16 May 1964, San Fernando, Trinidad), is a Trinidadian-British independent filmmaker, writer, photographer, composer and producer of electronic music.
On 16 May 1964, Wayne Gerard Trotman was born in San Fernando, Trinidad. By the age of six, he was experimenting with recording on a reel-to-reel tape recorder. He recorded science fiction stories in which he performed all the dialogue and created all the sound effects. At this time, he also developed an interest in drawing, painting and photography.
Trotman studied history and art at Presentation College, San Fernando, where he won the Presentation College Art Prize twice: 1979 and 1982. During the early 1980s, he also won national art prizes in Trinidad and Tobago. His artwork during this period consisted largely of comic book illustrations and acrylic or oil paintings. Photographs of his work were submitted to the Heatherley School of Fine Art in Chelsea, London winning him a place to study art and design there in 1984.
In August 1984 Trotman moved to England to study art and design at the Heatherley School of Fine Art in Chelsea, London. In 1985, Trotman's painting titled Psychedelic Eric was accepted for the London Youth Festival exhibition and he was featured in both The Caribbean Times and West Indian World newspapers.
Early musical development
Template:No references Trotman attributes hearing the popular singles "Popcorn" (Gershon Kingsley) by Hot Butter in 1972 and Equinoxe Part 5 by Jean Michel Jarre in 1979 as the catalysts for his development as a composer and producer of electronic music.
In 1979 he received a Casio VL-1, also known as a Casio VL-Tone, as a gift and began to teach himself music composition. He continued his experimentation with tape loops, overdubbing and most notably the creation of rhythms using only audio feedback. Trotman is a self-taught musician and has never had traditional piano lessons nor does he possess substantial knowledge of reading or writing musical notation.
Trotman found the Casio VL-1 limiting and as a result, his initial exploits in music creation were very frustrating. In 1981 he began using a Casiotone MT-70 electronic keyboard and produced compositions recorded using two audio cassette recorders and a mono echo recorder. By 1983 he had produced over 200 experimental, often bizarre, home recordings.
Film and video
Between the late 1980s and mid 1990s, Trotman produced compositions for British Sky Broadcasting (BSkyB) as well as low-budget independent film productions. He completed his second feature film script, titled Ashes to Ashes in 1994, and in 1995 his short film London: Metropolis of the Future premiered at the British Short Film Festival.
In 2006, Trotman co-produced a training DVD, which tackles the root cause of anxiety and panic attacks: The Fight or Flight Response.
Between 2006 and 2009, he wrote part one of the epic "Psychic Wars" science fiction saga Veterans of the Psychic Wars. Between 2010 and 2015, Trotman wrote the first instalment of the "Kairi Chronicles" titled Kaya Abaniah and the Father of the Forest, which is also set in his fictional Psychic Wars universe. Kaya Abaniah and the Father of the Forest is a coming-of-age, science-fiction adventure story. It is set in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago and presented with much of its dialogue in authentic Trinidadian Creole. It explores the culture of Trinidad and Tobago and combines legends and characters from Trinidad and Tobago folklore, including Papa Bois, Soucouyant, Douen and Mama Dlo, with the themes of wildlife conservation, redemption, and forgiveness. The novel was academically reviewed in Supernatural Literature, a 3-volume encyclopaedia published by St. James Press covering the literature of the supernatural across the canon, including such notable works as Shakespeare's Hamlet, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Editor Thomas Riggs noted that Kaya Abaniah and the Father of the Forest was the most recent work reviewed in Supernatural Literature, and reviewer Sean Hutchison credited Trotman with rewriting the Soucouyant myth. In a Q&A session with the New Statesman, author and poet Benjamin Zephaniah cites Trotman's Kairi Chronicles as the last book that changed his thinking.
Also in 2015, Trotman published Images of Cuba a travel photography book featuring his photographs of the landscapes, beaches, architecture, classic cars and multi-ethnic people of Cuba. He also published Classic Cars of Cuba, which features his photographs of Cuba's antique cars from the 1940s and 1950s.
In November 2016, Trotman and his wife, Sherrie, wrote the cookbook Rum & Red Peppers: 80 Caribbean, Armenian, Middle Eastern & Mediterranean Recipes. In this book, which features 164 full-colour photographs, Trotman is also credited with photography and design.
In October 2019, Trotman announced the publication of the first of six illustrated children's books under the umbrella of Wayne Gerard Trotman's Rhyming Stories. The Last Honey Bee aims to educate young children regarding the importance of honey bees while urging them not to harm these important pollinators. In rhyme, the book introduces worker bees, drones, and queens while illustrating the differences between honey bees and other insects such as wasps. Children are encouraged to plant wildflowers to improve the environment for bees. The Last Honey Bee was a finalist in the Wishing Shelf Book Awards 2019 in the Pre-School Picture Books Category. A Tiger's Tale highlights the plight of the critically endangered Sumatran tiger while also depicting the Sumatran rhino, Sumatran elephant and Sumatran orangutan. A Tiger's Tale was a finalist in the Wishing Shelf Book Awards 2019 in the Books for 6 – 8 Year Olds Category. Published in January 2020, Trotman's third rhyming story, An Elephant's Advice, highlights the dangers faced by African forest elephants from hunters and poachers.
On his blog, Red Moon Chronicle: Reviews & Interviews – Dedicated to Science Fiction, Fantasy and the Speculation of Creative Minds, Trotman has interviewed Syd Mead, John Howe, Kevin J. Anderson, Larry Fast, Alan Dean Foster, Robert J. Sawyer, Linda Nagata, Jeremy Robinson, Chris Moore, Armen Chakmakian and others. Trotman's second blog, Psychic War Journal, explores the fictional characters, worlds and cultures created in his science fiction novels, and introduces his children's rhyming stories and travel photography books.
- Veterans of the Psychic Wars (2011), Red Moon Productions Ltd. ISBN 978-0-9567872-0-0
- Kaya Abaniah and the Father of the Forest (2015), Red Moon Productions Ltd. ISBN 978-0-9567872-1-7
Children's rhyming stories
- The Last Honey Bee (2019), Red Moon Productions Ltd. ISBN 978-1-9161848-0-0
- A Tiger's Tale (2019), Red Moon Productions Ltd. ISBN 978-1-9161848-1-7
- An Elephant's Advice (2020), Red Moon Productions Ltd. ISBN 978-1-9161848-2-4
- Images of Cuba (2015), Red Moon Productions Ltd. ISBN 978-0-9567872-4-8
- Classic Cars of Cuba (2015), Red Moon Productions Ltd. ISBN 978-0-9567872-5-5
- Rum & Red Peppers: 80 Caribbean, Armenian, Middle Eastern & Mediterranean Recipes (2016), Red Moon Productions Ltd. ISBN 978-0-9567872-6-2
- Motion (2006)
- Red Moon (2006)
- Promised Land (2006)
- Land and Sea (2007)
- Ashes to Ashes – Music from the Wayne Gerard Trotman film (2007)
- Atmosphere (2007)
- Popcorn / Sultana (Medley) – Single (2010)
- Mortal Map (2012)
- London: Metropolis of the Future (1995)
- Ashes to Ashes (1999)
Trotman has had training in several martial arts including karate, taekwondo, Chinese martial arts and fencing. He is a self-taught exponent of nunchaku. In 2012, he released the eBook Ashes to Ashes: Screenplay, and also became Kingston upon Thames Adult Intellectual Chess Champion in the Surrey Hundreds All Surrey Chess Championship.
- In 2011, a Growing Leaders Foundation Think Tank Library in honour of Wayne Gerard Trotman was established at Sacred Heart Girls' Roman Catholic Primary School, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago.
- Trotman's name is among those featured by British artist Yinka Shonibare MBE, in his artistic installation titled The British Library. The work celebrates many notable immigrants to Britain throughout history.
- "Official Red Moon Productions Site". http://www.redmoon.co.uk. Retrieved 8 October 2007.
- "Red Moon Productions: Film". http://www.redmoon.co.uk/film.htm/. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- Leeder, Mike (April 2006). "Ashes to Ashes". Impact Magazine (MAI Publications): pp. 62–63. http://www.impactmoviemagazine.co.uk/issue.php?i=172&a=109. Retrieved 8 October 2007.
- "*New* Veterans of the Psychic Wars - Novel Trailer - Wayne Gerard Trotman". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuebyX7FmzY. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Author/Filmmaker Wayne Gerard Trotman Supports Conservation". Red Moon Productions Ltd.. 2015. https://www.prlog.org/12430749-authorfilmmaker-wayne-gerard-trotman-supports-conservation.html. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- Gosine-Mayrhoo, Nandini. "Wayne Gerard Trotman Creates Kaya Abaniah: A Caribbean Science Fiction Hero". https://www.potentmagazine.com/wayne-gerard-trotman-creates-kaya-abaniah-caribbean-science-fiction-hero/.
- Riggs, Thomas (March 2017). Supernatural Literature, 1st Edition, Volume 3: Monsters and Beasts. St. James Press, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. pp. 160–163. ISBN 978-1-4103390-7-2. http://www.cengage.com/search/productOverview.do?N=197+4294921852&Ntk=P_EPI&Ntt=141428904193992950393724986594933391&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial.
- Riggs, Thomas (March 2017). Supernatural Literature, 1st Edition, Front Matter: Editor's Note. St. James Press, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. pp. xv. ISBN 978-1-4103390-7-2. http://www.cengage.com/search/productOverview.do?N=197+4294921852&Ntk=P_EPI&Ntt=141428904193992950393724986594933391&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial.
- Riggs, Thomas (March 2017). Supernatural Literature, 1st Edition, Volume 3: Monsters and Beasts. St. James Press, a part of Gale, Cengage Learning. p. 161. ISBN 978-1-4103390-7-2. http://www.cengage.com/search/productOverview.do?N=197+4294921852&Ntk=P_EPI&Ntt=141428904193992950393724986594933391&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial.
- "Benjamin Zephaniah Q&A: "My first racist attack was a brick in the back of the head"". https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/books/2017/12/benjamin-zephaniah-qa-my-first-racist-attack-was-brick-back-head. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- "Benjamin Zephaniah PRESIDENT". Benjamin Zephaniah. 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RIbQNxhAMs. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- "Images of the People, Places & Classic Cars of Cuba". 30 November 2015. http://psychicwarjournal.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/images-of-people-places-classic-cars-of.html. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "British Husband and Wife Filmmakers Fuse Caribbean and Armenian Cuisines in Rum & Red Peppers". Red Moon Productions Ltd.. 2017. https://www.prlog.org/12614088-british-husband-and-wife-filmmakers-fuse-caribbean-and-armenian-cuisines-in-rum-red-peppers.html. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- "Red Moon Productions". Red Moon Productions. 2019. http://www.redmoon.co.uk/index.htm. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Honey Bee Numbers Are Declining. Are Children Our Last Hope To Save Them? Author And Filmmaker Wayne Gerard Trotman Thinks So". Red Moon Productions Ltd.. 2019. https://www.prlog.org/12794769-honey-bee-numbers-are-declining-are-children-our-last-hope-to-save-them-author-and-filmmaker-wayne-gerard-trotman-thinks-so.html. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- Trotman, Wayne Gerard. "Red Moon Chronicle". http://redmoonchronicle.blogspot.co.uk/. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- Trotman, Wayne Gerard. "Psychic War Journal". http://psychicwarjournal.blogspot.com/. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Profile: Wayne Gerard Trotman". http://www.redmoon.co.uk/about.htm. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Growing Leaders Foundation Website". Growing Leaders Foundation. 2020. http://growingleadersfoundation.com/. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "Think Tank Libraries created by GLF in 2011". Growing Leaders Foundation. 2020. http://growingleadersfoundation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Think-Tank-Libraries.pdf. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "The British Library Names". Yinka Shonibare. 2018. http://thebritishlibraryinstallation.com/names. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- "About The British Library". Yinka Shonibare. 2018. http://thebritishlibraryinstallation.com/about. Retrieved 15 August 2018.
- Red Moon Productions Limited Official Media Release
- Wayne Gerard Trotman Official Website
- Wayne Gerard Trotman's Blog – Red Moon Chronicle
- Wayne Gerard Trotman's Blog – Psychic War Journal
- Wayne Gerard Trotman Quotes on Goodreads
- Template:Isfdb name
- Wayne Gerard Trotman on Facebook
- Wayne Gerard Trotman on Twitter
- Wayne Gerard Trotman on Getty Images
- Wayne Gerard Trotman on 500px
- Wayne Gerard Trotman on ReverbNation
- Wayne Gerard Trotman on SoundClick
- Wayne Gerard Trotman on MySpace
- Red Moon Productions Limited on Myspace
- Template:IMDb title
- Potent Magazine Wayne Gerard Trotman Creates Kaya Abaniah: A Caribbean Science Fiction Hero