World of Good
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on May 30 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:World_of_Good. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/World_of_Good, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/World_of_Good.
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (September 2008)
World of Good Inc. is a U.S.-based importer and reseller that brings handcrafted products from cooperatives, NGOs and nonprofits in developing countries to the US market with the aim of promoting fair trade. The company was founded in 2004 by Stanford University graduate Priya Haji. According to the company, World of Good donates 10% of its profits towards its sister fair trade organization World of Good: Development organization, a 501(c)(3) non-profit that attempts to build a stronger fair trade crafts movement in the United States.
In its first full year of business, World of Good sold over 100,000 handmade items crafted by 133 artisan groups in 31 countries directly benefiting the lives of over 2,500 artisans and their families.[no citations needed here] The artisans, mostly women, benefit from a safe work environment and pay that exceeds the local minimum wage. The company has signed deals with socially conscious retailers such as Whole Foods to carry their products.
World of Good has helped build a school in Guatemala, created employment for the disabled in Cambodia and for HIV positive women in Swaziland, promoted anti-child-labor activism in India, provided Tsunami relief in Sri Lanka and supported educational programs in Guatemala and Nepal.[no citations needed here]
In September 2008, eBay licensed the "World of Good" name and partnered with the company to develop an online fixed price store, WorldofGood.com. The store allows customers to find out more about the seller of an item. To distinguish the products World of Good inc. actually imports it re-branded its product line as "Original Good".
- Bertoni, Steven. "Forbes Up And Comers: Priya Haji, David Tobin, Amy Jo Martin". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2012/11/20/forbes-up-and-comers-priya-haji-david-tobin-amy-jo-martin/.
- Said, Carolyn. "World of Good crafts opportunities for artisans". San Francisco Chronicle. http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/World-of-Good-crafts-opportunities-for-artisans-3210326.php. Retrieved 31 May 2017.
- Rachel Metz New eBay site has social, environmental aim Associated Press, September 3, 2008. Retrieved September 22, 2008
- Frequently Asked Questions Original Good website. Retrieved September 22, 2008.
- Official website
- Insanity, Entrepreneurship and A World Of Good, an article by Priya Haji on how she came to co-found World of good.