Template:COI oooh, orphan
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 4 2013. This is a backup of Wikipedia:AFerry. All of its AfDs can be found with PrefixIndex, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/AFerry. If the page name here has changed, please see these three pages instead.
Template:Infobox dotcom company AFerry.co.uk is a British price comparison website for the ferry travel market. In 2012, the service covered more than 1,200 routes from more than 80 operators across Europe. The company was established by the Howe-Davies family in 2001.
AFerry.co.uk is owned and operated by The Travel Gateway Limited and is part of a family of ferry travel websites including the Ferrysavers brand. The Travel Gateway is based in the village of Sutton Courtenay northwest of Didcot in Oxfordshire.
The Travel Gateway, founded in 2001, is part of a group of companies which exist under the banner of the 2morrow Group, formed in 2005. James Howe-Davies is group Chief Operating Officer (CEO) of the 2morrow Group and his younger brother Michael Howe-Davies is CEO of The Travel Gateway Limited. The oldest company under the 2morrow Group umbrella is Entee Global Services which was founded in 1997. Entee Global Services develop online reservation system technology including WebRes which is a web-based technology providing real-time booking and inventory management for ferry, cruise ship, rail transport, bus, airline and hotel operators. Much of the technology behind AFerry.co.uk is developed by Entee Global Services.
In November 2010, AFerry.co.uk was named Website of the week by the Daily Mail newspaper in an article written by travel writer Fred Mawer. In May 2013, the iPhone variant of the AFerry.co.uk mobile app 'Find a ferry - all ferries!' was named as The Sun newspaper’s Travel App of the Week. The Travel Gateway has won the award of World’s Leading Ferry Website at the World Travel Awards three times, in the years 2010, 2011 and 2012. In addition, in the years 2012 and 2013, the company was also given the award of Europe’s Leading Ferry Website at the same awards.
Guide Book Entries
AFerry is put forward as a travel resource in several guide books focused on Europe. These include books published by Lonely Planet, Cadogan Guides, Frommer's, Bradt Travel Guides, Rough Guides, and those written by the travel writer Rick Steves. AFerry is also mentioned in The Traveler's Web: An Extreme Searcher Guide to Travel Resources on the Internet.
Fred Mawer of the Daily Mail noted several weaknesses in his full review of the website, these being mark-ups applied to some companies such as Eurotunnel, credit card charges and the quality of some maps.
AFerry partner with Stena Line to allow the booking of select routes and operators on the Stena Line UK website which are not offered by Stena Line themselves. AFerry.co.uk also offers ferry booking services on the Travel Supermarket UK website, a sister site of the Money Supermarket website.
- Trend, Nick (1 March 2012). "Travel advice: cheap ferry crossings to France". http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-advice/9115344/Travel-advice-cheap-ferry-crossings-to-France.html. Retrieved 12 August 2013.
- Butler, Sophie (29 April 2012). "Travel advice: when should I book my summer ferry?". http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel-advice/9232063/Travel-advice-when-should-I-book-my-summer-ferry.html. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Davies, Phil (15 January 2013). "Aferry to relaunch trade site". http://www.travolution.co.uk/articles/2013/01/15/6342/aferry-to-relaunch-trade-site.html. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "About AFerry.co.uk - Everything you need to know about AFerry.co.uk". http://www.travelsupermarket.com/c/ferry/about/. Retrieved 13 August 2013.
- "About Us". http://www.2mgroup.com/aboutus.htm. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Ferry Reservation System - WebRes". http://www.entee.co.uk/. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- Mawer, Fred (26 November 2010). "Website Of The Week: www.aferry.co.uk". http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1333267/Website-week-www-aferry-uk.html. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "aFerry". http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/travel/appoftheweek/4945218/aFerry.html. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "The Travel Gateway Ltd (aferry.com)". http://www.worldtravelawards.com/profile-29872-the-travel-gateway-ltd-aferry-com. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- Garwood, Duncan; Elliott, Mark; Averbuck, Alexis; Dragicevich, Peter; Ham, Anthony; Masters, Tom; Baker, Baker; Masters, Tom et al. (2013). Lonely Planet Mediterranean Europe (Travel Guide). Lonely Planet. p. 961. ISBN 174220418X. http://books.google.com/books?id=YbtxTd95IjwC. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Facaros, Dana; Pauls, Michael (2008). Corsica (Cadogan Guides). Cadogan Guides. p. 74. ISBN 1860113907. http://books.google.com/books?id=VlmBrEPftAQC. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Marker, Sherry; Rose, Lesley Ann (2012). Frommer's Europe (Frommer's Complete Guides). John Wiley & Sons. p. 6. ISBN 1118369076. http://books.google.com/books?id=_DY9cqhrrxEC&pg. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Leith, Alex; Bromwich, Georgina; Strachan, Donald (2007). Frommer's the Balearics with Your Family (Frommers With Your Family Series). John Wiley & Sons. p. 45. ISBN 0470055294. http://books.google.gr/books?id=bGRluaXJMRAC&pg. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Phillips, Laurence (2009). Lille: City Guide (Bradt Travel Guides (City Guides)). Bradt Travel Guides. p. 26. ISBN 1841622966. http://books.google.com/books?id=WY5J0g8EeVgC&pg. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Smith, Jeremy; Hammond, Richard (2009). Clean Breaks: 500 new ways to see the world (Rough Guide Travel Guides). Rough Guides. p. 376. ISBN 1848360479. http://books.google.com/books?id=kZ4XAQAAMAAJ&q. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Steves, Rick (2011). Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door 2011: The Travel Skills Handbook. Avalon Travel Publishing. p. 27. ISBN 1598806556. http://books.google.com/books?id=lTCpFszJc5sC. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Steves, Rick (2010). Rick Steves' England 2011. Avalon Travel Publishing. p. 193. ISBN 1598806661. http://books.google.com/books?id=Kh-dFcjpXNMC&pg. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- Steves, Rick (2009). Rick Steves' Europe Through the Back Door 2009: The Travel Skills Handbook. Avalon Travel Publishing. p. 26. ISBN 1598801082. http://books.google.com/books?id=zFEtAQAAMAAJ. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Hock, Randolph (2007). The Traveler's Web: An Extreme Searcher Guide to Travel Resources on the Internet. CyberAge Books. p. 162. ISBN 0910965757. http://books.google.com/books?id=guqw-DOtGV0C. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Explore Europe and beyond!". http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/aferry/. Retrieved 4 November 2013.