2019 Sri Lankan Swiss embassy controversy
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 5 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2019_Sri_Lankan_Swiss_embassy_controversy. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2019_Sri_Lankan_Swiss_embassy_controversy, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2019_Sri_Lankan_Swiss_embassy_controversy.
On 25 November 2019, a Sri Lankan Swiss embassy staff member who works in Colombo was reportedly abducted by unidentified men and was detained in their custody for an investigation. She was released on the same day after two hours of inquiry. The Swiss government immediately requested the Sri Lankan authorities to conduct inquiry regarding the probe.
Sri Lankan officials launched investigations regarding the alleged kidnapping and mentioned that the attack was possibly in relation to a former top police officer Nishantha de Silva who pledged asylum from Switzerland. The issue has become a significant diplomatic standoff between the two countries with Sri Lanka accusing Switzerland of throwing mud. Sri Lanka Foreign minister further stated that the sequence of events and timeline of the alleged incident, as formally presented by the Swiss Mission on behalf of the alleged victim to the CID, did not in any way correspond with the actual movements of the alleged victim on that date, as borne out by witness interviews and technical evidence, including Uber records, CCTV footage, telephone records and the GPS data. Switzerland government further stated that it will take the issue seriously and called the attack on the employee as unacceptable which would affect the diplomatic ties between the nations. The case is considered to be a mysterious circumstance.
The issue became a prime focus after Nishantha de Silva, a top police officer who was known for inquiring high profile cases since 2015 had reportedly fled to Switzerland with his family in order to seek asylum following the conclusion of the 2019 Sri Lankan presidential election where Gotabaya Rajapaksa emerged victorious. Silva is believed to have received death threats and left the country without proper permission.
On 25 November 2019, the local embassy employee was dragged into a car by a gang of unknown men to obtain information related to the Swiss embassy and information about Silva. The kidnapped woman was forced to disclose the mobile phone data of Sri Lankan citizens who applied for asylum in Switzerland. On the same day she returned to the embassy with minor injuries from her abduction. Newly appointed Major General Kamal Gunaratne met with the ambassador for Switzerland in Sri Lanka and explained the results of the investigation. The Government of Sri Lanka rejected the request from Swiss authorities to send one of its staff members to Switzerland for medical treatment.
In December 2019, the Sri Lankan magistrate court ordered the embassy staff worker to remain in Sri Lanka for inquiries and blocked the staff member from leaving the country until 9 December 2019 without making a police statement. However, the Swiss government stated that the health of the woman deteriorated and further stated that the inquiry would be unfair. On 9 December 2019, the magistrate court further extended the travel ban on the staff member until 12 December 2019 and it was reported that the staff issued a statement before the Criminal Investigation Department regarding the alleged abduction of her.
- "Swiss condemn 'attack' on Sri Lanka embassy worker" (in en-GB). 2019-11-27. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50578481.
- "Swiss decry attack on local embassy employee in Sri Lanka". https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2019-11-28/swiss-decry-attack-on-local-embassy-employee-in-sri-lanka.
- swissinfo.ch, S. W. I.; Corporation, a branch of the Swiss Broadcasting. "Sri Lanka launches probe into kidnapping of Swiss embassy worker" (in en). https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/diplomatic-incident-_swiss-embassy-worker-kidnapped-and-threatened-in-colombo-/45397440.
- "Sri Lanka accuses Switzerland of ‘throwing mud’ | Tamil Guardian". Tamil Guardian. https://www.tamilguardian.com/content/sri-lanka-accuses-switzerland-%E2%80%98throwing-mud%E2%80%99.
- "Sri Lanka refuses to allow Swiss Embassy employee to leave". colombogazette.com. https://colombogazette.com/2019/12/04/sri-lanka-refuses-to-allow-swiss-embassy-employee-to-leave/.
- "Sri Lankan Court bars Swiss Embassy employee from travelling overseas | DD News". http://www.ddnews.gov.in/international/sri-lankan-court-bars-swiss-embassy-employee-travelling-overseas.
- "Swiss raise alarm over 'attack' on Sri Lanka embassy employee". Aljazeera. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/11/swiss-raise-alarm-attack-sri-lanka-embassy-employee-191128061621424.html.
- "Alleged Swiss Embassy staffer abduction" (in en). 2019-12-07. http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2019/12/08/news-features/alleged-swiss-embassy-staffer-abduction.
- "Top detective who investigated high-profile cases flees Sri Lanka". Aljazeera. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/11/top-detective-investigated-high-profile-cases-flees-sri-lanka-191126115850448.html.
- "Sri Lanka airports on alert as top cop flees after death threat" (in en). Gulf News. https://gulfnews.com/world/asia/sri-lanka-airports-on-alert-as-top-cop-flees-after-death-threat-1.1574761132365.
- Press, The Associated (2019-11-28). "Swiss Decry ‘Attack’ on Local Embassy Employee in Sri Lanka" (in en-US). The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/11/28/world/europe/ap-eu-switzerland-sri-lanka.html.
- "You are being redirected...". https://www.mfa.gov.lk/updte-swiss_eng/.
- "Incident at the Swiss embassy in Sri Lanka: State Secretary Pascale Baeriswyl summons Sri Lankan ambassador to the FDFA". https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-77350.html.
- Press, The Associated (2019-12-04). "Sri Lanka Rejects Swiss Request to Fly Staffer for Treatment" (in en-US). The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/12/04/world/asia/ap-as-sri-lanka-switzerland.html.
- swissinfo.ch, S. W. I.; Corporation, a branch of the Swiss Broadcasting. "Sri Lankan court blocks Swiss embassy worker from leaving" (in en). https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/colombo-case_state-secretary-gets-involved-in-sri-lanka-embassy-incident/45408144.
- Press, The Associated (2019-12-02). "Sri Lanka Wants to Query Swiss Embassy Worker Over Threat" (in en-US). The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/12/02/world/asia/ap-as-sri-lanka-switzerland.html.
- "Template:Citation error". http://www.adaderana.lk/news/59421/temporary-travel-ban-imposed-on-swiss-embassy-staffer.
- "Swiss summon Sri Lankan envoy over worker's abduction". 2019-12-05. https://economynext.com/swiss-summon-sri-lankan-envoy-over-workers-abduction-34554/.
- swissinfo.ch, S. W. I.; Corporation, a branch of the Swiss Broadcasting. "Kidnapped Swiss embassy worker in Sri Lanka still unfit for questioning" (in en). https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/politics/investigation_kidnapped-swiss-embassy-worker-in-sri-lanka-still-unfit-for-questioning/45403750.
- "Swiss embassy staffer who was allegedly detained appears before CID - Sri Lanka Latest News" (in en). 2019-12-08. https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/12/08/alleged-detained-swiss-embassy-staffer-provides-a-statement-to-cid/.
- "Court extends Swiss embassy staffer travel ban - Sri Lanka Latest News" (in en). 2019-12-09. https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/12/09/court-extends-swiss-embassy-staffer-travel-ban/.
- "Swiss Staffer Detention: Embassy issues an official statement - Sri Lanka Latest News" (in en). 2019-11-30. https://www.newsfirst.lk/2019/11/30/swiss-staffer-detention-embassy-issues-an-official-statement/.