Jerry G. Blaivas
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 16 2015. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Jerry_G._Blaivas. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Jerry_G._Blaivas.
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page:
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (December 2015)
Jerry G. Blaivas, MD, FACS is an American urologist. Blaivas is a clinical professor of urology at Weill Cornell Medical College, adjunct professor at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and Attending Surgeon at New York Presbyterian Hospital and Lenox Hill Hospital. Blaivas served as a professor of urology and vice chairman of the department of urology at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. He is known for his impacts on urodynamics as a developer of sling surgery for female stress incontinence (without mesh) and developing classification systems for stress incontinence, overactive bladder, female urethral obstruction, urethral stricture detrusor sphincter dyssynergia. Jerry Blaivas founded peer-reviewed journal, Neurourology and Urodynamics, and served as an editor-in-cheif, and he is the co-founder of Symptelligence Medical Informatics, LLC. He is a leading urologic reconstructive surgeon, having performed more than 2,000 autologous fascial slings for incontinence. Blaivas has authored more than 400 publications. He was listed by Castle Connolly as one of America’s top doctors in American and Top Doctors in New York Metro Area since its inception in 1992. Blaivas was recognized by the Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (SUFU) as a founding father of female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery (FPMRS) and received the Ferdinand. C. Valentine Medal from the New York Academy of Medicine for outstanding contributions to urology 2015).
- 1 Education and Training
- 2 Career
- 3 Major Medical Contributions
- 3.1 The Institute for Bladder and Prostate Research
- 3.2 Video Urodynamics
- 3.3 Classification of Lower Urinary Tract Disorders
- 3.4 Autologous Rectus Fascial Pubovaginal Sling
- 3.5 Urethral Reconstruction in Women
- 3.6 Overactive Bladder
- 3.7 Urology Mobile Application
- 3.8 Purohit-Blaivas Staging System of anterior urethral strictures
- 4 Awards and Recognitions
- 5 References
Education and Training
Dr. Blaivas is a 1960 graduate of New York’s Lawrence High School and Tufts University from which he received a bachelor's degree in English Literature in 1964. Blaivas received a medical degree from the Tufts University School of Medicine in 1968. After 3 years of Boston City Hospital general surgery residency, he served in the United States Army as an orthopedic surgeon from 1971 to 1973. After returning, Blaivas completed his urology residency at Tufts New England Medical Center in 1976.
During his chief residency year, Blaivas received a grant from National Multiple Sclerosis Foundation. Upon graduation, he joined the Tufts New England Medical Center's faculty. He was appointed director of the urodynamic laboratory, funded by his multiple sclerosis grant. He was promoted to associate professor of urology in 1979, and started one of the first post-graduate fellowship programs in what is now known as pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery. In 1981, Blaivas joined the faculty of ollege of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, where he has held the positions of professor of clinical urology, director of neurourology, fellowship director, and vice chairman of the department of urology.
In 1982, Blaivas founded Neurourology and Urodynamics, a peer review journal that became the official journal for the International Continence Society , The Society for Dynamics of the Upper Urinary Tract, the Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology and Urodynamic Society. Blaivas remained editor-in-chief from 1982 to 2006, and to this day, remains on the editorial board.
In 1992, Blaias left Columbia University and was appointed clinical professor of urology at Weill Medical College of Cornell University. He founded the UroCenter of New York in the same year.
In 2010, Blaivas was became adjunct professor of urology at SUNY Downstate Medical School, where he mentored medical students and residents in urologic research.
Major Medical Contributions
The Institute for Bladder and Prostate Research
Blaivas was awarded a grant from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society to study the national history of voiding disturbances in multiple sclerosis. This research allowed Blaivas to develop one of the world’s first videourodynamic units, introducing a new method of simultaneously recording and displaying radiological images and urodynamic tracings on a single screen to obtain precise timing of events. Prior to this, videourodynamics was performed by recording physiological parameters on a strip chart recorder and X-rays on a fluorescent screen. This setup left it up to the physician to interpret the interrelationship of physiological and anatomical events by visualizing both images simultaneously on their respective video screens and noting the sequence of events.
When first introduced, urodynamics was mainly used as a method of classifying neurogenic bladder among patients with spinal cord injury. Blaivas' research pioneered use of urodynamics to diagnose subtle neurological disorders amongst patients without known neurological conditions. He was later able to demonstrate the utility of urodynamics in treating patients with neurological diseases other than spinal cord injury (such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, diabetes, and Shy–Drager Syndrome) and for diagnosing the full range of lower urinary tract symptoms in men, women and children including urinary incontinence, urethral obstruction.
Classification of Lower Urinary Tract Disorders
Throughout his career, Blaivas has devised classification systems for urinary incontinence, stress incontinence, detrusor-external sphincter dyssynergia, overactive bladder, urinary urgency, nocturia, and bladder outlet obstruction in women. Blaivas documented a differential diagnosis of benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) that included prostatic obstruction, impaired detrusor contractility (weak bladder) detrusor overactivity (bladder spasms) and sensory urgency (abnormal sensations). Before the publication of his first paper on this issue in 1988, BPH and prostatic obstruction were thought to be synonymous.
Autologous Rectus Fascial Pubovaginal Sling
Blaivas modified the Pubovaginal sling technique by detaching both ends and creating a fascial graft, instead of a flap, that could be tensioned as loosely as necessary. Once the problem of causing obstruction was corrected, Blaivas began to promote the autologous sling as a primary procedure for what is now known as the “index patient” and was instrumental in its acceptance as the gold standard for sphincter incontinence in women.
Urethral Reconstruction in Women
Blaivas introduced the concept that overactive bladder can be diagnosed alone, rather than a symptom of other bladder conditions. The importance of this is to promote investigation into the remediable causes of OAB and to search for effective treatment, rather than the conventional knee jerk prescription of treatments with marginal success rates. He also developed the Urodynamic classification of overactive bladder.
Urology Mobile Application
Blaivas followed his vision of changing the way healthcare is practiced and the way research is conducted. He is a co-founder of Symptelligence(29), a mobile app for patient records, provider data storage and collaborative medicine.
Purohit-Blaivas Staging System of anterior urethral strictures
Prior to the development of the Purohit-Blaivas classification, no common lexicon existed to describe the cystoscopic appearance of urethral strictures. This staging system serves as both an early staging system and a means of communication among urologists.
Awards and Recognitions
- Ferdinand C. Valentine Award, New York Academy of Medicine, 2015
- “Founding Father,” Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine & Urogenital Reconstruction, 2013.
- Victor A. Politano Award, American Urological Association, 2009
- Establishment of the Annual Jerry G. Blaivas Honorary Lectureship, Society of Urodynamics and Female Urology, in 2007
- Continence Care Champion, National Association for Continence, 2005
- Pfizer-American Urological Association Visiting Professor Award, 2004
- Best Clinical Study for the Year 2000, Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology, 2000
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology, 1999
- Brantley Scott, M.D., Award, American Foundation for Urologic Disease, 1999
- J. Marion Sims Award, American Uro-Gynecologic Society, 1993
- Castle Connolly’s Best Doctors in America, 1992-2014
- Castle Connolly’s Best Doctors in New York, 1992-2014
- Zimskind/Kendall Award, Urodynamic Society, 1985
- First Prize for Research, Annual Meeting of the International Continence Society, Leiden, 1982
- Winner, Team Debate, Joint Meeting of the International Continence Society and the Urodynamic Society, Los Angeles, 1980
- Commendations Medal United States Army, 1973
- Sword and Shield Honor Society, Tufts College, 1965
- "Jerry Blaivas". Academic Dictionaries and Encyclopedias. http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/11674323.
- "Faculty - Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City - Cornell University". cornell.edu. http://weill.cornell.edu/faculty/departments/urology.html.
- "Faculty Members". downstate.edu. http://www.downstate.edu/urology/faculty.html.
- "Overactive Bladder in Men". nafc.org. http://archive.nafc.org/library/articles/overactive-bladder-in-men/.
- "Jerry G. Blaivas, MD - New York Presbyterian. The University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell". nyp.org. http://nyp.org/physician/blaivas.
- "Hospital: Lenox Hill Hospital - IDNY". idny.org. http://www.idny.org/hospital/lenox-hill-hospital/.
- "The 2015 Ferdinand C. Valentine Award and Lecture". nyam.org. http://www.nyam.org/events/2015/2015-04-08.html.
- "N-S -". aucofny.com. http://www.aucofny.com/category/n-s/.
- "CONTINENCE CARE CHAMPION". NATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR CONTINENCE. http://www.nafc.org/continence-care-champion/.
- "The surgical treatment of female stress urinary incontinence". PubMed Central (PMC). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2938552/.
- "Best Doctors". NYMag.com. http://nymag.com/nymetro/health/bestdoctors/features/3323/.
- "Jerry Blaivas - Find Email Address, Phone Number & More.". zoominfo.com. http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Jerry/Blaivas.
- "Team". Symptelligence Medical Informatics. http://symptelligence.com/website/meet-the-team/.
- "America's Top Doctors - The Best in American Medicine". castleconnolly.com. https://www.castleconnolly.com/doctors/full.cfm?doctorid=81CC000539-163-143.
- "Jerry G. Blaivas - IDNY". idny.org. http://www.idny.org/physicians/jerry-g-blaivas/.
- "Jerry Blaivas, Urocenter Of New York - Urology Doctor in New York, NY". webmd.com. http://doctor.webmd.com/doctor/jerry-blaivas-md-d49a1bcc-4a23-4194-aa9f-479f53b7aee2-overview.
- "Integrated Medical Professionals - Doctors". imppllc.com. http://imppllc.com/?inc=doctorsbio&dr=109&p=doctors.
- "Female Urology / Urodynamics Fellowship Training". urologymatch.com. http://www.urologymatch.com/node/66.
- "International continence society guidelines on urodynamic equipment performance". wiley.com. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/nau.22546/abstract.
- "Abstracts from the 9th Meeting of the International Society for Dynamics of the Upper Urinary Tract, Akita, Japan, August 7–9, 1992". wiley.com. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/nau.1930140211/abstract.
- "Neurourology and Urodynamics". researchgate.net. http://www.researchgate.net/journal/0733-2467_Neurourology_and_Urodynamics.
- "Neurourology and Urodynamics - Editorial Board - Wiley Online Library". wiley.com. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6777/homepage/EditorialBoard.html.
- "New York Urologist New York Urology Prostate Treatment Urethral Stricture". urocenterofnewyork.com. http://www.urocenterofnewyork.com/.
- "New York Prostate Treatment New York by Jerry G Blaivas New York Urologists New York Urology". urocenterofnewyork.com. http://www.urocenterofnewyork.com/our-doctors/dr-blaivas/.
- "The New York Academy of Medicine". nyam.org. http://support.nyam.org/site/Calendar/1068195091?view=Detail&id=105881.
- Blaivas JG and Barbalias GA. "Detrusor-external sphincter dyssynergia in men with multiple sclerosis: an ominous urologic condition.". nih.gov. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6690756.
- Vírseda Chamorro M , et al.. "[May the Blaivas and Groutz nomogram substitute videourodynamic studies in the diagnosis of female lower urinary tract obstruction?."]. nih.gov. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16933488.
- Kaplan SA, Te AE, Blaivas JG: Urodynamic findings in patients with diabetic cystopathy. J Urol 153:342–344, 1995 CrossRefMedline
- Hyman MJ , et al.. "Detrusor instability in men: correlation of lower urinary tract symptoms with urodynamic findings.". nih.gov. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11458066.
- Blaivas JG. "Editorial: cause and effect of lower urinary tract symptoms.". nih.gov. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12352418.
- Blaivas JG and Groutz A. "Bladder outlet obstruction nomogram for women with lower urinary tract symptomatology.". nih.gov. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11002298.
- Blaivas JG and Chaikin DC. "Pubovaginal fascial sling for the treatment of all types of stress urinary incontinence: surgical technique and long-term outcome.". nih.gov. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21353074.
- "DEFINE_ME_WA". jurology.com. http://www.jurology.com/article/S0022-5347(12)04221-8/abstract.
- "DEFINE_ME_WA". jurology.com. http://www.jurology.com/article/S0022-5347(05)63575-6/abstract.
- "DEFINE_ME_WA". jurology.com. http://www.jurology.com/article/S0022-5347%2805%2963948-1/abstract.
- "DEFINE_ME_WA". goldjournal.net. http://www.goldjournal.net/article/S0090-4295(02)01791-0/abstract.
- 15 http://symptelligence.com/website/
- "Stricture staging system demonstrates good reliability". Urology Times. http://urologytimes.modernmedicine.com/urology-times/content/tags/jerry-blaivas/stricture-staging-system-demonstrates-good-reliability?page=full.
- "DEFINE_ME_WA". urologypracticejournal.com. http://www.urologypracticejournal.com/article/S2352-0779%2814%2900002-8/references.
- Revolvy, LLC. "Purohit-Blaivas Staging System - Expand Your Mind". revolvy.com. http://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Purohit-Blaivas%20Staging%20System.
- "Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine & Urogenital Reconstruction - Event Details". sufuorg.com. http://www.sufuorg.com/EventDetails.aspx?id=SUFUR1305.
- "American Urological Association". auanet.org. https://www.auanet.org/about/awards-archives.cfm?sub=VP.
- "America's Top Doctors - The Best in American Medicine". castleconnolly.com. https://www.castleconnolly.com/index.cfm.