2017 Huwara shooting
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on May 21 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2017_Huwara_shooting. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2017_Huwara_shooting, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2017_Huwara_shooting.
On May 18, 2017, a shooting incident occurred near the Palestinian city of Huwara in the West Bank. A Palestinian mob hurled stones and rocks toward an Israeli car and tried to lynch the driver. The Israeli driver fired his pistol after he feared for his life. A 23-year-old Palestinian man was killed in the shooting and an Associated Press photographer was lightly injured. The gunman was identified as a Israeli settler from Itamar.
On May 18, 2017, an Israeli from Itamar was driving in Route 60 through Huwara when his found his car mobbed by a crowd of Palestinian Arabs throwing rocks, a video shows him trying to continue driving to escape the attacking mob. The video shows a Red Crescent ambulance swerving across the road to block the Israeli driver's path. The video then shows the mob hitting the car with rocks, damaging his windshield. The Israeli exited his vehicle, shooting on the crowd, killing 23 years old Mutaz Bani Shamsa, and lightly injuring Majdi Eshtayya, an Associated Press photographer. The video shows the mob backing off as the Israeli exits the car with his gun.
Some of the demonstrators were brought to the scene for the purpose of blocking the road.
- "Settler shoots Palestinian dead as rioters attack his car". http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4963987,00.html.
- "Israeli settler kills Palestinian, injures journalist during rock-throwing protest – ministry". https://www.rt.com/news/388824-israeli-settler-kills-palestinian/.
- "Israeli settler shoots dead Palestinian protester". http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/05/israeli-settler-shoots-dead-palestinian-protester-170518102939341.html.
- cite news|last1=Gross|first1=Judah Ari|title=Army nabs ambulance driver who allegedly blocked Israeli’s escape from riot|url=http://www.timesofisrael.com/army-nabs-ambulance-driver-who-allegedly-blocked-israelis-escape-from-riot/%7Caccessdate=22 May 2017|publisher=Times of Israel|date=19 May 2017}}
- Berger, Yotam; Khoury, Jack; Cohen, Gili, 18 may 2017. "Settler Defends Killing of Palestinian: They Almost Lynched Me". Haaretz
- "Settler shoots Palestinian dead as rioters attack his car". Ynetnews.