- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on September 20 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:App_Annie. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/App_Annie, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/App_Annie.
Template:Use mdy dates Advertising?
App Annie is an app market data and insights company headquartered in San Francisco, California. It produces consumer and competitive information on downloads, revenue, ratings, usage (MAU/DAU), search terms, etc. to support decision making for app marketing spend optimization, partnering and investment strategies and product roadmap prioritization.
Timeline below provided in an interview with App Annie's VP of Marketing Oliver Lo, speaking with TechinAsia:
- March 2010: AppAnnie.com's official launch with Analytics and Store Stats products for the iOS App Store and Mac Store.
- May 2011: First round of funding: $1 million Series A investment from IDG Capital Partners.
- January 2012: Launched premium product called Intelligence, offering the app store market data. App Annie mascot also updated.
- February 2012: Launched Google Play public beta support across Store Stats, Analytics, and Intelligence products. Partnered with IDC to deliver first quarterly portable/mobile gaming report.
- August 2012: Second round of funding: $6 million Series B investment led by Greycroft Partners and participation from e.ventures, Infinity Venture Partners, Kii Capital, Jarl Mohn, and IDG Capital Partners. Opened San Francisco office.
- December 2012: Launched monthly App Annie Index (a report that tracks the commercial success on the app stores), which is quoted regularly in media outlets such as The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, TechCrunch, and AdAge. Opened offices in London and Tokyo.
- Spring 2013: Launched support for the Amazon Appstore & Windows 8 Store. Localized AppAnnie.com in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Russian.
- Summer 2013: Third round of funding: $15 million Series C with by Sequoia Capital, IDG Capital Partners, Greycroft Ventures, e.ventures, Infinity Ventures (IVP). Launched Intelligence Web and Visualization and App Annie Analytics mobile app for iOS. Launched App Annie for eBooks.
- Fall 2013: Launched Advertising Analytics for App Annie.
- Spring 2014: App Annie has acquired competing mobile analytics firm Distimo as well as raised and additional $17 million in funding. Advertising Analytics leaves beta. Keyword Ranks and ASO / Keyword Tool launched.
- Summer 2014: Advertising Analytics adds support for Facebook.
- Winter 2014 (2015): Audience Intelligence launched. Analytics adds support for Windows Store and Windows Phone Store. Usage Intelligence launches in beta. App Annie raises $55M Series D round.
In January 2016, App Annie announced that it raises $63 million in Series E funding.
Products and platforms
- Store Stats – A free online service for app ranking analysis. It provides a range of charts visualizing on historical rankings, daily rankings, ratings and featured placements broken down by countries and categories for the top 1,000 apps across the iOS, Mac, Google Play, Amazon Appstore, Windows Phone Store, and Windows 8 Store.
- App Store Analytics – A free sales analytics dashboard for app publishers. It allows publishers to track their app downloads, revenues, rankings and reviews across multiple platforms. Publishers can access data via a web dashboard, daily email reports, export function, and API. As of February 2015, App Annie is used by over 45,000 publishers to track more than 370,000 apps around the world.
- Advertising Analytics – A free service that aggregates mobile app advertising data from ad platforms such as 4INFO, Chartboost, Tapjoy, AdMob, etc. and combines them alongside app download and revenue metrics. Most major ad platforms included on the service.
- eBook Store Analytics – A free service that connects Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing and iTunes Connect Books accounts to App Annie's dashboard, giving sales and download information similar to Analytics. Also provides industry-wide eBook analysis for Apple iBookstore and Amazon Kindle Store.
- Intelligence – A premium product that provides algorithm-based market estimations. It helps businesses inform their product, international, marketing, and investment strategies. Intelligence clients as of 2013 were Activision, Dropbox, Electronic Arts, GREE, Microsoft, Tencent, etc.
- Usage Intelligence – A premium product that provides data on an app's active users, average revenue per user (ARPU), penetration, and more.
On July 24, 2014 App Annie filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against its biggest competitor Apptopia Inc., for allegedly marketing its Apptopia Insights product as a "better" alternative to App Annie's services. It was alleged that the Apptopia was misusing the App Annie brand and trademark in its google text ads and landing pages according to the lawsuit.
- Tan, Vanessa (August 20, 2013). "App Annie: Growing a Beijing startup into a global brand in 3 years". http://www.techinasia.com/app-annie-china-mnc-oliver-lo-interview/.
- So, Sherman (July 7, 2011). "App Annie Got Series A investment from IDG Capital Partners". http://technode.com/2011/07/07/app-annie-got-series-a-investment-from-idg-capital-partners/.
- O'Dell, Jolie (August 14, 2012). "The funds’ll come out tomorrow: App Annie seals a $6M round". https://venturebeat.com/2012/08/14/the-fundsll-come-out-tomorrow-app-annie-seals-a-6m-round/.
- Negishi, Mayumi (October 15, 2013). "Enter the New Videogame Boss: SoftBank’s Son". The Wall Street Journal. https://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/10/15/enter-the-new-videogame-boss-softbanks-son/?mg=blogs-wsj&url=http%253A%252F%252Fblogs.wsj.com%252Fdigits%252F2013%252F10%252F15%252Fenter-the-new-videogame-boss-softbanks-son.
- Fujimura, Naoko (May 8, 2013). "Billionaire Taizo Son Emerges With ‘Puzzle & Dragons’ App". Bloomberg. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-08/billionaire-taizo-son-emerges-with-puzzle-dragons-app.html.
- "Ranking The Most Effective and Profitable Apps". Bloomberg. August 1, 2013. https://www.bloomberg.com/video/ranking-the-most-effective-and-profitable-apps-SICk5MkxQp6dUehQevzBoQ.html.
- Perez, Sarah (April 17, 2013). "Apple And Google’s App Stores Now Neck And Neck – Except On The Metric That Matters Most To Developers: Revenue". https://techcrunch.com/2013/04/17/apple-and-googles-app-stores-now-neck-and-neck-except-on-the-metric-that-matters-most-to-developers-revenue/.
- McDermott, John (May 7, 2013). "How Mobile Game Candy Crush Saga Became a TV Advertiser". http://adage.com/article/digital/mobile-game-candy-crush-saga-a-tv-advertiser/241304/.
- "The Daily Startup: Sequoia Backs App Annie With $15M at About $100M Valuation". The Wall Street Journal. September 18, 2013. https://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2013/09/18/the-daily-startup-sequoia-backs-app-annie-with-15m-at-about-100m-valuation/.
- Perez, Sarah (September 18, 2013). "App Annie Scores $15 Million Series C From Sequoia & Others For Further Global Expansion". https://techcrunch.com/2013/09/18/app-annie-series-c/.
- "App Detail » App Annie Analytics". http://www.148apps.com/app/660004961.
- Koetsier, John (October 8, 2013). "App Annie launches analytics for e-books: Amazon, Apple’s iBooks, and eventually Google Play". https://venturebeat.com/2013/10/08/app-annie-launches-analytics-for-ebooks-amazon-apples-ibooks-and-eventually-google-play.
- Tan, Vaness (November 5, 2013). "App Annie now aggregates mobile advertising data from multiple platforms". http://www.techinasia.com/app-annie-advertising-analytics.
- Perez, Sara 5/28/14 TechCrunch "App Annie Acquires Competitor Distimo, Raises Another $17 Million From Existing Investors"
- "Analytics Firm App Annie Raises $63 Million in Series E Funding". January 14, 2016. https://techcrunch.com/2016/01/14/app-annie-raises-63-million-in-series-e-funding/.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on November 16, 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20141116003113/http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/trademark-lawsuits/california-northern-district-court/849252/app-annie-inc-v-apptopia-inc/summary. Retrieved 2015-08-27.