- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 22 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Arnulf_Abele. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Arnulf_Abele, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Arnulf_Abele.
Arnulf Abele (8 November 1914 – 2 July 2000) was a highly decorated Major in the Wehrmacht during World War II and an Oberst in the Bundeswehr. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Arnulf Abele was captured by American troops in 1944 and was released in 1946. He later joined the Bundeswehr, retiring in 1973.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (25 July 1940) & 1st Class (22 January 1942)
- Wound Badge (1939) in Black (28 October 1942)
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Eastern Front Medal
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 12 February 1944 as Hauptmann and commander of I./Reichsgrenadier-Regiment "Hoch und Deutschmeister"
- Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany 1st Class (28 December 1972)
- Thomas & Wegmann 1987, p. 7.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 187.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives. Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz; Wegmann, Günter (1987) (in German). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Teil III: Infanterie Band 1: A–Be. Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-1153-2.