Baldi's Basics In Education and Learning
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on June 10 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Baldi's_Basics_In_Education_and_Learning. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Baldi's_Basics_In_Education_and_Learning, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Baldi's_Basics_In_Education_and_Learning.
Baldi's Basics In Education and Learning is an indie horror game parodying 90s edutainment games. The game was developed by independent game developer Micah McGonigal and was released on March 27, 2018. Template:Infobox video game
The game was released on March 27th, 2018 via Itch.io. It is completely free, but one may optionally donate to the games creator on the download page.
The game requires you to avoid Baldi while collecting a total of 7 different notebooks scattered around the school. In order to progress in the game, you must answer the three math problems in every notebook presented by Baldi. In the first math notebook you find, everything appears to be normal. However, when the player attempts to take the second notebook, the third and final question is replaced by an unintelligible string of numbers. Baldi's reading will become distorted. The third question has no correct answer and replaces all final questions from the second notebook onward.
When the player gets a question wrong, Baldi will begin to chase said player throughout the school, his speed increasing for each question they answer incorrectly from that point on. As the player attempts to collect the remaining notebooks, different characters, such as the school principal, a little girl, a sentient broom, a sock, a bully, and others will appear. While some of them can be strategically manipulated to the players advantage, their main objective is to hinder the player's progress.
The game was created for the Meta Game Jam, a video game competition in which users attempt to create the most self-aware game possible. Baldi's came in 2nd place with 39 ratings and a score of 4.385/5. The game currently holds a 5 star rating on Itch.io. And has gained a cult following.
On April 12th, Gita Jackson of the video gaming website Kotaku gave Baldi a positive review. She wrote, "The titular Baldi will stalk you throughout the school, creepily smacking a ruler against his hand. If he finds you, you get a jumpscare and a game over. Baldi’s Basics isn’t that deep, but I loved both its commitment to the joke of making fun of bad edutainment games and how well it pivots from humor to horror. It’s free on itch.io, and probably would be fun to prank your friends with."
- "Weekly PC download charts: What is ‘Baldi’s Basics in Education and Learning’?" (in en). http://technology.inquirer.net/74987/weekly-pc-download-charts-baldis-basics-education-learning.
- "Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning by mystman12" (in en). https://mystman12.itch.io/baldis-basics.
- "Baldi's Basics in Education and Learning by mystman12 for Meta Game Jam - itch.io" (in en). https://itch.io/jam/metagamejam/rate/239841.
- Jackson, Gita. "A Free Game That Makes Math More Scary" (in en-US). Kotaku. https://kotaku.com/a-free-game-that-makes-math-scary-1825220750.