Citizenship (Amendment) Bill protests
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 12 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Citizenship_(Amendment)_Bill_protests. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Citizenship_(Amendment)_Bill_protests, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Citizenship_(Amendment)_Bill_protests.
Template:Infobox civil conflict The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill protests of 2019, also known as the CAB protests are a series of ongoing protests in India, particularly in Assam, and in the states of Manipur and Tripura in India. The protests are against The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019, which was cleared by the union cabinet on 4 December 2019, and later passed by both houses of the Parliament.
The protests have resulted in hundreds of arrests and four deaths. On Saturday, 14 December, violent protests occurred in West Bengal, the protestors attacked railway stations and public buses. Five trains were set on fire by the protestors in Lalgola and Krishnapur railway stations in Murshidabad district and railway tracks were damaged in Suti.
Template:Further The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019 (CAB) is a bill amending the Citizenship Act of 1955 to give a path to Indian citizenship to illegal migrants who are Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains, Parsis and Christians from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan, who entered India on or before 31 December 2014. It also seeks to relax the requirement of residence in India for citizenship by naturalisation from 11 years to 5 years for these migrants.
The Bill directly challenges the clause 5 of 1985 Assam Accord.
The Bill was criticized by liberal organizations across the country, with the Indian National Congress being at the forefront.[no citations needed here]
Template:Expand section The bill was initially supported by the northeast people for which they supported Bhartiya Janta Party(BJP) in 2019 elections by giving 9 out of 14 seats from Northeast India, because it was going to expel the illegal immigrants from the states of northeast India who came after 25 March 1971 according to Assam Accord (1985).
After the bill was cleared on 4 December 2019, violent protests erupted in Assam, especially in Guwahati, and other areas in the state. In Dispur, several thousands of protesters broke down police barricades to protest in front of the Assam Legislative Assembly building. Demonstrations were held in Agartala.
As a reaction, protests were also held at universities across the country, including IIT Bombay, Presidency University, Jamia Milia Islamia, Osmania University, University of Delhi, and Aligarh Muslim University.
On Saturday, 14 December, violent protests occurred in West Bengal, the protestors attacked railway stations and public buses. Five trains were set on fire by the protestors in Lalgola and Krishnapur railway stations in Murshidabad district and railway tracks were damaged in Suti.
Flights and trains were suspended as a result of the protest. The government imposed an internet shutdown in the states of Assam and Tripura. No play was possible on the fourth day of the cricket match between Assam and Services in the 2019–20 Ranji Trophy because of the protests. The India-Japan summit in Guwahati, which was supposed to be attended by Shinzo Abe was also cancelled. France, Israel, the U.S. and the U.K. have issued travel advisories for nationals travelling to India.
- DelhiDecember 12, Kaushik Deka New; December 12, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 04:01. "Citizenship Amendment Bill protests: Here's why Assam is burning" (in en). https://www.indiatoday.in/mail-today/story/citizenship-bill-protests-here-why-assam-is-burning-1627538-2019-12-12.
- Singh, Bikash (2019-12-12). "Citizenship Amendment Bill 2019: Why is Assam protesting?". The Economic Times. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/et-explains/citizenship-bill-why-is-assam-protesting/articleshow/72483294.cms.
- "'Anti-Muslim’ citizenship law challenged in India court" (in en-GB). 2019-12-12. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50739593.
- "Protests and strikes hit Assam, Manipur, Tripura against CAB" (in en-GB). 2019-12-09. https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/protests-and-strikes-hit-assam-manipur-tripura-against-cab/story-dPRUypEh1zaUzVOY86O7oK.html.
- "Anti-Citizenship Act protests turn violent in West Bengal, Assam situation eases" (in en-IN). The Hindu. 14 December 2019. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/protests-against-citizenship-law-continue-in-bengal-road-and-rail-blockade-at-several-places/article30304513.ece. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Anti-CAB stir: People defy curfew, police open fire as Assam" (in en-GB). 2019-12-12. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/anti-cab-protests-in-assam-police-opens-fire-on-protestors/articleshow/72487251.cms.
- "In India's northeast, protesters rally against citizenship bill". https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/12/india-northeast-protesters-rally-citizenship-bill-191210111006001.html.
- Reuters (2019-12-09). "Protests Erupt as India Pushes for Religion-Based Citizenship Bill" (in en-US). The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019/12/09/world/asia/09reuters-india-citizenship.html.
- Dec 11, Biswendu Bhattacharjee | TNN | Updated:; 2019; Ist, 14:52. "Anti-CAB protests turn violent in Tripura | Agartala News - Times of India" (in en). https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/agartala/anti-cab-protests-turn-violent-in-tripura/articleshow/72472009.cms.
- DelhiDecember 11, Hemanta Kumar Nath Ashutosh Mishra New; December 11, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 00:24. "Shutdown in Northeast, furore across nation as Citizenship Amendment Bill set for Rajya Sabha test today" (in en). https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/citizenship-amendment-bil-protests-assam-tripura-delhi-rajya-sabha-test-1627203-2019-12-11.
- Ravi, Sidharth (2019-12-11). "Protests against CAB spill on to Delhi streets" (in en-IN). The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Delhi/protests-against-cab-spill-on-to-city-streets/article30271483.ece.
- "Students of IIT-Bombay protest passage of CAB" (in en-US). 2019-12-12. https://indianexpress.com/article/india/students-of-iit-bombay-protest-passage-of-cab-6162608/.
- "Bengaluru: Citizens protest against Citizenship Amendment Bill" (in en). 2019-12-09. https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/091219/bengaluru-citizens-protest-against-citizenship-amendment-bill.html.
- Moin, Ather (2019-12-11). "CAB triggers protests in Hyderabad" (in en). https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/111219/cab-triggers-protests-in-hyderabad.html.
- Dec 12, PTI |; 2019; Ist, 19:12. "Presidency University students protest against citizenship bill | Kolkata News - Times of India" (in en). https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/presidency-university-students-protest-against-citizenship-bill/articleshow/72494015.cms.
- "Delhi: 50 Jamia students detained after clash with cops during Citizenship Bill protests" (in en-US). 2019-12-13. https://indianexpress.com/article/india/citizenship-bill-protest-jamia-millia-islamia-students-police-clash-6165506/.
- Dec 13, Mohammad Ibrar | TNN | Updated:; 2019; Ist, 19:46. "Citizenship Amendment Act protests in Delhi: 50 Jamia Millia Islamia students detained after clash with cops | Delhi News - Times of India" (in en). https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/delhi-jamia-millia-islamia-students-clash-with-police-after-march-opposing-cab-stopped/articleshow/72526897.cms.
- "50 Jamia students detained after clash with cops during CAB protest" (in en-IN). The Hindu. 2019-12-13. ISSN 0971-751X. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/50-jamia-students-detained-after-clash-with-cops-during-protest-against-citizenship-bill/article30298456.ece.
- Dec 14, TNN |; 2019; Ist, 7:04. "Hyderabad feels CAB protest heat, cops in full gear stand guard | Hyderabad News - Times of India" (in en). https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hyderabad/city-feels-cab-protest-heat-cops-in-full-gear-stand-guard/articleshow/72553455.cms.
- India, Press Trust of (2019-12-12). "Citizenship bill: DU students hold protest, call legislation 'communal'". Business Standard India. https://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/delhi-university-students-hold-protest-burn-copies-of-citizenship-bill-119121201213_1.html.
- "FIR against Aligarh Muslim University students for protesting against Citizenship (Amendment) Bill" (in en-IN). The Hindu. 2019-12-11. ISSN 0971-751X. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/fir-against-amu-students-for-protesting-against-citizenship-amendment-bill/article30274834.ece.
- "Citizenship Bill protests affect Assam; flights suspended, train services hit" (in en). 2019-12-12. https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/121219/citizenship-bill-protests-affect-assam-flights-suspended-train-servi.html.
- "Anti-Citizenship Bill protests: Army deployed in Assam, Tripura; Internet suspended" (in en-IN). The Hindu. 2019-12-11. ISSN 0971-751X. https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/other-states/anti-citizenship-bill-protests-army-deployed-in-assam-tripura-internet-suspended/article30277108.ece.
- "Ranji Trophy 2019-20: Day four game in Assam suspended due to curfew over CAB". Sport Star. https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cricket/ranji-trophy-2019-20-day-four-games-in-assam-and-tripura-suspended-due-to-curfew-citizenship-amendment-bill/article30284054.ece. Retrieved 12 December 2019.
- Bhattacherjee, Kallol (2019-12-13). "India-Japan Guwahati summit cancelled in view of protests" (in en-IN). The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. https://www.thehindu.com/news/international/india-japan-guwahati-summit-cancelled/article30294202.ece.
- "India protests spread over 'anti-Muslim' law" (in English). 2019-12-13. http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/article/584894/World/Asia/India-protests-spread-over-anti-Muslim-law.