- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 4 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Elizabeth_Lauten. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Elizabeth_Lauten, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Elizabeth_Lauten.
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page:
oooh, orphan Template:Copy edit
Elizabeth Lauten is a former communications director for U.S. Representative Stephen Fincher, (R-Tenn.). Lauten resigned after being widely condemned for posting derogatory remarks on Facebook about Sasha and Malia Obama, daughters of the 44th and current President of the United States, Barack Obama. The first daughters appeared at the president's 2014 annual turkey pardoning, and Lauten criticized their appearance.
“Dear Sasha and Malia, I get you’re both in those awful teen years, but you’re a part of the First Family, try showing a little class,” Lauten wrote. “Rise to the occasion. Act like being in the White House matters to you. Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at a bar.”
Lauten issued an apology hours after her original Facebook post, saying, "When I first posted on Facebook I reacted to an article and I quickly judged the two young ladies in a way that I would never have wanted to be judged myself as a teenager...After many hours of prayer, talking to my parents, and re-reading my words online I can see more clearly just how hurtful my words were."
The controversy sparked by Lauten's comment re-ignited debate over criticizing children and teens growing up in the political spotlight.
- Reese, Diana. "Nothing classy about Elizabeth Lauten’s criticism of the Obama girls". http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/wp/2014/11/30/nothing-classy-about-elizabeth-lautens-criticism-of-the-obama-girls/?tid=pm_politics_pop. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "First Daughters Criticized for Turkey Pardoning Appearance". ABC News. 30 November 2014. http://abc.go.com/shows/good-morning-america/listing/2014-11/30-gma-1130-first-daughters-criticized-for-turkey-pardoning-appearance.
- DelReal, Jose A; O'Keefe, Ed (1 December 2014). "Hill staffer Elizabeth Lauten resigns after remarks about Obama daughters". The Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/12/01/embattled-hill-staffer-elizabeth-lauten-reportedly-resigns-after-controversial-remarks/?hpid=z1. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Jaffe, Alexandra. "GOP staffer calls for more 'class' from Obama daughters". http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/29/politics/fincher-staffer-obama-daughters/index.html. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Lucas, Demetria L.. "Picking on the Obama Girls Isn’t Smart, Especially if You Work for a GOP Congressman". The Root. http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/11/elizabeth_lauten_faces_backlash_after_scolding_sasha_and_malia_on_facebook.2.html. Retrieved 1 December 2014.