Geography of Prizren
- Wikipedia editors had multiple issues with this page: Template:Copy editoooh, orphanDPv2 loves original research.
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on February 23 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Geography_of_Prizren. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Geography_of_Prizren, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Geography_of_Prizren.
Geography of Prizren
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Prizren municipality with an area of 640 km2 ( 5.94 % of Kosovo’s surface ) located in south-western Kosovo has 76 settlements with 220,776 inhabitants of whom 110,000 are Prizren’s local inhabitants .
Prizren borders with municipalities such as : Gjakovë , Rahovec , Shtërpcë, Suharekë, Dragash and in national borders with Albania and Macedonia. For this reason Prizren’s region is located at an altitude of about 400 meters and some of Sharri Mountains reach the height 2000 m above sea level . The climate of the city is extremely variety.
In low areas due to the influence of the Mediterranean climate and very hot summers crops are among the first in Eastern Europe with the incomparable advantages for agricultural crops : grape vines , fruit and vegetables .
In rural regions , Alpine climate dominates , because until June into holes there are still several pieces of snow left where in the middle of the summer the top of mountains are full of snow. This type of configuration gives preconditions for wealth and other resources , for example :
- Based on the amount of water is one of the richest towns.
- This position creates all the preconditions for the development of agricultural crops , livestock , industrial food and tourism based on the model of Austria, Slovenia , Switzerland .
- Through Prizren side passes the shortest route that unites the central part of the Balkans with Adriatic sea .
Geographical and regional position of Prizren can bestly be examined with analysis of his position in relation to Kosovo , and Dukagjini’s area . Kosovo contains areas of Kosovo and Dukagjini .
They are surrounded by almost all sides with high mountains and present a set of clearly separated . Dukagjini’s and Kosovo’s areas are in the middle part of the Balkans. Prizren municipality borders in the north with municipalities of Suhareka and Rahovec , in the south of this municipality with Dragash , in the east with Shtërrpcë and in west borders with the Republic of Albania .Prizren is located off the European highway network.Many traffic routes pass through it’s territory.
However , natural predispositions provide favorable opportunities for connecting with neighboring regions more distant , while forming qualitative connections Prizren will have a much better position for both tourist and freight flows as more efficient connection and integration into wider spaces such as Kosovo , Albania , Macedonia , other border regions , and Europe .
Historical conditions in earlier periods , relatively not very good position in relation to major traffic centers , also not enough openness towards neighboring regions like Albania , Montenegro , Macedonia , made Prizren not to use enough advantages that its got from pedological ground composition , climatic conditions of the Mediterranean climate and hydrological conditions for the development of agriculture and natural conditions for developing tourism and recreational activities. All this has an impact on the economic structure of Prizren .
Physical profile hints that opening communication links with the neighboring regions is one of the main objectives of the development strategy .