- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 8 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Gerard_Adams. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Gerard_Adams, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Gerard_Adams.
December 20, 1984|
Livingston, New Jersey, United States
|Known for||Co-founder, Elite Daily|
Gerard Adams (born December 20, 1984) is an American entrepreneur. Adams was co-founder of Elite Daily a news site targeted towards millennials, which sold to the Daily Mail in 2015 for $50 million. He is also a contributor to Entrepreneur Magazine and the founder of Newark, New Jersey start up accelerator, Fownders.
Early life and education
He graduated from Belleville High School and became interested in the stock market at the urging of his father, who asked him to look up Prudential stock. He spent one semester at Caldwell University before he dropped out to work for an investor relations firm.
In the 2000s, Adams started a stock market forum named StockSpot. The website included a 5-star ratings feature to evaluate writer contributions. Adams claimed he grew StockSpot to $10 million in revenue before the 2008 stock market crash. He founded several other finance-related companies, including an online investor-relations and financial-marketing company, and the National Inflation Association, which educates consumers on economic changes.
Adams said that he took a position in investor relations at nanobatteries firm mPhase to secure investors. Adams pitched the idea to mPhase executives of a real-time demonstration of the mPhase nanobattery. However, according to Adams, in front of an audience of hundreds of investors the technology failed to operate.
Adams has said that he was mentored by Tony Robbins. Citing inspiration from Robbins, Adams launched Fownders as a Newark, New Jersey-based mentorship business. Adams modeled the organization after Silicon Valley business incubators.
Adams provided the initial funding for Elite Daily, a news site targeted at millennials, which he co-founded with his interns David Arabov and Jonathan Francis. By the end of 2013, the company earned $400,000 in profit and averaged 41 million readers monthly. In 2015, Adams, along with his co-founders, sold Elite Daily to DMG Media, which also owns the British Tabloid, The Daily Mail, for $50 million. Elite Daily was later sold by DMG to another holding company, Bustle Digital Group.
- "Gomes Group, Fownders, building out Newark's emerging silicon city". Jersey Digs. https://jerseydigs.com/gomes-group-fownders-building-out-newarks-emerging-silicon-city/. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Millennial Mentor Gerard Adams Dishes on Rise to Top at TEDx NJIT". Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/millennial-mentor-gerard-adams-dishes-on-rise-to-top_us_57ed352ee4b0972364dead38. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- "Meet the Millennial HuffPo". Digiday. http://digiday.com/publishers/meet-the-millennial-huffpo/. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "How Elite Daily's 20-something founders sold their startup to Daily Mail for ~ $50 Million in cash". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/how-elite-daily-sold-for-40-50-million-to-daily-mail-2015-1. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Elite Daily, Content Farm Or Groundbreaking Site For Upwardly Mobile Youngsters? You Decide". TechCrunch. https://techcrunch.com/2013/09/05/elite-daily-take-two/. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Adams, Gerard. "Gerard Adams". https://www.entrepreneur.com/author/gerard-adams.
- "With Fownders, Newark tech star Gerard Adams brings startup aspirations to the neighborhood". Brick City Live. http://brickcitylive.com/tech/andaiye/with-fownders-newark-tech-star-gerard-adams-brings-startup-aspirations-to-the-neighborhood/. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Fownders: an accelerator for entrepreneurs by entrepreneurs". NJ Tech Weekly. http://njtechweekly.com/art/3136-fownders-an-accelerator-for-entrepreneurs-by-entrepreneurs/. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Gerard Adams". The Marilu Henner Show. http://www.marilushow.com/?cat=2&paged=2. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- Strunsky, Steve. "Q&A: Why a tech millionaire built his incubator in Newark", NJ Advance Media for NJ.com, November 27, 2016. Accessed February 21, 2018. "Adams is a 31-year-old Belleville High School grad and Caldwell University dropout, whose father grew up in Newark and worked as a manager at Prudential."
- "Elite Daily Co-Founder Gerard Adams". Official Be You. Archived from the original on February 4, 2016. https://web.archive.org/web/20160204053514/http://officialbeyou.com/2015/08/gerardadams/. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Gerard Adams: Episode 278". Farnoosh. http://podcast.farnoosh.tv/2015/10/gerard-adams/. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "NIA President: Beware of National Food Inflation". Fox Business News. http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/4416855/nia-president-beware-of-massive-food-inflation/#sp=show-clips. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Buy Lohan, Sell High". The Slate. http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2011/07/buy_lohan_sell_high.html. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Gerard Adams Joins the Real-Time Academy". Shorty Awards. http://blog.shortyawards.com/post/136826034897/gerard-adams-joins-the-real-time-academy. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Real Leaders Create other Leaders". Inc. Magazine. http://www.inc.com/molly-reynolds/real-leaders-create-other-leaders.html. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Elite Daily Raises 15 million and has 40 Million Uniques". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/elite-daily-raises-15-million-and-has-40-million-uniques-2014-6. Retrieved 29 January 2016.