- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on August 11 2015. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Haredi_education. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Haredi_education, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Haredi_education.
oooh, orphan Haredi education (Hebrew: חינוך חרדי, Chinuch Charedi) are the traditions and norms of educating children in Haredi schools and institutions. Also referred to as ultra-Orthodox or strictly Orthodox, each institution tends to be aligned with particular hasidic sect, Lithuanian tradition or collective set of religious values.
Education in the Haredi community is strictly segregated by sex. The education for boys is primarily focused on the study of Jewish scriptures, such as the Torah and Talmud, while girls obtain studies both in Jewish education as well as broader secular subjects.
In countries with large Haredi populations, including Israel, the US, Canada, the UK and Belgium, there are ongoing tensions between Haredi schools and the demands by government bodies to comply with education requirements of teaching core subjects. A broad based education is seen as necessary in alleviating poverty in the Haredi community, who are large recipients of government welfare.
Structure of education by sex
Under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child: Article 28(3): Parties shall promote and encourage international cooperation in matters relating to education, in particular with a view to contributing to the elimination of ignorance and illiteracy throughout the world and facilitating access to scientific and technical knowledge and modern teaching methods.
The UN Convention against Discrimination in Education: Article 5(1)(ii): The right of national minorities to carry on their own educational activities, is subject to the provision that standard of education is not lower than the general standard laid down or approved by the competent authorities.
In the U.S. students who graduate from Haredi schools are often well versed in Talmud, Chassidic philosophy, and Jewish law, areas that the schools focus on, particularly for boys. However, coverage of secular subjects such as mathematics, science and social science, as well as English is often lacking. YAFFED, (Young Advocates for Fair Education) is a non-profit organization started by Naftuli Moster to ensure that Jewish students at religious schools receive the education they need to be productive and employable. 
In November 2014 Yohanen Lowen claimed in a lawsuit that the Hasidic schools he attended focused on teaching Torah and as a result he did not receive the required education in secular subjects sufficient to allow him to be employed. He has sued the government of Quebec for failing to assure the legally required education.
- "Special Education Instruction in the Jewish Ultra Orthodox and Hassidic Communities in Toronto". Tspace.library.utoronto.ca. https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/bitstream/1807/33934/6/Benayon_Marcus_201211_PhD_thesis.pdf. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Israel: Selected Issues Paper; IMF Country Report 12/71; March 9, 2012" (PDF). http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/scr/2012/cr1271.pdf. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Liphshiz, Cnaan (2013-08-20). "Belgium's defiant Haredi schools may be shuttered". The Times of Israel. http://www.timesofisrael.com/belgiums-defiant-haredi-schools-may-be-shuttered/. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Sharon, Jeremy. "Shteinman: No secular studies in haredi education | JPost | Israel News". JPost. http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/Shteinman-No-secular-studies-in-haredi-education-312302. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "MJB Data Snapshot". Brookdale.jdc.org.il. http://brookdale.jdc.org.il/_Uploads/dbsAttachedFiles/MJB-Data-Snapshot-Economic-and-Educational-Opps-Haredim--May-13.pdf. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Devichand, Mukul (2010-11-25). "BBC News - Benefit cuts 'to hit orthodox Jewish community'". Bbc.co.uk. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11823332. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Hasidic Enclave Is America’s Poorest City". Tabletmag.com. http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/65713/kiryas-joel. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Miller, Jennifer 'Yiddish Isn’t Enough: A Yeshiva Graduate Fights for Secular Studies in Hasidic Education' (Nov 21,2014) The New York Times"http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/nyregion/a-yeshiva-graduate-fights-for-secular-studies-in-hasidic-education.html
- "'Former Hasidic Jew sues the province for getting a poor education' (Nov 8, 2014) CBC News" http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/former-hasidic-jew-sues-the-province-for-getting-a-poor-education-1.2839831