- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on April 12 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Matthew_Newbury. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Matthew_Newbury, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Matthew_Newbury.
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (January 2012)
Newbury outside one of his building sites
22 May 1981|
|Occupation||Property developer, investor, theatre producer|
|Net worth||£9 million|
Matthew Newbury (born 22 May 1981) is a London-based property developer who, in 2011, was the first person in Britain to be fitted with a bionic leg. Newbury's business interests include a failed theatre production company .
At a young age Newbury was working as a volunteer at the Norwich Playhouse, as well as spending the weekends travelling back and forth to London. He wanted to work in technical theatre, specifically in the West End.
In 1997, whilst travelling back from London he was involved in a serious road traffic accident in which he lost his left leg above the knee. He spent 18 months in various hospitals recovering. He moved to London in 2001 to work in professional theatre in the West End.
In 2003, Newbury received £2.1m as compensation for his injuries, plus a further award to provide for his accommodation needs.
Newbury set up a home building company, Newbury Developments and one of its projects was the construction of housing in Newbury's home town of Norwich. Newbury's other businesses include a failed theatre production company.
He is featured in the Sunday Times Rich List 2012 (60 Richest Young People) with a net worth of £9 million.
In 2011, Newbury was the first person in the UK to be fitted with a groundbreaking new bionic prosthetic leg, Genium. It is claimed the leg cost him around £50,000. The leg allowed Newbury to ride a bicycle, ski and climb the stairs normally. The leg's technology led to Newbury being labelled the UK's first bionic man.
The Secret Millionaire
- "Norfolk-born property developer's dramatic career change". Eastern Daily Press. 14 September 2011. http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/norfolk_born_property_developer_s_dramatic_career_change_1_1021598.
- "Amputee is first Brit to be fitted with new bionic leg". The Daily Telegraph. 9 November 2011. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8878357/Amputee-is-first-Brit-to-be-fitted-with-new-bionic-leg.html.
- "Career Change: Financial Planner and a Millionaire Property Developer". Career Change Journal. 15 September 2011. http://careerchangejournal.com/504/career-change-financial-planner-and-a-millionaire-property-developer/.
- "Companies House". Government of the United Kingdom. 12 March 2017. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07785102.
- "Technician awarded £2.1m to compensate for lost leg". The Stage News. 10 February 2004. http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/512/technician-awarded-21m-to-compensate-for.
- "Revolutionary new bionic leg for amputee Matthew". The Press and Journal. 10 November 2011. http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2512644.
- "The bionic leg that gave my life a lift: Amputee fitted with limb that lets him cycle, walk backwards and even go skiing". Daily Mail. 10 November 2011. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2059303/Amputee-Michael-Newbury-fitted-Genium-bionic-limb.html.
- "Bionic leg for road crash amputee". The Press Association. 9 November 2011. http://www.pressassociation.com/component/pafeeds/2011/11/09/bionic_leg_for_road_crash_amputee?camefrom=regional.
- "Property developer pioneers bionic leg". The Guardian. 9 November 2011. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/nov/09/bionic-leg-pioneer-first-briton?newsfeed=true.
- "A new build". Small Business. 26 July 2011. http://www.smallbusiness.co.uk/channels/start-a-business/dont-miss/1643413/a-new-build.thtml.
- "The Sunday Times Rich List 2012". The Sunday Times. 29 April 2012. (#29 of 60)
- "Matthew Newbury First UK Patient with Latest Bionic Leg Prosthetic System". Top News, New Zealand. 10 November 2011. http://topnews.net.nz/content/220143-matthew-newbury-first-uk-patient-latest-bionic-leg-prosthetic-system.
- "Amputee becomes first person to be fitted with bionic leg". The Metro. 9 November 2011. http://www.metro.co.uk/news/881234-amputee-becomes-first-person-in-britain-to-be-fitted-with-bionic-leg.
- "One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for the Future of Prosthetics". iStock Analyst. 9 November 2011. http://www.istockanalyst.com/business/news/5531361/one-small-step-for-man-one-giant-leap-for-the-future-of-prosthetics.
- "Bionic leg for road crash amputee". MSN News. 9 November 2011. http://news.uk.msn.com/health/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=159728594.
- "First UK clinic to fit the new Genium Knee". Proactive Prosthetics. 9 November 2011. http://www.proactiveprosthetics.co.uk/blog/2011/11/09/proactive-prosthetics-first-uk-clinic-to-fit-the-new-otto-bock-genium-knee/.
- "Londoner becomes UK's first real 'bionic man'". London24. 10 November 2011. http://www.london24.com/news/londoner_becomes_uk_s_first_real_bionic_man_1_1122275.