- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on August 12 2015. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Nikole_Hannah-Jones. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Nikole_Hannah-Jones, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Nikole_Hannah-Jones.
|Alma mater||UNC Chapel Hill|
|Occupation||Journalist, writer, media personality|
Tobenkin Award from Columbia University, 2012|
Excellence in Journalism Award, 3x
Innovation in Watchdog Journalism (Gannett)
Journalist of the Year (NABJ) 2015
National Magazine Award (2015) nomination
Fred M. Hechinger Grand Prize (Distinguished Education Reporting) 2015
Nikole Hannah-Jones is an African American investigative journalist notable for her coverage of civil rights in the United States. She is recognized as an authority on topics such as resegregation in American schools and housing discrimination, and has spoken about these issues on national public radio broadcasts. She wrote for many publications including The Atlantic, Mother Jones, ProPublica, The New York Times and New York magazine. Her reporting has won numerous awards. Her stories have been quoted in numerous other publications as being particularly important regarding race relations. She reported how the school district, where teenager Michael Brown had been shot, was one of the "most segregated, impoverished districts in the entire state" of Missouri. Reviewer Laura Moser of Slate magazine praised her report on school resegregation which showed how educational inequality may have been a factor in the unfortunate death of Brown.
Hannah-Jones grew up in Waterloo, Iowa and graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She wrote for The Oregonian and the Raleigh News & Observer. She joined the nonprofit news source ProPublica in 2011 to cover civil rights.
- Staff writers, ProPublica, Propublica.org Nikole Hannah-Jones, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "....Nikole Hannah-Jones joined ProPublica in late 2011 and covered civil rights ... won several awards, ... Columbia University’s Tobenkin Award for distinguished coverage of racial or religious discrimination. ... worked at The Oregonian and The News & Observer in Raleigh, N.C....Excellence in Journalism Award three times ... Gannett Foundation Award for Innovation in Watchdog Journalism....."
- Note: Society of Professional Journalists Pacific Northwest; she won this three times
- Turner, April (23 April 2015). "Nikole Hannah-Jones Named NABJ 2015 Journalist of the Year". National Association of Black Journalists. http://www.nabj.org/news/228086/Nikole-Hannah-Jones-Named-NABJ-2015-Journalist-of-the-Year.htm. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Note: American Society of Magazine Editors in the Public Interest category
- Nikole Hannah-Jones, February 27, 2015, Grist, Gentrification doesn't fix inner-city schools, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...Nikole Hannah-Jones... nominated for a 2015 National Magazine Award by the American Society of Magazine Editors in the Public Interest category. ..."
- Mark Walsh, April 21, 2015 , Edweek, ProPublica Report on Resegregation Takes Top Education Writers' Award, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...Nikole Hannah-Jones, a reporter with the nonprofit journalism organization ProPublica, won the Education Writers Association's top award ... examination of the persistence of racial segregation in U.S. schools. Hannah-Jones won the Fred M. Hechinger Grand Prize for Distinguished Education Reporting at EWA's national conference in Chicago..."
- Tony Wan, April 22, 2015, EdSurge.com, What Education Writers Are Reporting On, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...The winner of the EWA’s 2014 Fred M. Hechinger Grand Prize for Distinguished Education Reporting ... Nikole Hannah-Jones of ProPublica ..."
- JUNE 4, 2015, Kansas City News, TEDxKC tickets go on sale today, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...Nikole Hannah-Jones, a New York Times Magazine columnist and author whose coverage of civil rights and segregation in housing and schools has won several awards..."
- Rebecca Griesbach, July 25, 2015, Tuscaloosa News, GUEST COLUMNIST: Young people can’t wait on change, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...Hannah-Jones, who covers race-related issues across the country, set out to uncover the root of this problem. ..."
- JUNE 25, 2015, BILL CHAPPELL, NPR, In Fair Housing Act Case, Supreme Court Backs 'Disparate Impact' Claims, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...The Fair Housing Act ... put under new focus back in 2013, when journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones dove into the issue for ProPublica..."
- Gene Demby, December 2, 2013, NPR, A Battle For Fair Housing Still Raging, But Mostly Forgotten, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "... consequences of our country's long, sordid history of housing discrimination ... Nikole Hannah-Jones, the ProPublica reporter on whose reporting much of the episode was based..."
- Marcus E. Howard, Star Tribune, AUGUST 8, 2015, Minnesota's achievement gap debated at NABJ conference: National black journalists’ group tackles issues of education, desegregation, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...Hannah-Jones, who won accolades for a story on the resurgence of school segregation, said research suggests black students perform best in racially integrated settings..."
- The Atlantic
- Nikole Hannah-Jones, October 29, 2012, Mother Jones, Living Apart: How the Government Betrayed a Landmark Civil Rights Law -- In the early 1900s, African Americans abandoned the South for better lives in the North. Discriminatory landlords and government policies crowded them into ghettos, transforming the demographics of America’s largest cities, Retrieved August 15, 2015
- Staff writers, April 6, 2015, Cision.com, New York Times Magazine Adds Nikole Hannah-Jones, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "....Nikole Hannah-Jones has been named a staff writer for The New York Times Magazine. She is currently an investigative reporter for Pro-Publica where she covers civil rights and race stories...."
- Nikole Hannah-Jones, July 31, 2015, The New York Times, The Continuing Reality of Segregated Schools
- January 21, 2015, University of Alabama News, UA UnlockED Offers Forum on Race in Public Schools With Noted Journalist, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...award-winning journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones...."
- THE EDITORIAL BOARD, MAY 16, 2015, The New York Times, Housing Apartheid, American Style, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...As Nikole Hannah-Jones reported in a 2012 investigation for ProPublica, ..."
- August 11, 2015, PBS News Hour, Why school districts like Michael Brown’s have suffered ‘rapid resegregation’, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...NIKOLE HANNAH-JONES, ... Well, the thing that strikes you most is, this is the most segregated, impoverished districts in the entire state...."
- August 14, 2015, Al-Jazeera via Yahoo! News, Race in the US: Know your history, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "... but American public schools in most areas are more segregated than ever, as Nikole Hannah-Jones..."
- Libby Nelson, August 3, 2015, VOX News, This American Life explains why school segregation still exists — and is so hard to change, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...The most powerful section in Hannah-Jones's report is from a meeting in Francis Howell...."
- Staff writers, August 5, 2015, Yes Magazine, The Weekly Crunch: Zero-Waste Grocery Stores, Black Women's Business Boom, Robocops for Cyber-Bullies, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...Fixing schools through desegregation ...This American Life's Ira Glass talks to New York Times Magazine reporter Nikole Hannah-Jones about an obvious one that works: real desegregation...."
- Laura Moser, August 4, 2015, Slate magazine, There’s Another Racist Tragedy in St. Louis That Nobody Talks About, Retrieved August 15, 2015, "...If you listen to just one piece of media this week, let it be Nikole Hannah-Jones’ This American Life ... Hannah-Jones identifies school segregation as the primary source of educational inequality...."