Richard Thomas (author)
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on February 24 2015. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Richard_Thomas_(author). All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Richard_Thomas_(author), the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Richard_Thomas_(author).
Richard Thomas (born November 21, 1967) is an American author. His focus is on neo-noir fiction, typically including elements of violence, mental instability, breaks in reality, and tragedies. His work is rich in setting and sensory details, and often has a sexual element to it. It has also been called transgressive and grotesque. He is also Editor-in-Chief at Dark House Press.
Thomas was born in St. Louis, Missouri, and grew up in Webster Groves. He earned a Bachelor of Science at Bradley University, in Peoria, Illinois, and in 2012 an MFA at Murray State University. He currently lives in Chicago.
In addition to his fiction he writes a Storyville column at LitReactor.com, book reviews for The Nervous Breakdown, and articles for BuzzFeed and Flavorwire. He has taught creative writing at the Iowa Summer Writing Festival, Story Studio Chicago, and LitReactor.com.
Novels and short story collections
- Tribulations: Stories (2016, TBA)
- The Breaker (Random House Alibi) December 2015
- The Soul Standard (Dzanc Books) with Caleb J. Ross, Nik Korpon, and Axel Taiari, August 2015
- Disintegration (Random House Alibi) May 2015 
- Staring Into the Abyss: Stories (Kraken Press) April 2013
- Herniated Roots: Stories (Snubnose Press) September 2012
- Transubstantiate (Otherworld Publications, 2010)
- "Chasing Ghosts" (in Cemetery Dance #72, January 2015)
Nominations, awards and contests
- Bram Stoker Awards, 2014: nominated for Best Anthology—Burnt Tongues, Medallion Press (Co-Editor) and Qualia Nous, Written Backwards ("Jenny Store"); nominated for Best Short Story Collection: After the People Lights Have Gone Off by Stephen Graham Jones, Dark House Press (Publisher); nominated for Non-Fiction: Horror 101: The Way Forward, Crystal Lake Publishing ("The Journey: Rudy Jenkins Buries His Fears").
- This is Horror, 2014: Winner for Best Anthology—Burnt Tongues, Medallion Press (Co-Editor); Winner for Best Short Story Collection: After the People Lights Have Gone Off by Stephen Graham Jones, Dark House Press (Publisher).
- Winner, "Enter the World of Filaria" contest, at ChiZine for "Maker of Flight." 
- seanofthedead (March 5, 2013). "Book Review: Staring Into the Abyss – Author Richard Thomas". http://horrornews.net/67949/book-review-staring-into-the-abyss-author-richard-thomas/.
- Chavez, Danette (May 27, 2014). "Dark House Press Bets on 'The New Black'". http://gapersblock.com/bookclub/2014/05/27/this_thursday_take_noir_for_an_answer/.
- Barone, Matt (July 4, 2014). "Permanent Midnight: The Year's Best Genre Fiction Books (So Far)". http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/07/best-genre-fiction-books-2014-so-far/. "The New Black is the hands-down best new short story collection I've read since 2008's Poe's Children."
- "Chuck Palahnuik Throws Caution To The Wind With His New Anthology, Burnt Tongues" (Press release). April 8, 2014. http://www.booktrade.info/index.php/showarticle/53336.
- Lockley, Craig (October 14, 2013). "Staring Into The Abyss by Richard Thomas. Book review". The British Fantasy Society. http://www.britishfantasysociety.org/reviews/staring-into-the-abyss-by-richard-thomas-book-review/.
- Buchan, P. M. (March 8, 2013). "Book Review: Staring Into the Abyss". http://www.starburstmagazine.com/reviews/book-reviews-latest-literary-releases/4740-book-reviewstaring-into-the-abyss.
- Skelhorn, Barry (February 16, 2013). "Kraken Press Announces 'Staring into the Abyss', by Richard Thomas". http://sanitariummagazine.com/staring-into-the-abyss-by-richard-thomas-announcment/.
- "Final Ballot for Bram Stoker Awards 2014". Horror Writers Association. February 23, 2015. http://horror.org/final-ballot-bram-stoker-awards/.
- "This Is Horror Awards 2014: Winners". February 24, 2015. http://www.thisishorror.co.uk/this-is-horror-awards-2014-winners/.