- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on July 27 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Sushma_Berlia. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Sushma_Berlia, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Sushma_Berlia.
File:File:Sushma Berlia, President, Apeejay Stya & Svran Group, talking about the need for eduction in India (14327909870).jpg|
Berlia (2nd from left) talking at education event
|Education||Lady Shri Ram College for Women|
|Alma mater||University of Delhi|
|Employer||Apeejay Stya & Svran|
|Organization||Apeejay Education Society, Apeejay Stya University|
Sushma Berlia (born 1960) is an Indian business executive . She is currently president of the Apeejay Stya & Svran Group, a conglomerate active in diverse industries. She is also vice president of Apeejay Education Society. Elected president of the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI) in 2006, she was Chancellor of Apeejay Stya University by 2012.
Early life and education
Sushma Berlia was born in 1960. She completed her schooling at the Convent of Jesus and Mary, Shimla & Delhi, and graduated from Lady Shri Ram College for Women in New Delhi. She earned her Master’s in business economics at the University of Delhi. Her father, Stya Paul, was chairman emeritus of the Apeejay Stya Group.
Berlia entered into business and industry in 1989, when she took over the family business. By 2005, Apeejay Stya & Svran Group was active in industries such as life science, education, IT, trading, real estate, chemicals, plastics, and retail. As of 2009, the Appejay Stya Group had expanded to have interests in the middle east, Europe, and east Asia, with a focus on pharmaceuticals, education, and real estate.
As of 2005, she was serving as the vice president of Apeejay Education Society. The organization runs schools in north India, as well as college institutions and business schools. She was also the founding chairperson of the Business Women's Committee as of 2005. She was elected president of the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI) for 2006, with The Hindu Business Line writing that the development was "what may be for the first time that a woman is heading an apex chamber in the country."
By that time, the International Chamber of Commerce had elected Berlia to represent India at the Commission of Biotech Society. The Organisation of Pharmaceutical Producers of India (OPPI) had also selected her to represent them at the Internet Task Force of the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations (IFPMA). She was Chancellor of Apeejay Stya University by 2012.
- 2008: PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry - Outstanding Businesswoman Award
- 2012: Honored for "Outstanding contribution to academia and industry" by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII)
- 2013: Recognition for "Outstanding Contribution to Education" by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)
Berlia and her husband Vijay Kumar Berlia have three children together.
- "Sushma Berlia elected president of PHDCCI". The Hindu Business Line. 24 December 2005. http://www.thehindubusinessline.in/bline/2005/12/25/stories/2005122502250200.htm. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "CII felicitates leading woman entrepreneur Sushma Berlia". Indo Asian News Service. Yahoo!. 8 November 2012. http://in.news.yahoo.com/cii-felicitates-leading-woman-entrepreneur-sushma-berlia-151003604--finance.html. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- Chandan, Malvika (15 January 2009). "‘I succeeded because I pursued my dreams’". The Financial Express. http://www.financialexpress.com/news/i-succeeded-because-i-pursued-my-dreams/410866/0. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Mrs. SUSHMA BERLIA (Chairperson, ASERF)". Apeejay Stya Education Research Foundation. http://www.aserf.org.in/sushma_berlia.html.
- Duttagupta, Ishani; Dhall, Aman (7 March 2010). "Women no longer shying away from serious biz roles". Indiatimes. http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/features/special-report/women-no-longer-shying-away-from-serious-biz-roles/articleshow/5652852.cms/. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Two Day Summit". ‘’Times of India’’. November 25, 2013. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-11-25/news/44448854_1_two-day-summit-india-vision-ficci-higher-education-summit. Template:Dead link