- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on January 3 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Village_Ventures. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Village_Ventures, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Village_Ventures.
Village Ventures is an American private equity investment firm focusing on seed and early-stage venture capital investments. The firm operates in various regions throughout the United States and focuses on two basic sectors: media and financial services. The firm is based in Williamstown, Massachusetts and was founded in 1999 by Williams College alumni Bo Peabody and Matt C. Harris. Peabody is known as the founder of Tripod.com, one of the earliest dot-com companies.
Village Ventures operates as a national network of more than a dozen early-stage venture capital funds in various markets with limited venture capital presence. Among its partner funds are Point Judith Capital, Berkshires Capital Investors, Long River Ventures, Borealis Ventures, FreshTracks Capital, Solstice Capital, High Peaks Venture Partners, Spring Mill Venture Partners, Highway 12 Ventures, Swarraton Partners, Inflexion Partners and Tall Oaks Capital. Early backers of the firm included Bain Capital, Highland Capital Partners, Janus Capital Group, and Sandler Capital Management along with Williams College.[no citations needed here]
Some of the firm's notable investments include:
- Health Guru Media
- Babble.com (Later acquired by Disney, defunct in 2019.)
- Narragansett Brewing Company
- Ello (social network)
- Chambers and Partners
- Streetmail, later Everyday Health
- "Bo Peabody Author Bookshelf". Random House, Inc.. http://www.randomhouse.com/author/58873/bo-peabody. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- "Village Ventures to wind down", by Galen Moore, February 15, 2012. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Cure for the Credit Crunch?
- Village Ventures brings innovation to venture capital
- TopTenReviews raises $6 million for shopping comparisons
- New loan option helps good biz grow
- Village Ventures (company website)