2019 Hauz Qazi clash
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on July 2 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2019_Hauz_Qazi_clash. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2019_Hauz_Qazi_clash, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2019_Hauz_Qazi_clash.
In June–July 2019, a quarrel over parking escalated in the communal clashes in the Hauz Qazi area of Chandni Chowk, Delhi, India. A temple was damaged and a police case was registered. The local Aman Committee declared that the Muslim community will help rebuild the temple.
The dispute begun over the parking issue at 10:00 pm on 30 June 2019, which later turned into the communal clash.
A fruit vendor got into a disagreement with a local resident over parking of the latter's motorcycle outside his house. According to the vendor's wife, her husband was threatened and was subsequently assaulted in his home by a group of youths.
The police from Hauz Qazi police station detained both, who registered First Information Reports (FIRs) against each other. Around 200 people gathered at the police station after rumours floated that the motorcycle owner had died went viral on WhatsApp.The group attacked and vandalised a Durga temple; on 1 July, there were protests and stone pelting, during which "a Navbharat Times photographer on the scene was attacked".
Shops around Lal Kuan were shut down, and police restricted access to the temple. Police also restricted the entry of outsiders into the area from Chandni Chowk and Chawri Bazar. Several companies from Delhi Police and Central Reserve Police Force were deployed to the area to maintain peace. The police had called the religious leaders from both communities to defuse the situation.
Delhi Police arrested three who were accused of involvement in the temple attack on 2 July 2019. The Aman Committee of the locality resolved the matter by declaring that the Muslim community will help rebuild the temple.
On 3rd July 2019, a Public Interest Litigation was filed in Delhi court which sought for the constitution of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) under Court-monitoring, to investigate the attack.
The imam of Old Delhi’s Fatehpuri mosque, Mufti Mukarram, called upon Muslims and the members of the Residents’ Welfare Association to compensate the temple for the losses and asked to maintain peace. On 2 July 2019, Indian Parliamentarian from Chandni Chowk and Union minister Harsh Vardhan visited the temple and requested people to maintain peace and harmony.
- Mamtany, Sidhant (2019-07-01). "100-year-old Chandni Chowk temple vandalised; What we know so far" (in en). https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/india-chandni-chowk-temple-vandalised-communal-violence-what-we-know-so-far-531800.
- DelhiJuly 1, Press Trust of India New; July 1, 2019UPDATED:; Ist, 2019 20:38. "Temple vandalised, old Delhi tense after clashes" (in en). https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/old-delhi-hauz-qazi-temple-vandalised-1559929-2019-07-01.
- Jul 2, Somreet Bhattacharya | TNN | Updated:; 2019; Ist, 11:08. "Delhi: Hauz Qazi tense after communal clashes | Delhi News - Times of India" (in en). https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/hauz-qazi-tense-after-communal-clashes/articleshow/70031895.cms.
- "Hauz Qazi clashes: 3 arrested, MP Harsh Vardhan appeals for harmony". 2019-07-02. https://www.asianage.com/india/all-india/020719/hauz-qazi-clashes-3-arrested-mp-harsh-vardhan-appeals-for-harmony.html.
- न्यूज़, एबीपी (2 July 2019). "दिल्ली: मंदिर में तोड़फोड़ का मामला सुलझा, अमन कमेटी की बैठक में हुआ तय- मुस्लिम वर्ग बनाएगा मंदिर" (in hi). abpnews.abplive.in. https://abpnews.abplive.in/india-news/hauz-qazi-temple-vandalised-aman-committee-says-we-will-help-in-rebuilding-the-temple-1159006. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- "दिल्ली उच्च न्यायालय में मंदिर हमले की निगरानी जांच के लिए याचिका" (in en). 2019-07-03. https://hindi.thequint.com/hot-news/dillii-ucc-nyaayaaly-men-mndir-hmle-kii-nigraanii-jaanc-ke-lie-yaacikaa.
- ANI (2019-07-03). "PIL in Delhi court seeking SIT probe in Chandni Chowk temple desecration". Business Standard India. https://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/pil-in-delhi-court-seeking-sit-probe-in-chandni-chowk-temple-desecration-119070300403_1.html.
- Staff, Scroll. "‘Vandalising temple condemnable, urge Muslims to help rebuild it’: Shahi Imam of Old Delhi mosque" (in en-US). https://scroll.in/video/929126/vandalising-temple-condemnable-urge-muslims-to-help-rebuild-it-shahi-imam-of-old-delhi-mosque.
- "Harsh Vardhan visits vandalised temple in Delhi, appeals residents to maintain harmony | Latest News & Updates at DNAIndia.com" (in en). https://www.dnaindia.com/india/video-harsh-vardhan-visits-vandalised-temple-in-delhi-appeals-residents-to-maintain-harmony-2767351.
- "Hauz Qazi clashes: 3 arrested for vandalising temple; Harsh Vardhan calls act ‘unforgivable’, appeals people to maintain harmony in area". https://www.firstpost.com/india/hauz-qazi-clashes-3-arrested-for-vandalising-temple-harsh-vardhan-calls-act-unforgivable-appeals-people-to-maintain-harmony-in-area-6917161.html.