- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on May 29 2020. This is a backup of Wikipedia:2D_Con. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2D_Con, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/2D_Con.
2D Con is a charity event and raises money for various charitable organizations during the course of the event. Over the years 2D Con has raised over $30,000 for various charitable organizations.
The convention has a large focus on inclusivity and positivity in the gaming community and features many topics regarding representation in video games.
2D Con was first hosted in May 2015 as a free to attend video gaming event with the goal of becoming the first large scale video gaming event in Minnesota. The organizers have stated that 2D Con was started to have a place where people can be comfortable being themselves and to raise money for those in need.
The second 2D Con was held from June 3–5, 2016. The event was scheduled to be held at the Thunderbird motel in Bloomington, MN. With less than a months notice the venue was sold and scheduled to be demolished leaving the organizers without a venue.
2D Con announced that a new venue was found at the Doubletree Hotel in Bloomington, and that the dates would remain unchanged.
The event remained at the Doubletree until 2019 when it moved to the Hyatt Regency in downtown Minneapolis. In 2019 2D Con had 2500 unique attendees. The 2019 event was featured in the August issue of City Pages magazine as a top event in the Twin Cities.
Game Informer has hosted their replay live show at 2D Con.
Indie Game Showcase
2D Con has a large focus on independent game development and features a space dedicated to testing upcoming games by local developers. During the event attendees are encouraged to play the games and give feedback to the developers. Attendees may also choose to vote for their favorite games in a variety of categories.
|2016||Fingeance||Escape Industries||Best Gameplay|
|2016||Joggernauts||Space Mace LLC||Game of the Show, Best Musical Score|
|2016||Pinbrawl||Northern Heart||Best Artwork/Visuals|
|2017||Pinbrawl||Northern Heart||Best Gameplay, Best Multiplayer|
|2017||Verdant Skies||Howling Moon Software||Best Artwork/Visuals|
|2017||Newt One||DevNAri||Best Gameplay, Best Musical Score, Best Singleplayer, Game of the Show|
|2018||Treasure Stack||PIXELakes||Best Gameplay|
|2018||Verdant Skies||Howling Moon Software||Best Single Player|
|2018||Newt One||DevNAri||Best Musical Score|
|2018||The Moon Fields||Lunar Signals||Best Multiplayer, Best Artwork/Visuals, Game of the Show|
|2019||Cricket: From the Stars||Superbeefy Software||Best Single Player|
|2019||Astral Gunners||Sati Bros||Best Musical Score|
|2019||Elemetals||Wallride Games||Best Artwork, Best Multiplayer|
|2019||Galactic Battleground||Slackerz Inc||Best Gameplay, Game of the Show|
Andrew Reiner, Chris Kluwe, I Fight Dragons
|2018||Doubletree, Bloomington||2000||Taylor Davis|
|2019||Hyatt Regency, Minneapolis||2500||
- "2D Con" (in en-US). 2016-06-01. http://365twincities.com/2d-con/.
- "Thunderbird" Hotel to be Torn Down - Nerd and Tie Retrieved March 24, 2016
- Minnesota State Fair, makers on the North Side, 2D Con - City Pages Retrieved August 21st, 2019
- Reiner, Andrew. "Party With Game Informer At 2D Con This Weekend" (in en). https://www.gameinformer.com/index.php/b/news/archive/2017/08/07/party-with-game-informer-at-2d-con-this-weekend.aspx.
- "Indie Island & Tabletop Terrace" (in en-US). https://www.2dcon.net/indie-island/.