Black Jesus + Amen Fashion
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on April 3 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Black_Jesus_+_Amen_Fashion. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Black_Jesus_+_Amen_Fashion, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Black_Jesus_+_Amen_Fashion.
"Black Jesus + Amen Fashion" (stylized as Black Jesus † Amen Fashion) is a song by American recording artist Lady Gaga from the special edition of her second studio album, Born This Way (2011). Upon the release of the album, "Black Jesus + Amen Fashion" debuted at number 172 on the UK Singles Chart on June 4, 2011, and on the Spanish Singles Chart at number 22 on September 9, 2011. According to Gaga, the song's lyrics speak about how she had an entirely new way of thinking after she moved to downtown New York when she was 19.
Background and recording
"Black Jesus + Amen Fashion" was written and co-produced by Lady Gaga and DJ White Shadow. Gaga explained that the lyrics are "a representation of an entirely new way of living" based on her "eye-opening" experiences living in New York City. She added, "It's all about saying a new way of thinking is as easy as putting on an outfit."
In "The Ultimate Ranking of Lady Gaga's Catalog", Rolling Stone called the song a "rather dull paean to New York City and high fashion, with religious references guaranteed to raise eyebrows and hackles".
Credits and personnel
- Lady Gaga - vocals, songwriter, producer, keyboards
- DJ White Shadow - songwriter, producer, programming, keyboards
- Brian Gaynor - programming, bass, drums, keyboards, guitars, percussion
- Dave Russell - recording at Setai Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida; audio mixing at The Mix Room, Burbank, California
- Gene Grimaldi - audio mastering at Oasis Mastering, Burbank, California
- Paul Pavao - assistant
Credits adapted from the special edition liner notes of Born This Way.
Upon the release of the album, "Black Jesus + Amen Fashion" debuted at number 172 on the UK Singles Chart on June 4, 2011. On September 9, 2011, the song peaked on the Spanish Singles Chart for one week at number 22.
|South Korea (Gaon Download Chart)||137|
|UK Singles Chart (Official Charts Company)||172|
- "ACE Title Search (Black Jesus + Amen Fashion, Lady gaga)". American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers. http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=883032216&search_in=i&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=25&start=1. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
- Serpe, Gina (May 7, 2011). "Lady Gaga Uncut: 'I'm Really Delusional About My Success'". E!. NBCUniversal. http://www.eonline.com/news/lady_gaga_uncut_im_really_delusional/240613. Retrieved May 20, 2012.
- "Lady Gaga Debuts Born This Way Ball in South Korea". Rolling Stone. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lady-gaga-debuts-born-this-way-ball-in-south-korea-20120427. Retrieved 2012-06-23.
- Template:Cite AV media notes
- "UK Singles Chart Top 200". ChartsPlus (London: Milton Keynes) (511). 2011-06-05. Template:Subscription required
- "Lady Gaga - Black Jesus † Amen Fashion (song)". spanishcharts.com. Hung Medien. September 9, 2011. http://spanishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Lady+GaGa&titel=Black+Jesus+%86+Amen+Fashion&cat=s. Retrieved May 18, 2012.
- "Gaon Download Chart". Gaon Chart. http://gaonchart.co.kr/digital_chart/index.php?nationGbn=E¤t_week=23¤t_year=2011&chart_Time=week. Retrieved April 8, 2013.