- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on April 2 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Camarillo_Classic. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Camarillo_Classic, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Camarillo_Classic.
The Camarillo Classic is a high school track and field invitational (1995–present ). Held on the third weekend of March, this meet includes many of California's premier runners and teams, and takes place in the James Ackerman Stadium of Adolfo Camarillo High School. Featuring both distance relays and individual events, this two day invitational occasionally holds a special invite-only race when an elite field of runners has been assembled. Notable athletes such as Jordan Hasay have had record-breaking performances at the Camarillo Classic. This is a well-known meet in early season CA track and field.
The Camarillo Classic consists of the Camarillo Distance Classic Relays on Friday night and the standard events on Saturday. Added in 2003, the distance carnival on Friday night has grown in popularity and competitiveness. The distance relays attract many top teams from Southern California due to Camarillo's mild weather, the thrill of running under the lights, and the prospect of racing top teams in four-man relay races. Friday events include the 4 x 800m relay, 4 x 1600m relay, Distance Medley Relay, and a 5000 meter run. Friday night is unique in that there are special invitational events when a particularly strong field of runners has been assembled. In 2006 there was an elite men's 3200 m race, while in 2007 there was an elite women's 3200 m race.
Saturday events consist of (in approximate order) the 100/110 m hurdles, 1600 m run, 4x100 m relay, 400 m dash, 100 m dash, 800 m run, 300 m hurdles, 200 m dash, 3200 m run, and the 4x400 m relay. The long jump, high jump, triple jump, shot put, discus, and pole vault take place throughout the day.
Mike Smith, Charlie Carranza, and Mary Perez are the acting meet directors.
Schools that attended the 2008 Camarillo Classic include Arroyo Grande, Burbank, Birmingham, Cabrillo, Camarillo, Channel Islands, Crescenta Valley, Dominguez, Dos Pueblos, Foothill, Glendora, Golden Valley, Granada Hills, Hart, Hueneme, La Reina, La Sierra, Lompoc, Mira Costa, Mt. Carmel, Moorpark, Morro Bay, Monroe, Newbury Park, Newport Harbor, Nordhoff, Oak Park, Oxnard, Palisades Charter, Rio Mesa, Salesian, San Luis Obispo, Saugus, Santa Barbara, Simi Valley, St. Bonaventure, Thousand Oaks, and Ventura.
This meet has attracted many notable runners. On March 16, 2007, Jordan Hasay, then a student at Mission College Preparatory, set a sophomore national record in the 3200 meters with a time of 10:04.07. She achieved this while Kim Mortensen and Jeff Nelson, both long-standing U.S. record holders in that event, cheered her on. Michael Coe, the 2006 Nike Indoor Nationals 3200m champion, ran the year before with a 9:04 3200m against another superb group of runners. This race was the last on the track under the lights and featured stars such as Coe, Ben Sitler, Ted Price, Jake Matthews, Kent Morikowa, and others. Also in 2003, future state champion Duane Solomon ran a state-leading 1:51.44 800m split.
Some other notable runners include Ted Price (distance events), Richard Sherman (triple jump), Dayshan Ragans (throws), Porchea Carroll (sprints), Ben Sitler (3200), and Spencer and Dylan Knight (distance events).
Boys Individual Meet Records
100m - 10.67 Lambert (St. Bonaventure) 2003
200m - 21.4 Pipersburg (Santa Barbara) 1996
400m - 46.3 Lea (Camarillo) 1998
800m - 1:57.1 Ramirez (Royal) 2001
1600m - 4:17.0 Coe (Cabrillo) 2005
3200m - 9:04.86 Coe (Cabrillo) 2006
5000m - 15:15.83 Knight (La Sierra) 2007
110m hurdles - 14.3 Johnson (Rio Mesa) 2003
300m hurdles - 39.02 Jackson (Royal) 2000
Long jump - 23'9" Jackson (Royal) 1999
Triple jump - 48'8.25" Sherman (Dominguez) 2006
High jump - 6'8.5" Jackson (Channel Islands) 1997
Pole vault - 15'0" Greenburg (Palisades) 2007
Shot put - 63'5.75" Shields (Arroyo Grande) 2001
Discus - 191'6.75" Rohr (Arroyo Grande) 2005
Girls Individual Meet Records
100m - 11.52 Carroll (Rio Mesa) 2000
200m - 24.6 Carroll (Rio Mesa) 1999
400m - 56.48 Neeley (Dos Pueblos) 2004
800m - 2:16.48 Hasay (Mission Prep) 2006
1600m - 4:47.41 Hasay (Mission Prep) 2006
3200m - 10:04.07 Hasay (Mission Prep) 2007
5000m - 19:09.91 Novik (Agoura) 2003
100m hurdles - 14.6 Waaden (Rio Mesa) 1995
300m hurdles - 47.1 Hebert (Buena) 1996
Long jump - 18'4.5" Carroll (Rio Mesa) 1999
Triple jump - 37'4" Valdez (Dos Pueblos) 2007
High jump - 5'10" Wagner (Dos Pueblos) 2002
Pole vault - 11'9" Stark (Oak Park) 2006
Shot put - 51'11.5" Freberg (San Luis Obispo) 2001
Discus - 180'11" Grant (Arroyo Grande) 2003
Boys Relay Records
4x100 - 42.26 Rio Mesa 2007
4x400 - 3:21.1 Lompoc 2002
4x800 - 8:03.52 La Sierra 2007
4x1600 - 17:45.97 Cabrillo 2006
DMR - 10:34.8 Canyon 2005
Girls Relay Records
4x100 - 48.27 Dominguez 2007
4x400 - 3:58.9 Birmingham 2000
4x800 - 9:52.05 Thousand Oaks 2007
4x1600 - 22:38.53 Simi Valley 2006
DMR - 12:23.23 Woodbridge 2006
- "Camarillo Classic Invitational Track and Field Meet," ACHS Athletic Department. http://www.camarilloclassic.com/. Retrieved October 14, 2008.
- Dyestatcal. http://www.dyestatcal.com/results/trk2003/0303%20results/030322CamDistClRes.htm. Retrieved October 25, 2008
- "Schedule of Events." ACHS Athletic Department. http://www.camarilloclassic.com/cci08_sch.pdf. Retrieved October 15, 2008
- Camarillo Distance Classic, ACHS Athletic Department. March 14, 2008. Retrieved October 25, 2008
- Dyestatcal. http://www.dyestat.com/results/trk2007/March/16%20Camarillo%20Dist%20Classic/Recap.htm. Retrieved October 14, 2008.
- Underwood, Steve. Dyestatcal. http://www.dyestatcal.com/3us/6in/NIN/steve-deuces.html. Retrieved October 27, 2008.
- Dyestatcal. http://www.dyestat.com/results/trk2006/March/18Camarillo/18ClIinv/Summary.htm. Retrieved October 14, 2008.
- ACHS Athletic Department. http://www.camarilloclassic.com/cci07_mr.PDF. Retrieved October 14, 2008.
- ACHS Athletic Department. http://www.camarilloclassic.com/CamDistMR.pdf. Retrieved October 14, 2008.