Center for Community Service and Justice
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on May 24 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Center_for_Community_Service_and_Justice. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Center_for_Community_Service_and_Justice, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Center_for_Community_Service_and_Justice.
Template:Merge to Template:Infobox organization Center for Community Service and Justice (CCSJ) at Loyola University Maryland advances this Jesuit university's objective of educating for the faith that does justice by offering a program of events and service experiences that supplement the classroom experience. In 2015 Loyola was ranked among the top 25 colleges and universities in the country for service learning.
These one-time service events are listed on the Service Calendar. Students may participate alone are with their group. The immersion programs include essential meetings for preparation and debriefing.
- Beans and Bread Center hosts 300 of Baltimore's poor for a meal each day and Loyola provides food and help for this once a month. Other opportunities at the center include engaging in board games and conversation with the clients.
- Ignatian Family Teach-In in Washington, D.C., brings together students from Jesuit schools throughout the country for three-days of key-note speakers followed by break-out sessions on issues like immigration reform, environmental justice, and human rights in Central America, and then advocating with congresspersons on Capitol Hill.
- Our Daily Bread Employment Center offers a meal, literacy training and general education, help in finding a job, and substance abuse recovery assistance. Volunteers from Loyola help with the meal program on scheduled Saturdays.
- Immigration Awareness & Advocacy Events include scheduled discussions and advocacy on issues like the rights of migrant farm workers, sex trafficking, and the situation of undocumented workers.
- Special Olympics for those with disabilities has a qualifying event in swimming at Loyola's Fitness and Aquatic Center, with help from student volunteers.
- Viva House Food Bag Collection Program accepts donations of food for the Catholic Worker House in Baltimore.
- York Road Community Days involves students in improving the inner city landscape, while building community with local churches and schools.
- Youth Education Awareness consists of service and advocacy opportunities, speakers, and panel discussions on the root causes of systemic problems affecting the schools and youth in Baltimore.
During the months before the immersion experience, participants meet to learn about the host community, to discuss relevant social justice issues, and to grow as a team. Participants should expect simple accommodations in community centers. After the experience they meet to discuss the social justice issues encountered.
- Experience: Baltimore is a three-day experience for new students in late August, introducing them to the various neighborhoods and to the socioeconomic issues facing Baltimore, through various activities including service and conversations with the people.
- Spring Break Outreach at Loyola includes three options. Appalachian Institute of Wheeling Jesuit University offers direct contact with the people of Appalachia to acquaint students with the complex energy issues confronting this impoverished area. Prison reform is the second option, serving in agencies and speaking with advocates for prison reform, while learning the problems the formerly-incarcerated encounter in finding housing, employment, and supportive communities.[no citations needed here] A third option is hosted by Steinbruck Center, a ministry of Luther Place Memorial Church, Washington, D.C., acquainting students with the root causes of homelessness and urban poverty through lectures, tours, and serving at one of the meals programs.
- Encounter El Salvador gives participants in this program, sponsored by CRISPAZ, an opportunity to live with a rural family in El Salvador for a week.