Flag of the Federal State of Novorossiya
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on June 22 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Flag_of_the_Federal_State_of_Novorossiya. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Flag_of_the_Federal_State_of_Novorossiya, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Flag_of_the_Federal_State_of_Novorossiya.
The unofficial flag of the Federal State of Novorossiya (Referred to in English as New Russia) according to the news portal of the Donetsk Republic is based on the naval jack of Russia and political analyst Mikhail Pavliv is credited with creating the "official banner" of the polity. The flag bears a strong resemblance to that of the Confederate States of America's navy jack and battle flag. However, Pavliv explains that he had simply stumbled upon the flag online somewhere, which was later picked up by party leader Pavel Gubarev. Gubarev has since stated that the inspiration for the flag came from "banners used by Cossacks who reclaimed the New Russian territories from Tatars and Turks for Russia in the 18th century;" however according to Alexey Eremenko of the Moscow Times, no cossacks ever used a flag resembling the one chosen.
Naval jack and fortress flag of imperial and modern Russia
Navy jack of the Confederate States of America
Ensign of Russian Coast Guard
Ensign of the Russian Navy, (St. Andrew's) flag.
- "Утверждён официальный флаг Новороссии. Ранее он уже получил народное признание, а теперь и государственное. [Official flag of New Russia approved. Already received popular recognition, now recognised by the state.]" (in Russian). Novosti Donetskoy Respubliki. 31 May 2014. http://dnr-news.com/dnr/345-utverzhden-oficialnyy-flag-novorossii-ranee-on-uzhe-poluchil-narodnoe-priznanie-a-teper-i-gosudarstvennoe.html. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Babiak, Mat (22 May 2014). "Welcome to New Russia". Ukrainian Policy. http://ukrainianpolicy.com/welcome-to-new-russia/. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- "Ukraine News One: 'Novorossiya' flag appears uncannily like 'Dixie' (VIDEO)". kyivpost.com. http://www.kyivpost.com/multimedia/video-2/ukraine-news-one-novorossiya-flag-appears-uncannily-like-dixie-video-351384.html. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Eremenko, Alexey (9 June 2014). "Ukrainian Rebels Channel U.S. Confederates". The Moscow Times. http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/ukrainian-rebels-channel-us-confederates/501789.html.