- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on May 18 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Giuseppe_Zocco. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Giuseppe_Zocco, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Giuseppe_Zocco.
|Occupation||Partner at Index Ventures|
|Spouse(s)||Stephanie Rada Zocco|
Giuseppe Zocco is co-founder and partner at Index Ventures, a venture capital firm with offices in London, Geneva and San Francisco. Companies Index Ventures has funded include Dropbox, Facebook and Skype, and the firm's partners include Dick Costolo, the former CEO of Twitter. The firm had $1.25 billion available for new investments as of February 2016.
Early life and education
Zocco was born and raised in Italy. He received his bachelor of arts degree in Economics from Bocconi University in Milan and received a master of business administration degree from Stanford Graduate School of Business.
Prior to co-founding Index Ventures, Zocco was with the management consulting firm McKinsey & Company. In 1992, Zocco co-founded Index Ventures in Geneva with brothers Neil and David Rimer. By 2011, the three of them had raised and invested approximately $2.3 billion.
At Index Ventures, Zocco has been involved with investments in a number of different companies, including Ciao (acquired by Greenfield Online and subsequently by Microsoft for $486 million); Milestone (acquired by Canon); Micromet (acquired by Amgen for $1.16 billion); Numerical Technologies (acquired by Synopsys for $250 million); chipmaker Virata (which later entered into a $1.3 Billion merger with GlobeSpan); and Zendesk (Template:NYSE).
Zocco has served on the board of directors of several companies including:
- Moleskine (Template:ISE), a manufacturer of luxury notebooks and other paper products.
- Ozon.ru, the largest online retailer in Russia, known as the "Russian Amazon."
- Privalia, an Italian e-commerce company which in April 2016 was sold to French e-commerce company Vente-Privee for $560 million.
- RPX (Rational Patent Exchange) (Template:NASDAQ), which conducts patent risk management services for large technology companies such as Apple, Cisco Systems, Google, and IBM.
Zocco was the subject of a 2011 profile in Venture Capital Journal, which stated, "Giuseppe Zocco is realizing his dream of helping to create a true multi-stage VC platform capable of supporting entrepreneurs from startup to industry leader." In a 2012 "fireside chat" interview, Mike Butcher, Editor-at-large at TechCrunch, called Zocco "One of the key VCs in Europe."
Zocco serves on the board of directors of the Stanford University Alumni Association, as a board member and President of the Stanford Club of Switzerland, and on the Selection Committee of the World Economic Forum Technology Pioneers program.
- "Moleskine Corporate Governance page". http://corporate.moleskine.com/investor-relations/corporate-governance/board-of-directors.
- "Index Ventures raises €500m tech fund". FT. November 9, 2011. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/49ad4de4-0a1c-11e1-8d46-00144feabdc0.html#axzz46f6DZuSG.
- "Index Ventures Hires Dropbox Exec Ilya Fushman As General Partner". TechCrunch. May 20, 2015. http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/20/index-ventures-hires-dropbox-exec-ilya-fushman-as-general-partner/.
- "Index Ventures raises record $1.25bn to invest in start-ups". The Telegraph. February 3, 2016. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/12129243/Index-Ventures-raises-record-1.25bn-to-invest-in-start-ups.html.
- "Twitter Ex-CEO Dick Costolo Talks Joining Index Ventures As It Announces $1.25 Billion In New Funds". Forbes. February 3, 2016. http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkonrad/2016/02/03/index-ventures-raises-new-funds-as-costolo-joins/#5b93c1bb7cff.
- "Index Ventures Amasses $1.25 Billion to Back Tech Startups". Bloomberg News. February 3, 2016. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-03/index-ventures-amasses-1-25-billion-to-back-tech-startups.
- "Giuseppe Zocco profile". https://indexventures.com/team/giuseppe-zocco.
- "Interview de Giuseppe Zocco et Neil Rimer: "L’argent est là, mais pas le soutien aux entrepreneurs"". L’Hebdo. April 6, 2011. http://www.hebdo.ch/est_la_mais_pas_le_soutien_aux_entrepreneurs_96893_.html.
- "In Conversation with Neil Rimer". PICTEC Perspectives. May 16, 2012. http://perspectives.pictet.com/2012/05/16/neil-rimer-we-look-for-someone-with-a-passion-for-solving-a-big-problem/.
- "Giuseppe Zocco at a Glance". Venture Capital Journal. December 2011. http://media-hill.co.uk/files/VCJ-December-2011-merged.pdf.
- "World Economic Forum: Giuseppe Zocco profile". https://www.weforum.org/people/giuseppe-zocco/.
- "Microsoft Says Hello to Ciao, Buys European Shopping Site". TechCrunch. August 29, 2008. http://techcrunch.com/2008/08/29/microsoft-says-hello-to-ciao-buys-european-shopping-site/.
- "Neil Rimer profile". http://europefastforward.wsj.com/?speakers=neil-rimer.
- "Interview with Giuseppe Zocco and Neil Rimer: "The money is there, but not the support for entrepreneurs"". L'HEBDO. June 4, 2011. http://www.hebdo.ch/est_la_mais_pas_le_soutien_aux_entrepreneurs_96893_.html.
- "TechCrunch". Microsoft Says Hello to Ciao, Buys European Shopping Site. August 29, 2008. http://techcrunch.com/2008/08/29/microsoft-says-hello-to-ciao-buys-european-shopping-site/.
- "Canon Buys Milesone Systems to Build Its Video Surveillance Business". TechCrunch. August 29, 2008. http://techcrunch.com/2014/06/13/canon-buys-milestone-systems-to-build-its-video-surveillance-business/.
- "Amgen to Buy Micromet for $1.16 Billion". New York Times. January 26, 2012. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/amgen-to-buy-micromet-for-1-16-billion/?_r=1.
- "Synopsys to Buy Numerical Technologies". New York Times. January 14, 2003. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/14/business/technology-briefing-e-commerce-synopsys-to-buy-numerical-technologies.html.
- "Globespan, Virata merge in $1.3 billion deal". cnet. January 2, 2002. http://www.cnet.com/news/globespan-virata-merge-in-1-3-billion-deal/.
- "Venture Capital Firm of the Year: Index Ventures". Financial News. June 17, 2015. http://www.efinancialnews.com/story/2015-06-17/fn-private-equity-awards-2015-venture-capital-firm-of-the-year-index-ventures.
- "Index Ventures ditching web for classic businesses?". EU Startups. January 5, 2011. http://www.eu-startups.com/2011/01/index-ventures-ditching-web-for-classic-businesses/.
- "Maelle Gavet Steps Down As CEO of Ozon, Russia’s Amazon". TechCrunch. March 4, 2015. http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/04/maelle-gavet-steps-down-as-ceo-of-ozon-russias-amazon/.
- "Ozon positions for Russian e-commerce boom with $100m funding". FT. September 8, 2011. http://blogs.ft.com/tech-blog/2011/09/ozon-funding-russia/.
- "Vente-Privee buys Spanish fashion ecommerce site Privalia for ~$560M". TechCrunch. April 14, 2016. http://techcrunch.com/2016/04/14/vente-privee-buys-spanish-fashion-ecommerce-site-privalia/.
- "Board of Directors Clause Uses in Preferred Stock Purchase Agreement". Law Insider. July 2009. https://www.lawinsider.com/usage/conditions-of-investors-obligations-at-closing/board-of-directors-clause-uses-in-preferred-stock-purchase-agreement.
- "TechCrunch Italy - Fireside chat: Giuseppe Zocco and Mike Butcher" (Video). September 26, 2012. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4veYjpoH5mo&index=7&list=PL_c3CPkWEWH6xLWnSXgO5QX_3lEf-bkNh. Retrieved May 25, 2016.
- "Stanford Alumni: Board of Directors". https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/about-us/about-board.
- "Stanford Alumni: Stanford Club of Switzerland". https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/groups/overview/?group_id=0038990975.
- "Campus News". University of Chicago Magazine. October 2004. http://magazine.uchicago.edu/0410/campus-news/geneva.shtml.
- "University of Chicago Booth School of Business: Alumni Family Beach BBQ". https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/groups/overview/?group_id=0038990975.