Health Coach Institute
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 20 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Health_Coach_Institute. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Health_Coach_Institute, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Health_Coach_Institute.
- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (December 2019)
Health Coach Institute (HCI) is a health coach training school that educates students with a six-month online training program. Graduates of the foundational health coach training program receive dual health and life coach certificates. Although they are headquartered in Boise, Idaho, Health Coach Institute has a 100 percent remote workforce.
Health Coach Institute’s digital learning platform is designed for active students with consume-at-your-own pace training modules, practice labs, and one-on-one coaching. More practical learning than text-book theory, the curriculum includes live training sessions with clients. Health Coach Institute holds two training events annually, HCI Live, where students and alumni network and bond. The live community events where practicing students and alumni coaches gather are hallmarks of the training, because of the support and community, and have been the springboard to collaborative passion projects between coaches who find common ground. Topics run the gamut from basic nutrition theory to overcoming body dysmorphia to recovering from addiction.
Health Coach Institute training takes a holistic approach to overall health and wellness. Core principles include functional nutrition and habit change. Functional medicine takes a systemic approach, examining the root causes of illness, rather than treating individual symptoms. Functional nutrition mirrors this and applies it on the individual level to improve overall health, prevent disease, and promote longevity. Coupled with the habit change coaching methodology, students receive instruction and guidance on creating healthy lifestyle changes that are sustainable. Students are taught to first apply the principles learned in self-care in their own lives so they resonate and have more meaning in the lives of the clients they coach.
HCI’s flagship coaching course is the Become A Health Coach training program. The modules for the coursework are broken down into four core pillars: functional nutrition, the habit change coaching methodology, personal growth, and business and marketing systems. Students and practicing coaches get access to a dashboard with a library of marketing resources, career services, placement in a health coach directory, and community support—--via active social networks.
Health Coach Institute was founded in 2011 by co-founders Carey Peters and Stacey Morgenstern, who are both master health coaches, in response to gaps they had noticed in years of training. Initially launched as an MBA program, the trainings were refined over the years to eventually evolve into the foundational six-month Become A Health Coach Program of today, along with Coach Mastery, the graduate-level training program.
Accreditation & Educational Partnerships
The International Coach Federation has accredited the Become a Health Coach program. The Become a Life Coach program (BLC) is included in this accreditation as a portion of the Continuing Coach Education (CCE) Accredited Become a Health Coach Program. The ICF does offer three credentials to coaches who have taken the ICF-accredited Become a Health Coach program that come with additional requirements. Earning a CCE-accreditation means that a certain amount of core competency and resource development hours were completed that can be used towards individual credentialing with ICF, and that coursework has undergone a rigorous review and deemed worthy of ICF accreditation.
Health Coach Institute is also an Approved Training Provider in Canada with the Canadian Health Coach Alliance; Canadian coaches are eligible for the Registered Health Coach (RHC) Designation through the Canadian Health Coach Alliance upon certification. In the United Kingdom, HCI is an Approved Training Provider by the Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT); and in Austria and New Zealand with the International Institute for Complementary Therapists (IICT).
Academic and Educational Partnerships Saybrook University of Pasadena, California, provides postgraduates with master's and doctoral degrees and partners with professional certification programs that supplement their focus on humanistic psychology. Saybrook has recognized Health Coach Institute as an academic partner with this summation: "They are pioneering a new generation of health coaches who they believe are changing the consciousness of the planet." 
Coaches who complete the Become a Health Coach program receive a Health Coach Certificate and a Life Coach Certificate and the designation of Certified Health Coach from HCI. Credentials from the International Coach Federation have to be renewed every 3 years and have continuing education requirements outside of HCI training. The credentials ICF offers are Associate Certified Coach (ACC), Professional Certified Coach (PCC), and Master Certified Coach (MCC).
- "Health Coach Institute Curriculum". https://www.healthcoachinstitute.com/programs/curriculum/.
- Arnold, Michael (2019). Drowning in Addiction: Sink or Swim: A Personal Guide to Choosing Your Legit Path to Recovery. Columbus, OH: Gatekeeper Press. ISBN 9781642374629.
- Yu, Julia (2019). Sweeter Without Sugar: How to Break Free from the Sugar Habit and Improve Your Quality of Life. Bloomington, IN: Balboa Press. ISBN 978-1-9822-3047-0.
- "How to Turn a Lifestyle Business into an Empire". Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/geristengel/2016/03/02/how-to-turn-a-lifestyle-business-into-an-empire/#291b076a4634.
- "The Gold Standard in Coaching, International Coach Federation". https://coachfederation.org/.
- "The Health Coach Alliance". https://www.healthcoachalliance.ca/.
- "Federation of Holistic Therapists Directory Service". https://www.fht.org.uk/.
- "International Institute for Complementary Therapists". https://www.iictinsurance.com/.
- "Saybrook University - Areas of Study". https://www.saybrook.edu/academics/academic-partnerships/.
- "Health Coach Institute Accreditation". https://www.healthcoachinstitute.com/accreditation/.