- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on July 8 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Josep_Viciana. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Josep_Viciana, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Josep_Viciana.
July 2, 1951 (age 67)|
|Occupation||Director, creator and scriptwriter of animation series and films.|
Josep Lluís Viciana (born July 2, 1951 in Terrassa) is a creator, scriptwriter and director of series and movies, specialist in cartoon and animated products. During his professional career, he has worked in D'Ocon Films and Neptuno Films, both of them animation companies, and he has had an important role in the development of series such as "The Fruitties", "The Ugly Duckling", "Connie the Cow", "Detective Bogey" or "Dougie in Disguise". Also, with some of these series, he has worked with many different companies and TV channels such as BRB International, Disney UK, NRD, Discovery Kids LA, Noggin, Alliance Atlantis, Sauthern StarTemplate:Dn, Animasia, TV Loonland, TV3, TVE and Canal Sur.
Josep Viciana studied film in the Escuela de Medios Audiovisuales de Barcelona (EMAV) from 1981 to 1983. In this period of time, he produced some short-films, such as the documental "Dog's Life" ("Vida de perros").
His professional career began with some independent short-films between 1972 and 1985, using the SUPER8 format.
Since 1985, he has worked mostly in animation series. Viciana worked as scriptwriter in D'Ocon Films, an animation company. He took part in some famous series of D'Ocon Films like "The Amazing World of Bruffi", coproduced by TV3, "Aurones" or "The Fruitties", both coproduced by TVE, and "Delfy and His Friends", broadcast in TVE and English channel Sky One.
In 1991, Viciana was one of the founders of Neptuno Films, an animation company established in Terrassa (Barcelona). In the following years, Neptuno Films became a driving force in the world animation production industry. Some of the series release under its name and directed by Viciana were:
- "Detective Bogey" and "The Ugly Ducking", both coproduced by TVE.
- "Bandolero", coproduced by Canal Sur.
- "Connie the Cow", exported to Canada and United States.
- "Sea Princesses", coproduced by Australian company Sauthern Star.
- "Megaminimals", exported to many countries such as United States, Kenia and China, thanks to its exposure in Cannes Festival.
Featured work and awards
The company currently constitutes one of the largest fully-fledged studios in Europe with a distribution arm that manages its TV, video and merchandising rights portfolio. In The Global Animation Business report, with the participation of CARTOON, the European animation association, Neptuno Films ranked second among the most prolific European studios. Also, the company was chosen as one of the top 10 international animation studios outside the United States by Animation Magazine.
Many series created by Viciana have became well-known and have been exported to other countries.
"The Ugly Duckling" was exported to Chinese public TV in 1997, and it was the first occidental animation series that entered in the Chinese market. "Connie the Cow" was exported to different countries such as United States and Canada, and it was one of the most awarded series in 2000 Cannes Festival. It also won a Cartoons on the Bay in 2005 and a Zapping Award in 2006. "Detective Bogey" won the award of Best Spanish Animated Series. "Megaminimals" has been exported to many countries such as United States, Kenia and China, thanks to its exposure in Cannes Festival.
List of Viciana's projects</tbody>
|1984-1985||The amazing world of Bruffi||Serie||Scriptwriter and director||Coproduced by TV3.|
|1986||Aurones||Coproduced by TVE|
|1988||Catalonia's History||Scriptwriter||Coproduced by TV3|
|1989-1991||The Fruitties||Scriptwriter||Coproduced by TVE|
|1990||La pista salta a la vista||Scriptwriter and director||Coproduced by TVE|
|1990||Lorgan||Scriptwriter and producer||Produced by Institut del Cinema Català|
|1991||Delfy and His Friends||Scriptwriter||Coproduced by TVE|
|1997-1998||The Ugly Duckling||Creator|
|2000||The Gravediggers Squad||Director||Coproduced by TV3|
|2000-2001||The three bears|
|Bandolero||Creator and director||Coproduced by Canal Sur|
|Three Bears Story||Movie||Director|
|The amazing adventures of the Ugly Duckling||Director|
|2001-2002||Connie the Cow||Series||Creator and director|
|2002||2020||Coproduced by Megatrix|
|2003||Learning with Connie|
|2003-2004||Connie the Cow (season 2)||Coproduced by TV3|
|Ugly Duckling: the Big Race|
|Holidays with El Patito Feo|
|Xmas with El Patito Feo|
|The haunted forest|
|Dragons and Elves|
|2005-2006||Tork||Series||Scriptwriter and creator|
|Dougie in disguise||Creator and director|
|2005||Byte Boy||Scriptwriter and creator|
|2006||Ambi and Lance||Scriptwriter and director|
|2007||The adventures of the Three Bears||Movie||Director|
|The Halloween Night|
|The scary adventures of the Gravediggers Squad|
|Megaminimals||Series||Scriptwriter and creator|
|2010-2012||Rupert & Sam||Scriptwriter and director|
|2015-2018||The story is not over yet|
- "Neptuno Films | Crunchbase" (in en). https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/neptuno-films#section-locked-marketplace.
- "Matinals infantils Archives – Som Cinema" (in ca-ES). http://www.somcinema.cat/categoria/edicions-anteriors/somcinema-4/matinals-infantils-4/.
- "Josep Viciana - The Screen Guide - Screen Australia". https://www.screenaustralia.gov.au/the-screen-guide/p/josep-viciana/29652/#ccTall.
- Neptuno Films (2012-09-24), Megaminimals Entrevista Josep Viciana a Rac1, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3cGP-5aVo, retrieved 2018-07-08