- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on March 25 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Joshua_Aston. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Joshua_Aston, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Joshua_Aston.
|Dr. Joshua N. Aston|
|Education||Ph.D (Law), LL.M. (UK)|
|Alma mater||Sussex Law School, University of Sussex, UK|
|Occupation||Academician / Lawyer|
|Organization||Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar|
Dr. Joshua N. Aston is the Dean – Students’ Welfare and Assistant Professor of Law at Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India. Additionally, he is also an Officer on Special Duty at the Office of the Director of the University.
Being into teaching and research and coming from an academics background and a family of academicians, Dr. Aston has contributed considerably in teaching and research. He teaches International Criminal Law, International Human Rights, Law of Contract and Maritime Law.
In the year 2012, he received the prestigious research scholarship from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Israel which was facilitated through the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India. He was a Research Scholar at the Buchmann Faculty of Law, Tel Aviv University, Israel for 8 months.
Dr. Aston holds a PhD in Law from Symbiosis International University, Pune. He has completed his Master in Laws in International Criminal Law from the University of Sussex, Brighton, UK wherein he also completed his Legal Secretarial Diploma from Souters Legal Training Centre, London. He completed his BA in Politics from Nowrosjee Wadia College, Pune and went on to pursue LL.B. from Balaji Law College, Pune, India and stood First in the College and holds the Fifth rank in the LLB Examination of the University of Pune. Besides, he did Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Management from Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune; one of India’s most sought after B-Schools.
Dr. Aston is a young teacher and in his academic career, he has taught various law subjects to the undergraduate and postgraduate students. His teaching contribution includes various institutes of Law. He had worked in Symbiosis Law School in the city of Pune for 2 years as an Assistant Professor of law. During his stint at Symbiosis Law School, he was also the Deputy Director of the institute. After this stint, he went tp Israel for research for 8 months and thereafter je joined Gujarat National Law University in Gandhinagar, India as an Assistant Professor of Law since December 2013. In a span of one year, he was made the Dean of Students' Welfare and has also been handling an additional responsibility of an Officer on Special Duty (OSD) in the Office of the Director. Besides teaching Contracts Law, International Criminal Law and Human Rights Law to the UG & PG students, he has also guided many students of LL.M. students for their dissertation and has also guided students on various research activities. Besides these full time appointments, he has alsi been a visiting faculty in various institutes such as Indian Institute of Advanced Research, Gandhinagar, Kirloskar Institute of Advanced Management Studies (KIAMS), Pune, SNBP Law College, Pune, SP College, Pune, to name a few
Research & Publications
Dr. Joshua Aston has an incredible publication and research to his credit. He has also presented various research papers and participated in many national and international conferences and seminars. The following are his notable list of publication and research:
- Published an article entitled 'Electronic Contracts-Protection of the Rights and Interests of the Consumers' in AAGAM International Journal of Humanities, Social Sciences, Management and Technology in September 2015. Template:ISSN
- Published an article entitled ‘Human Trafficking and its Prosecution: Challenges of the ICC’ in the Journal of The Gujarat University in March 2015. Template:ISSN
- Published the 1st Newsletter (An initiative of the GNLU - ONGC, SRAG) entitled 'Contracting Across Countries' under the prestigious GNLU - ONGC Research Scholarships in International Contracts in August 2014.
- Published a Short Note for an article entitled Supreme Court to the Rescue of Husbands Family' in FLAIR TALK Volume 1, Issue 7, Template:ISSN.
- Published an Article entitled “Need for Piracy Legislation in India” in the 'Lighthouse', a Journal of OSI under the aegis of the Indian Maritime Foundation, Issue 7, April 2014.
- Published an article entitled “A Continuing Maritime Boundary Dispute: India and Bangladesh” in 'Seagull' the Journal of the Indian Maritime Foundation, Vol. 18, No 76, February 2014.
- Published an article entitled “The Dilemma of Enforceability of the Armed Conflict Laws” in SSRN - Cultural Anthropology e-Journal and the Social and Political Philosophy e-Journal in Feb 2014.
- Published an article entitled “Women, Violence and Gender Justice: A Human Rights Perspective” on SSRN – Indian Law e-Journal; Women, Law & Human Rights e-Journal; Human Rights & the Corporation e-Journal in September 2013.
- Published an article entitled “Victims of Human Trafficking: A Human Rights Perspective” on SSRN - International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal, Human Rights and the Global Economy e-Journal, Women, Law & Human Rights e-Journal and Law & Society: International and Comparative Law e-journal, Political Economy: International Political Economy e-Journal and Social & Philosophy e-Journal in March 2013. [Rated as SSRN’s Top Ten Downloaded Article]
- Published an article entitled “Admissibility and the International Criminal Court” on SSRN - International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal, Legislation & Statutory Interpretation e-Journal, Law & Society: Legislation e-Journal, Political Institutions: International Institutions e-Journal, Philosophy of Law e-journal in March 2013.
- Published an article entitled “Human Trafficking and its Prosecution: Challenges of the ICC” on SSRN - International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal, Human Rights and the Global Economy e Journal and Law and Society: International and Comparative Law e-journal in January 2013.
- Published an article entitled ‘Abolishment of Human Trafficking: A Distant Dream’ on SSRN – International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal, Human Rights and the Global Economy e-Journal, Law Society: International & Comparative Law e-Journal and International Political Economy e-Journal in July 2012.
- Published an article entitled ‘Narco-Terrorism - A Critical Study’ on SSRN – International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal, Asian Law e-Journal and Conflict Studies e-Journal in February 2013. [Rated as SSRN’s Top Ten Downloaded Article]
- Published an article “Nuremberg Trials in the Development of International Criminal Law” in Symbiosis Contemporary Law Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 1, 2012 published by Lexis Nexis (ISBN 978-81-8038-840-8).
- Published an article entitled ‘Nuclear Applications- Law on Civil Liability for Damage’ in the All India Reporter June 2012, Vol 99 – Part 1182.
- Published an article entitled ‘Indian Police System: Accountability and Efficiency’ in Nirma University Law Journal Template:ISSN Vol. 1, Issue 2 January 2012.
- Published an article “Genesis of International Criminal Law” on SSRN - International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal and Legal History e-Journal in September 2011.
- Published an article on “Jewish Criminal Justice in Ancient Israel” in All India Reporter 2011 Cr LJ Sept 261.
- Edited a book entitled 'Identifying and Comparing the Trends in International Contract Laws and Probing the Critical Issues for Multinational Contracting Parties' published by Gujarat National Law University in collaboration with Oil and Natural Gas Corporation of India in January 2016. (ISBN 978-9384936020)
- Edited a Book titled ‘International Contracts, Jurisdictional Issues, and the Global Commercial and Investment Governance (A Collection of Essays on Recent Trends)’ published by Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar and EBC. (2015)
- Published a Book entitled ‘Restructuring The Indian Police System: Need For Accountability & Efficiency’ (ISBN 978-3847313991) by Lambert Academic Publishers, Germany. (2011)
Conferences and Seminars Attended
- Presented Paper (in absentia) entitled 'Regulating Media in the context of Under Cover Operations in India' at the International Conference on Media and Law: The Contemporary Challenges and Strategies organized by Amity Law School, Center II on 1 October 2015.
- Presented a paper entitled 'Human Trafficking and Its Prosecution: Challenges of the ICC' at the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on "NEW DIMENSIONS OF LAW IN 21st CENTURY" on 17th and 18 January 2015 at the School of Law, Gujarat University.
- Presented a paper entitled 'Human Trafficking and Human Rights: Need for an Effective Legal Response' at the International Conference on Contemporary Issues and Challenges of Human Rights in the Era of Globalization organized by Gujarat Law Society on 2 and 3 August 2014.
- Presented a paper entitled 'Sting Operations: An Ethicolegal Perspective' at the Lux et Veritas, National Seminar on Media and Law organized by the Faculty of Law, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda on 7 and 8 March 2014.
- Presented a Paper entitled ‘Meaningful Legal Education in the 21st Century’ at the National Conference organized by the All India Law Teachers Congress, New Delhi, 11 and 12 June 2011.
- Attended a Workshop for the launch of the Australian Governments New Colombo Plan on 4 September 2014 at the University of Mumbai.
- Participated in a Symposium on Nuclear Energy, Technology, Safety and Environment organized by Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Gandhinagar on 6th Jan 2014.
- Attended Global Conference on Justice for All? The International Criminal Court - A Conference: A Ten Year Review organized by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and the Australian Human Rights Centre of the Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales at Sydney Australia from 11 Feb 2012 – 17 Feb 2012.
- Attended National Consultation on Current Challenges and Reforms in Civil and Criminal Justice Deliverance System held at Symbiosis Law School, Pune on 28 January 2012.
- Attended International Global Conference on Maritime Security and Anti Piracy organized by Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar from 24 November 2011 – 28 November 2011.
- Attended Seminar on “Cyber Attack 2011” organized by Asian School of Cyber Laws, Pune on 19 November 2011.
- National Symposium on " Socio-Legal Dimension of Live-In Relationships: Case of D Velusamy vs. D. Patchaiammal Revisited", organized by Symbiosis Law School, Pune on 27 August 2011.
- National Conference on Enhancing Human Resource Development through Excellence in Education organized by Centre for Education beyond Curriculum, Christ University, Bangalore, 16 – 18 February 2011.\
- “Protection of Women” under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 organized by A.B.M.S. Parishad’s Yeshwantrao Chavan Law College and University Grants Commission in Pune in August 2010.
- International Conference of Judges and Law Academics on Access to Justice, Legal Education, and understanding Incubator organized by Symbiosis International University in collaboration with Community Legal Resource Network, CUNY School of Law, USA, August 2010.
- ‘Nature and Effects of Chemical Weapons’ organized by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) at The Netherlands, Nov 2006.
- ‘European Convention on Human Rights’ organized by the University of Nottingham, UK in Nov 2006.
Awards and Achievements
- Awarded the 'Best Paper Award' by the Gujarat Law Society at the International Conference on Contemporary Issues and Challenges of Human Rights in the Era of Globalization organized by Gujarat Law Society on 2 and 3 August 2014.
- Awarded the Israeli Government Scholarship for Research in Comparative Studies at Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Israel, (2012–2013)
- Awarded the Sir Ratan Tata Travel Grant of Rs 85,000/- to attend Global Conference on Justice for All? The International Criminal Court - A Ten Year Review, organized by the University of New South Wales, Sydney Australia from 11 Feb 2012 – 17 Feb 2012.
- Special Award Certificate for Value Consciousness and Constructive Leadership, 2010- SLS, Pune.
- Awarded the Chancellors International Scholarship of £2200 at the hands of Prof Alasdiar Smith, Vice Chancellor, in 2006
- Awarded Certificate of Merit for standing fifth in the at the Bachelor of Law Examination in 2006
- Awarded Certificate of Merit for participating in the Late P B Gajendragadkar Intercollegiate Moot Court Competition conducted by the Department of Law, in 2005.
- Awarded Certificate of Merit for Outstanding and Dedicated Service and Profound Commitment to Marine Environment from Ocean in 2003
- Received Life Saving Certificate from National Life Saving Society at the hands of Rear Admiral P D Sharma AVSM, NM in 2002
- Member, Board of Studies, Indian Institute of Advanced Research, UIAR, Gandhinagar, Gujarat
- Trustee and Member, Governing Council, BPHE Society’s Ahmednagar College, Center for Studies in Rural Development, Institute of Social Work and Research and Institute of Management Studies, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra
- Member, GNLU - Indian Legal History Museum Council, Gujarat National Law University
- Member, Research Council, Gujarat National Law University
- Member, Bar Council of the State of Maharashtra and Goa, India
- Member, National Life Saving Society of India
- Member, Indian Maritime Foundation
- Member, Art of Living Foundation
- Member of the Editorial Board, All India Law Teachers Congress