- The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. But, that doesn't mean someone has to… establish notability by citing reliable secondary sources that are independent of the topic and provide significant coverage of it beyond its mere trivial mention. (December 2015)
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on April 5 2019. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Kst_(software). All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Kst_(software), the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Kst_(software).
Kst is a plotting and data viewing program. Kst is a KDE application and is freely available for anyone to download and use under the terms of the GPL. It is noted for being able to graph real-time data aquisition.
Kst was initially developed by Barth Netterfield, an astrophysicist as a personal project. By 2004 it had begun to be used in various universities and the European Space Agency and development was funded by the Canadian Space Agency.
kst is able to plot histograms and 3-D with color and contour mapping for 3-D images.
Real-time plotting capability
Real-time applications vary in size from simple graphing of a sensor from a microcontroller such as arduino that may be set up by a hobbyist to a simple sensor to plotting of real time date from the Atacama Cosmology Telescope.
Kst is able to accept a number input formats with Dirfiles being particularly suitable for streaming applications and plug-in extension filters enabling other input stream types and file formats to be added.
In the process of developing the kst application a spin-off was the emergence of the Dirfile file format standard for time-ordered binary data in an efficient manner.Template:Efn It was developed under the Getdata project into an independent standard with its own API.
Notes and references
- "Interview with Barth Netterfield about kst". http://www.tomchance.org.uk/writing/kstinterview/.
- Template:Cite magazine
- Årzén, Karl-Erik; Faure, Pascal; Fohler, Gerhard; Mattavelli, Marco; Neundorf, Alexander; Romero, Vanessa; Schorr, Stefan (2011-01-29). "D1f - Interface Specification". pp. 41–42. Appendix B - The Kst Real-Time Plotting and Data Viewing Interface. http://rts.eit.uni-kl.de/fileadmin/publication_files/TR09actors_d1f_schorr.pdf.
- "Kst - Benchmarks". http://kst-plot.kde.org/benchmarks/.
- "The Kst Handbook". p. 1. What is Kst?. https://kst-plot.kde.org/kst1/KstHandbook.pdf.
- Nowak, Adam; Walkowiak, Przemysław; Szwabe, Andrzej; Misiorek, Pawel. wnPUT Testbed Experimentation Framework. Lecture notes in Computer Science. 7129. pp. 377,379,381. Template:Citation error.
- Systems and control software for the Atacama Cosmology Telescope. 79019. 1 August 2008. Template:Citation error. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jeffrey_Klein3/publication/234114252_Systems_and_control_software_for_the_Atacama_Cosmology_Telescope/links/02e7e52b865d3691ee000000.pdf.
- "The Dirfile Standards". http://getdata.sourceforge.net/dirfile.html.