List of participants at the Second Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on June 25 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:List_of_participants_at_the_Second_Extraordinary_General_Assembly_of_the_Synod_of_Bishops. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/List_of_participants_at_the_Second_Extraordinary_General_Assembly_of_the_Synod_of_Bishops, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/List_of_participants_at_the_Second_Extraordinary_General_Assembly_of_the_Synod_of_Bishops.
In addition to Pope John Paul II, who served as president of the Second Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops in 1985, there were multiple other classes of participants. Archbishop Jan Pieter Schotte, CICM, served as Secretary General, Cardinal Godfried Danneels was the Relator General, and the Rev. Walter Kasper was the Special Secretary. The delegate presidents were cardinals John Krol, Joseph Malula, and Johannes Willebrands. Overall, there were 165 cardinals, archbishops, and bishops and ten observer-delegates. No women were invited to participate.
Eastern Catholic Churches
Representatives of episcopal conferences
Template:MoreThe following bishops were presidents or representatives of episcopal conferences. Unlike in ordinary general assemblies of the Synod of Bishops, where episcopal conferences can elect a bishop to represent them, in extraordinary general assemblies, the representative is almost always the episcopal conference's president.
|Archbishop Francis Roberts Rush||Brisbane||Australian Catholic Bishops' Conference||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal Thomas Williams||Wellington||New Zealand Catholic Bishops' Conference||Template:Flag|
|Bishop Gregory Singkai||Bougainville||Catholic Bishops' Conference of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands||Template:Flag|
|Archbishop Petero Mataca||Suva||Episcopal Conference of the Pacific||Template:Flag|
Heads of the Dicasteries of the Roman Curia
Members of the Ordinary Council
|Rev. Hans Urs von Balthasar||Theologian||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal Joseph Bernardin||Archbishop of Chicago||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal John Francis Dearden||Archbishop emeritus of Detroit||Template:Flag|
|Archbishop Maxim Hermaniuk||Archbishop of Winnipeg||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal Franz König||Archbishop emeritus of Vienna||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal John Krol||Archbishop of Philadelphia||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal Bernard Francis Law||Archbishop of Boston||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal Aloísio Lorscheider||Archbishop of Fortaleza||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal Henri de Lubac, SJ||Theologian||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal Jean-Marie Lustiger||Archbishop of Paris||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal Friedrich Wetter||Archbishop of Munich and Freising||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal Eugênio Sales||Archbishop of Rio de Janeiro||Template:Flag|
|Cardinal Ángel Suquía Goicoechea||Archbishop of Madrid||Template:Flag|
The following delegates represented non-Catholic organizations:
- - II ASSEMBLEA GENERALE STRAORDINARIA (25 NOVEMBRE-8 DICEMBRE 1985) "II EXTRAORDINARY GENERAL ASSEMBLY (25 NOVEMBER-8 DECEMBER 1985)". http://www.vatican.va/news_services/press/documentazione/documents/sinodo_indice_en.html#9 - II ASSEMBLEA GENERALE STRAORDINARIA (25 NOVEMBRE-8 DICEMBRE 1985).
- Dionne Jr., E. J. (1985-11-24). "The Pope's Guardian of Orthodoxy" (in en-US). The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. http://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/24/magazine/the-pope-s-guardian-of-orthodoxy.html.
- Briggs, Kenneth A. Briggs (1985-11-25). "John Paul Opens Synod of Bishops" (in en-US). The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. http://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/25/world/john-paul-opens-synod-of-bishops.html.
- Thomas, Washington Christopher (2015-04-24) (in en). The participation of non-Catholic Christian observers guest and fraternal delegates at the Second Vatican Council and Synods of Bishops a theological analysis. Gregorian Biblical BookShop. pp. 158. ISBN 9788878393097. https://books.google.com/books?id=kY9sCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA151&lpg=PA151&dq=second+extraordinary+general+assembly+of+the+synod+of+bishops+1985+participants&source=bl&ots=ck9HPBbCTy&sig=36ENI9S1V1xAg4sURwZbN8EpIko&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXpP_A7tTUAhVFrD4KHTngCwI4ChDoAQgjMAA#v=onepage&q=extraordinary&f=false.
- McCarthy, Timothy G. (2012-04-16) (in en). The Catholic Tradition, Second Edition: The Church in the Twentieth Century. Wipf and Stock Publishers. pp. 95. ISBN 9781620322352. https://books.google.com/books?id=ImhNAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA95&dq=second+extraordinary+synod&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuhqDSiNfUAhVGPD4KHV-6DE8Q6AEIRzAG#v=onepage&q=second%20extraordinary%20synod&f=false.
- "An Extraordinary Synod" (in en-US). Crisis Magazine. 1986-01-01. http://www.crisismagazine.com/1986/an-extraordinary-synod-2.
- Miranda, Salvador. "The Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church - May 25, 1985". http://www2.fiu.edu/~mirandas/bios1985.htm.
- Okuma, Peter Chidi (2009) (in en). Empowerment of the Catholic Laity in the Nigerian Political Situation: An Hermeneutical Reading of Apostolicam Actuositatem (the Decree on the Apostolate of the Laity) of Vatican II and Its Application to Concrete Situations. Peter Lang. pp. 164. ISBN 9783631581827. https://books.google.com/books?id=MWwW32sk95YC&pg=PA163&dq=second+extraordinary+synod&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuhqDSiNfUAhVGPD4KHV-6DE8Q6AEIPTAE#v=onepage&q=second%20extraordinary%20synod&f=false.
- Dionne Jr., E. J. (1985-12-05). "U.S. Woman Protests With 'Mass,' in St. Peter's". The New York Times.
- Higgins, Michael W.; Letson, Douglas R. (1987). "Canadian Participation in Episcopal Synods, 1967-1985". Historical Studies 54: 145-157. http://www.umanitoba.ca/colleges/st_pauls/ccha/Back%20Issues/CCHA1987/Higgins.pdf.
- País, Ediciones El (1985-11-14). "Revuelo en Roma por un libro sobre el cardenal Koenig" (in es). EL PAÍS. http://elpais.com/diario/1985/11/14/sociedad/500770806_850215.html.