- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on January 1 2014. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Nayeebramhana. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Nayeebramhana, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Nayeebramhana.
Nayeebramhana was one of the higher castes in India. The nayeebramhanas are devotes of Shiva.
- Divisions based on Veda
- Divisions based on sect
Jagadguru Adi sankara (madhwas bramnin kerala), agastya mahamuni (ayurvedic pandit), Manickavasagar (one of the god nayanars), Kambar (Tamil ramayanam writer), etc.. born in this community..
The Pandithar or Pandit also known as Maruthuvar, in olden days they were the doctors for the commoners and advisors for the Kings. They followed mostly Siddhar, ayurveda, and siddha to treat patients. That time, people were not used to cut their hair, rather they grow. When they got wounds, the "Maruthuvars" removed hairs in the wounded area, before they would do expertise in siddha or ayurvedic medicines. So apart from helping patients, people got their hairs cut as well.
When the British came to divide and rule India, they introduced English medicines, gradually the British indirectly dimmed the Siddha and Ayurvedic medical practices to be vanished away for their economical gains. The British set brought the hair cutting practices and people in general also started trimming their hairs in the name of fashion. The "Maruthuvars", took opportunity to gain economically.
"Navithan" or Nasuvan in olden days were musicians in the places of gatherings for weddings, etc. and in the courts of the Kings and Rulers. When the British came to rule India "Nassuvan" were integrated to became a community with the Maruthuvars.
Today, in the modern era and century, many started beauty parlors, learn traditional musical instruments, learn both the ayuveda, siddha, though they do not belong hereditarily to this community, entered into these profession for a financial gain and modernity.
Maruthuvars, differently called as Nassuvan (Navithars), Mangalar, etc., were respectable Physicians, who lived once as courtiers, dentist and doctors. Maruthuvar, Pandithar, Vaithiyar, Nasuvar, Pronopakari or Parubagari who are derogatively termed today as Ambattan, meaning "Am" means five, "Battan" means title. Ambattan is a person with five distinctive skills or career titles, and their women is known as Maruthuvachi, meaning a Mid-wifery or Women-doctor'. It is noteworthy that only women who belongs to this caste has the right to use the caste title behind their names "Maruthuvachi" As India is Patriarchal society, only men are entitle to carry lineage of caste behind their names, not their women, except the Maruthuvachi.
In the Pre-colonial, Pre-British Era, the Dravidian race or the Dravidian People was ruled and led by one simple philosophy: "ONDRE KULAM ORUWANE THEIVAM". These group of castes are known with various names and titles distinctions in various parts of India. Ezhavathy Nair, Nair, Manggala, etc. Maruthuvar means ONE WHO PREPARES MARUNTHU OR MEDICINES, Today Known As Pharmacies, Or Medicinal Doctor.
The film 7aum Arivu (7th sense) explains about the medicinal tradition and this community people.
all nayeebramhans are Vegetarians & non-vegetarians..
Nayeebramhanas also called
- Nayi bramhana
- Mangali, mangala
- nayeebramhana kapu, balija, telaga (ayurvedic doctors)
- Isai Velalar
- Maruthavar (Pandithar, Vaithyar, )
- Vilakkithala nayar
- madhwas (Vadhyayar, Purohit, Vathiar, Sastri etc..)
- Ezhavathy Brahmins or Kavutheeya Brahmins in Kerala known as Madhwas
- They are an Indo-Aryan priests mainly do death rituals, marriage, Yagna etc. They also known as Vathima or Vathi.
- Ezhavathy Brahmins are also related to Shivalli Brahmins of Karnataka
- Raj bandari
- pandita Sastri
- pandita raja
- Thakur, takoor
Variedly Called as in India:
In various part of Great Mother India, these Community or caste are called variedly in different dialects, to mention a few, in:
Tamil Nadu: MARUTHUVAR, PANDITAHAR, VAITHIYAR, NASUVAR, PARUBAGARI,ISAI VELLALAR.
Andra Pradesh: NAYEE BRAHMINS, NAVI, MANGGALI , MANGALA , NIYOGINAYEEBRAMHANA , NAYEEBRAMHANA KAPU,BALIJA,TELAGA .
Assam: NAI, SANTHURA VETHIYAR. Bihar: TAKUR, OR TAGORE, NAI, NAVIK, NAI BRAHMIN- Rabindranath Tagore belongs to this caste.
Uttar Pradesh: NAI BANDE, TAKUR OR TAGOORE, NAI BRAMIN, BANDE BRAHMIN.
Delhi: NAI, NAI BRAHMIN, SAVITRA, SAROVA, SEYIN, BANDAR, RAJA BANDARI.
Kashmir: HASAM, NAVIK, NAI, NAV, SABITHA, NAYEE BRAHMIN
Kerala: MADHWAS , VILAKKITHALA NAYAR, AMBATTAR, Maaran,VELAGHIL.
Karnataka : MADHWAS , DEVADIGA , SAVITRA,Gujaran
Maharastra: BALANTHU, NAVIK, KELASI, NAI BRAHMIN, BANANTHU
Orissa: PATRI, VARIK, RAJA BHANDARI, 9,Raja Bandari mean to show a man who is the king of a town, or a NAYAGAN). Punjab: NAI, NAI BRAHMIN, PANDITHA RAJAN, MEKHTA, TAKUR OR TAGOORE.
Rajastan: NAI, SEYIN, NAI BRAMIN
Famous persons in the nayeebramhana community
- Mahapadma nanda (the founder of nanda dynasty King)
- Bhai sahib singh
- koundinay the great sage
- Hadapada appanna, the great sharana
- Bijjalla II, the famous king of kalachuri, in whose court Basavanna was present
- all the rulers of kalachuri ruled the north karnataka
- Sain, nai, ethnic marathi-speaker, wrote an Abhangs devoted to krishna
- schidananda, Nai, devotee of dattatreya
- Agastya the great sage
- Adi sankara (madhwas community)
- sri narayana guru (madhwas community)
- Kambar (Tamil ramayana writer 9th century A.D)
- Manickavasagar one of the god in nayanars
- Shadkala Govinda Marar
- Abraham pandithar
- K. Muraleedharan
- Vaishakh Marar
- Viswanata pandithar freedom fighter
- Mandolin srinivas famous Musician, kanchikamapitam Astana vidwan
- Annavarapu ramaswami he is well known violinist at vijayawada (Andhrapradesh)
- A.K.C Natarajan the famous Musician Sangita pandi
- D.r G.Ethirajulu the first qualified orthopaedic surgeon in Andhrapradesh
- D.r Rallapati Aravind The first guynic doctor in uttarandhra
- D.r Ramlingam president of IMCOPS, chennai
- D.r.Anbanandam, Annamalai university
- D.r.Anandam of Home Medicines
- Dr. G.Pandithurai, Scientist, IITM
- T.Sivapackiam, Former DRO
- Bhoobalan, Former High court Judge, Madurai
- Abishek nayar cricketer
- Kalinger D.r M.K karunanidhi Tamil Nadu C.M
- Veerappa moily Karnataka C.M, Present UNION Minister
- K.Karunakaran Kerala C.M
- R.Sankar kerala C.M
- Karpoori thakur Bihar C.M
- Rameswara thakur Governor of Karnataka
- Kalanidhi maran centrelminister, SUNNETWORK owner, IPL SUNRISERS hyderabad owner
- Dayanidhi maran Unionminister
- M.K Stalin Tamil Nadu deputy C.M
- P.PanneerSelvam, Ex.Director of Handlooms & Textiles, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- M.K Alagiri Central minister
- Murasoli maran Central minister
- M.K Kanimozhi, Rajya Sabha MP
- Udaynidhi stalin Hero/singer/producer-Red Giant movies
- Udaykiran Telugu top Hero
- Snehaullal Heroin
- M.k muttu Film Actor
- Bhuvanesh N Devadiga, Pixadox Technologies Entrepreneur, Udupi
- B S Sherigar, Ex. Vice-Chancellor, Kuvempu University, Shimoga
- S.Shankar INDIAN TOP Film DIRECTOR
- Bhagyaraj famous director
- A.T pannirselvam MINISTOR
- Mani maran famous director, writer
- Vettri Maran famous Director, Writer, Producer
- Thavil vithwan Thedchanamoorthy (Alaveddy)
- Nathaswara vidwan N K Pathmanathan (Alaveddy)
- Thanjavur Quartet
- Thiruvarur Bakthavathsalam
- Veena Dhanammal
- Namagiripettai Krishnan
- Madurai Somu
- T. Ranganathan
- T. Viswanathan
- T. Muktha
- T. Brinda
- T. R. Rajakumari - Tamil film actress
- T. R. Papa - Tamil film music director
- T. A. Mathuram- Tamil actress
- E. V. Saroja - Tamil actress and dancer
- M. K. Muthu - Tamil film actor and singer
- C. S. Jayaraman - playback singer in Tamil films
- S. Shankar - Tamil film director
- Sripriya - Tamil film actress
- Manikka Vinayagam - Tamil playback singer
- Dhayanidhi Alagiri - Tamil film producer
- Arulnithi - Tamil film actor
- Siva Karthikeyan - TV Host and Tamil film actor
People with Isai Vellalar ancestry or heritage