- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on July 13 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Pairaphrase. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Pairaphrase, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Pairaphrase.
Pairaphrase is a web-based translation management system classified as computer assisted translation (CAT) software and machine translation software. The software is created by Language Arts & Science, LLC and uses dynamic statistical machine translation, artificial intelligence and translation memory (TM) management to translate source text and electronic files inputted by the end user from one language to another. Pairaphrase is intended for secure gisting and document translation and collaborative translation within multinational organizations.
Pairaphrase was founded in Royal Oak, Michigan in 2014 by Rick Woyde. Woyde is also the founder of Language Arts & Science LLC, a translation solutions and services provider. He founded Pairaphrase after discovering a security gap and the lack of ease of use in common translation tools. The company is currently headquartered in Birmingham, Michigan. 
Language Translation Process
As a Microsoft Translator Silver Partner, Pairaphrase uses Microsoft Translator’s framework to help produce its translations. Source text is translated from scanned documents, PDF’s, and other file types that are uploaded into the web-based translation software. The user can choose to translate multiple files simultaneously or one at a time. The Translation Wizard is Pairaphrase’s tool that allows the user to copy and paste text for translation.
The software uses artificial intelligence to rapidly learn users’ words and phrases, and it stores previously translated language in the organization’s translation memories for future reuse and learning. Pairaphrase uses dynamic statistical machine translation to auto-populate repetitive sentences and phrases.
Translation Data Security
Pairaphrase emphasizes secure online gisting and document translation for data security risk management. The software stores translations in the end user’s or organization’s own account for translation memory purposes and does not return translation for indexing, storing or publishing in search engines.
Content is scrubbed clean from the translation wizard upon exiting or refreshing the page. The software allows translation data to be deleted at the user’s discretion. Pairaphrase uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption on its web pages where translations are entered, performed and stored. This also applies to other personal data such as payment information.
- SHA-2 and 2048-bit encryption
- 256-bit SSL certification
- Encrypted file storage via Amazon S3
- PCI-compliant payment processing via PaySimple
- SSAE 16 SOC1 and ISO/IEC 27001 compliant translation data centers
- Compliance with Safe Harbor Principles via Microsoft
- Two-step authentication
- Private cloud deployment and on-site hosting
Common User Industries
While multinational organizations from various industries use Pairaphrase, the following industries are common users of the software for reasons involving data security.
- Language Service Providers (LSP’s)
- Marketing Communications
Pairaphrase translates to and from the 55 languages listed below.
- Bosnian (Latin)
- Bosnian (Cyrillic)
- Chinese (Simplified)
- Chinese (Traditional)
- French (Canada)
- French (France)
- Haitian Créole
- Hmong Dawn
- Norwegian, Bokmal
- Norwegian, Nynorsk
- Spanish (Argentina)
- Spanish (Latin America)
- Spanish (Spain)
- Spanish (Mexico)
- Spanish (United States)
- Yucatec Maya
Supported File Types
Pairaphrase translates the 22 file types listed below. Existing translation memories from competitive translation memory software can be imported to Pairaphrase in translation memory exchange (.tmx) format.
- Word (.docx)
- Excel (.xlsx)
- PowerPoint (.pptx)
- XML for Android
- Adobe InDesign (IDML)
- Autocad (.dxf)
- JPG (scanned text)
- PNG (scanned text)
- MS Visio (.vsd)
- Resource files (.strings)
- JSON (.json)
- Portable Objects (.po)
- Plain Text (.txt)
- Srt (YouTube subtitles)
Pairaphrase uses file encoding to automatically format output documents to match the originals. Line spacing, text size, font, font properties, image placement and paragraph breaks are carried over to the new translated document. For instance, a user can translate a PDF and keep the formatting. The same applies to PowerPoint decks, InDesign files and other supported file types.
Pairaphrase contains a voice-over translation software component, allowing users to output voice-overs in foreign languages for online education, training videos, marketing communication and films. The user inputs text and the software translates it to create a downloadable MP3 or WAV file in a male or female voice speaking the text in the new language. 18 languages are supported in this feature.
Name & Logo
The software's name and logo allude to the pairing of language translations that result from the use of translation memory.
- Comparison of machine translation applications
- Comparison of computer-assisted translation tools
- List of translation software
- Translation memory software
- Voice-over translation
- Globalization management system
- "Pairaphrase Pushes Smart, Secure Language Translation Software". Xconomy. http://www.xconomy.com/detroit-ann-arbor/2016/07/07/pairaphrase/. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Pairaphrase". Crunchbase. https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/pairaphrase. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Microsoft Translator Partners". Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/translator/partners.aspx. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Making Online Translation Safe". Pairaphrase. https://www.pairaphrase.com/about-pairaphrase/making-online-translation-safe/. Retrieved 2 January 2017.