Peter Millar (company)
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on November 11 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Peter_Millar_(company). All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Peter_Millar_(company), the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Peter_Millar_(company).
- This article does not need additional references for verification. Please help by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material will not be challenged and removed. (November 2017)
Peter Millar was founded in 2001 by Greg Oakley, Chet Sikorski and Chris Knott. The company’s name was inspired by an inscription Knott discovered on an antique lawn bowling ball given to him by his mother. In 2005, Scott Mahoney, former executive at Polo Ralph Lauren, teamed with Sea Island Company to purchase Peter Millar and then took leadership as Chief Executive Officer.[no citations needed here]
In 2007, Peter Millar signed a license agreement with Empire Clothing of Canada for manufacturing and distribution of Peter Millar’s tailored clothing line. In 2009, Winona Capital Management, a Chicago-based private equity firm, purchased a majority interest in Peter Millar from the Sea Island Company.[no citations needed here]
In 2011, Peter Millar moved its design and marketing headquarters to a new showroom in downtown Raleigh, NC, and opened a warehouse space and offices in Durham, NC.[no citations needed here]
In 2012, Peter Millar was acquired by Richemont SA, a Swiss-based luxury goods holding company whose brands include Cartier (jeweler), Van Cleef & Arpels, Montblanc (company), Vacheron Constantin, and Jaeger-LeCoultre.[no citations needed here]
In March 2015, founder Chris Knott announced his retirement.[no citations needed here]
In 2011, Peter Millar opened its first company-owned retail store in Southampton. In late 2014, Peter Millar opened a flagship retail store in New York at 536 Madison Avenue.[no citations needed here]
Current retail locations include:
- Southampton — 2011
- Palm Beach — 2011
- New York — 2014
- Austin — 2014
- Raleigh — 2015
- Atlanta — 2016
- Denver — 2016
- Sea Island Collection Shop — 2016
- Dallas — 2017
- Nashville — 2017
- Broadmoor — 2017
In September 2017, it was reported that Peter Millar would be opening its Massachusetts location in Boston’s Seaport in 2018.
The brand’s motto is "Life. Styled."[no citations needed here]
Every Peter Millar shipment includes a signature mint inside the box.
In 2011, United States Presidents Cup Captain, Fred Couples, choose Peter Millar to outfit the entire U.S. team for the 2011 matches in Melbourne, Australia. In 2013 and 2015, the brand was selected as the official apparel provider for the International Team at The Presidents Cup.[no citations needed here]
- "WS Development Announces Peter Millar Will Open Its First Massachusetts Location in the Seaport" (in en-US). Boston Real Estate Times. 2017-09-21. http://bostonrealestatetimes.com/ws-development-announces-peter-millar-will-open-its-first-massachusetts-location-in-the-seaport/.
- Roy Green Jr., "Knott puts Peter Millar on map with mint touch", The News & Observer, June 1, 2010