- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on December 9 2017. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Stephen_Raymond. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Stephen_Raymond, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Stephen_Raymond.
Template:Use Pakistani English Stephen Raymond was born in Karachi, Pakistan. His father was Judge Edward Raymond. His siblings included Archbishop Leonard Raymond of Nagpur and Judge Herman Raymond of the Sindh High Court. He was educated at St Patrick's High School, Karachi. He received his religious training at the Papal Seminary, Kandy, Sri Lanka and was ordained a priest of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Karachi.
He became the first Pakistani principal of his alma mater in 1950. The era of Fr Raymond as principal from 1950 to 1974 is referred by old students as the 'golden era' of St Patrick's. Fr Raymond is credited with starting the Cambridge Building (1950), St Patrick's College (1952), the Teachers' Training College (1969), the first School Auditorium (1972). The school also celebrated its Centenary in 1962 under his stewardship, with the President of Pakistan, Field Marshal Mohammad Ayub Khan as the Chief Guest.
He was described by a long-serving teacher, Yolande Henderson, as "the most charismatic human being" she had ever known. In a 2013 tribute to the late Bishop Anthony Theodore Lobo, Henderson eulogised Raymond calling him " an educational visionary and leader."
Father Stephen Raymond died in the UK on 28 January 1999. A memorial meeting was held in Karachi on 5 February 1999. Justice Wajihuddin Ahmed, the Chief Justice of the Sindh High Court and alumnus of the school, paid glowing tribute to the late Principal.
St Patrick's High School was one of the few private educational institutes in Sindh or Punjab provinces that escaped nationalization in 1972 under former Pakistan prime minister Z.A. Bhutto.
On 6 May 2011, The Old Patricians (former students of the school) presented the Father Stephen Raymond Gold Medal to the top student from the Commerce section at the closing ceremony of the 150th anniversary of the school.
- "Dawn". September 5, 2004. http://www.dawn.com/weekly/cowas/20040905.htm.
- Mascarenhas, Oswin (2011). The Origin and Evolution of St Lawrence's Parish, Karachi, Pakistan: The Garden Area with the Settlement of the Christian Community. (Kindle Location 1449). Kindle Edition.
- "147 years of St. Patrick's High School". 17 March 2009. http://www.randomthoughts.pk/cvnotpublished/03-17-09.htm.
- Christian Voice, 10 March 2013.
- "Dawn". 7 November 1999. http://www.dawn.com/weekly/cowas/991107.htm.
- "UCANews.com". 3 March 1998. http://www.ucanews.com/1998/03/03/sindh-chief-justice-says-government-should-return-nationalized-schools/?key=st.+patrick's+technical+school+karachi.
- The Old Patricians website; accessed 8 April 2012.