- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on June 23 2018. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Syed_Taj. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Syed_Taj, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Syed_Taj.
Syed Saba Taj (born September 7, 1946) is a member of the Board of Trustees of Canton, Michigan and was the Democratic nominee for Template:Ushr for the 113th United States Congress. He stepped down from his post as Chief of Medicine at Oakwood Hospital in Dearborn in March 2012 in order to concentrate on his campaign.
Early life, education and career
Taj was born in Gaya, India, attended Patna University and Med School, worked for Bihar State Health Services, moved to the UK for postgraduate training in 1974, and moved to the United States in 1982 or 1983.
Taj completed his medical residency at Oakwood Hospital and eventually became Chairman of the Medicine Department.
Taj was elected as the only Democrat on the Canton Board of Trustees in 2008 with 20,000 votes, 18.63% of the total. In office, he supported council legislation to lower property taxes and water bills. He also served on the board of directors of the Canton Community Foundation and the Wayne County Senior Alliance.
2012 U.S. House campaign
Taj is a Muslim and has been accused of "having ties to Islamic extremism" by an outside Super PAC because his campaign received a donation from the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR). Taj denies having extremist sympathies and says that the allegations are merely racial and religious slurs.
Taj lost in the November general election to his Republican opponent, Kerry Bentivolio.
According to a Plymouth-Canton Patch candidate survey, Taj stated that he supports tax incentives to hire new workers during recessions, eliminating tax loopholes, fair trade legislation, greater benefits for veterans, and tax reform. Taj has publicly supported the Affordable Care Act but stated that wanted to improve it. He also opposes privatizing Social Security and Medicare, and supports seeking other avenues to raise revenues for program solvency.
Taj created a scholarship for Canton students through the Canton Community Foundation, and is a devout member of his community mosque. He came to Michigan to join his wife Sofia's family. She is an artist, author and poet. His son is studying at the University of Michigan in preparation for medical school.
- Slezak, Joe. "Oakwood doctor hopes he’s got prescription to cure nation’s, region’s ills". Dearborn Press & Guide. http://www.pressandguide.com/articles/2012/08/18/news/doc502e9579de380743350201.txt. Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- Bentivolio, Taj keep 11th district interesting," Detroit News, August 9, 2012 http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120809/OPINION03/208090388
- "Reindeer farmer Kerry Bentivolio, Dr. Syed Taj win primaries in Thad McCotter's district" http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2012/08/reindeer_farmer_kerry_bentivol.html
- Kumar, Rachna. "Dr. Syed Taj, Pride of Bihar". Bihar Urdu Youth Forum. Archived from the original on 16 April 2013. https://archive.is/20130416023722/http://www.urduyouthforum.org/biography/Dr._Syed_Taj__biography.php. Retrieved 6 September 2012.
- Oakland County Register of Deeds, 2008 Election Results" http://www.canton-mi.org/clerk/2005_elections/110408_general_election.html
- Springer, Richard. "Michigan Doctor Vows Policy Focus in Congressional Bid". IndiaWest. http://www.indiawest.com/news/2017-michigan-doctor-vows-policy-focus-in-congressional-bid.html#.TuvJaVA4-64.facebook.
- "Oakland County Clerk/Register of Deeds, August 7, 2012 Primary Election Results." http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/MI/Oakland/41155/95256/en/summary.html
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ”Candidate Profile, Dr. Syed Taj, http://plymouth-mi.patch.com/articles/candidate-profile-dr-syed-taj
- ”Democracity, Sr. Syed Taj Profile” http://democracity.org/page.php?id=8
- “Democrat Says He Can Win 11th District,” Michigan Radio, August 9, 2012. http://michiganradio.org/term/syed-taj
- Dr. Taj Official Website, Medicare.” http://www.tajforcongress.com/issues/medicare
- "Newcomer Bentivolio Wins, Will Face Taj," Detroit News, August 8, 2012. http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120808/POLITICS01/208080367
- "Scholarships". Canton Community Foundation. http://www.cantonfoundation.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=115.
- Kang, Mohammad. "Dr. Syed Taj Offers a Challenge to Incumbent Thaddeus McCotter". East West Link News. http://www.ewlnews.com/3/post/2012/1/dr-syed-taj-offers-a-challenge-to-incumbent-thaddeus-mccotter.html.