Thompson & Knight
- This article was considered for deletion at Wikipedia on October 4 2016. This is a backup of Wikipedia:Thompson_&_Knight. All of its AfDs can be found at Wikipedia:Special:PrefixIndex/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Thompson_&_Knight, the first at Wikipedia:Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Thompson_&_Knight.
- This article does not need additional references for verification. Please help by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material will not be challenged and removed. (June 2014)
Thompson & Knight LLP is a law firm of more than 300 attorneys based in the United States. The company is headquartered in Dallas, Texas, with additional U.S. offices in Texas, New York, and California, and international offices and associations in the Americas, North Africa, and Europe.
The firm’s practice areas include corporate and securities, environmental and health law, intellectual property, estate planning and wealth management, taxation, labor and employment, and investment and hedge funds. It also focuses on international joint ventures, foreign investments, mergers and acquisitions, project finance, and licensing agreements. The company serves energy, construction, financial, hospitality, telecommunication, transportation, and retail industries. Other areas of focus include media and entertainment; oil and gas; technology; food and beverage; real estate; and pharmaceutical sectors.
Thompson & Knight LLP was founded in 1887 by William Thompson and R.E.L. Knight, who were among the earliest law graduates of the University of Texas. When Thompson & Knight was founded, the practice of lawyers in Dallas was essentially rural. There was no income tax law, there were no antitrust statutes, no regulations of business, and lending institutions were generally free to handle their loans in whatever fashion they desired. Law practice then was composed of litigation, real property contracts, business advice, and an occasional will or probate representation.
In many ways, Dallas and Thompson & Knight grew up together. As Dallas progressively matured into an international center for commerce, finance, energy, and technology, Thompson & Knight followed in its footsteps by aligning legal services to the ever-changing business demand. The Firm began expanding into more markets and broader legal services. Thompson & Knight now has U.S. offices in Texas, New York, and California and international offices and associations in the Americas, North Africa, and Europe.
Nearly 100 years ago, the Firm aided in the removal of the Texas and Pacific Railway tracks in downtown Dallas, eliminating a barrier deemed detrimental to the development of the city. In another case, its arguments to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1930 established the proposition that income belonged one-half to the husband and one-half to the wife and could be reported separately for income tax purposes. The Firm's services rendered to another client in 1958 lent to the development and successful testing of the integrated circuit, ushering in the semiconductor and electronics age.
In 2004, Emily Parker, a tax attorney who had previously won one of the largest income tax cases tried in U.S. history, returned to the Firm after serving two and a half years as Deputy Chief Counsel (including ten months as Acting Chief Counsel) of the Internal Revenue Service. Parker now serves as Managing Partner of Thompson & Knight.
- Fort Worth
- Los Angeles
- Mexico City
- New York
Visit http://www.tklaw.com/distinctions-honors/ for the Firm's awards and honors.
Thompson & Knight claims that it does not actively engage in affirmative action when hiring attorneys. But as the first Texas law firm to hire a full-time Chief diversity officer, Thompson & Knight continues to make strides in its goal to become the diversity and inclusion model for the legal communities. T In recognition of these efforts, Thompson & Knight is honored to be the recipient of the following awards and designations:
- One of only two Texas-based law firms to be ranked in the 2014 “50 Best Law Firms for Women” by Working Mother and Flex-Time Lawyers;
- Community of Respect by the Anti-Defamation League;
- Chevron Law Firm Diversity Recognition Award;
- "MultiCultural Law's" Top 100 Law Firms for Diversity, Top 100 Law Firms for Women, Top 100 Law Firms for Hispanics, and Top 100 Law Firms for Native Americans;
- Top 100 Law Firm for Diversity, Top 100 Law Firm for Women, Top 25 Law Firm for Hispanics, and Top 25 Law Firm for Native Americans by MultiCultural Law;
- "Mother-Friendly Worksite" by the Texas Department of State Health Services; and
- "Best Place to Work" by Dallas Business Journal (twelve consecutive years) and Houston Business Journal (three consecutive years).
Thompson & Knight Global Energy Services
- "Company Overview of Thompson & Knight, LLP". Bloomberg Business Week. http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=1064017. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
- "Thompson & Knight names Emily Parker managing partner". DallasNews.com. 2012-02-04. http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20120204-thompson-knight-names-emily-parker-managing-partner.ece. Retrieved 2014-06-10.